Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default AAMI insurance driving trainer day

Hi guys, I am now fully insured with AAMI (my last car insurance company prices kept going higher and higher, my value of my car lower and lower, and the excess went up, yes went UP on top of the normal excess by $2000! And I have a perfect history and have been insured on V8 vehicles from as young as 17).
Anyway, I am now insured with AAMI and they offer all drivers under the age of 25 a FREE defensive training course at AAMI stadium. Just wondering of anyone has done this? Or a fellow ford guy in Adelaide who has the same idea of going to do it?
They will give me a 10% discount (money back) from my premium if I do this in the first 6 months of being insured with them, and the day is free so may be worthwhile?

Old 26-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

If its "free" then whay not, what you have you to loose - UNLESS they make you pay first and you get it back in 10% lots (being discounts on your insurance premium) for the next 10 years

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I've done it. You basically go into a classroom for a few hours and watch some videos and answer some questions. Then they do practical exercises on a skidpan (or they wet a concrete carpark) and make you do a slalom at 20, 30, 35 and 40km/h. They then make you do brake tests and sharp turns. Anyway, all in all, it was pretty good fun and seeing as it was free and it meant lower insurance premium, I think it was worth it.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I am insured with AAMI and when I contacted them about teaching my daughter how to drive with regard to insurance cover the consultant said if she is driving your car this course is available to her at no charge when she gets her "P's". Should be more companies offering this type of thing free as it could result in a few less claims.

You gotta do it it's free and should be fun what have you got to loose?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Been there, done that. I did it in the first year of being insured with aami (not now). Personally the course is a crock, not worth it. But since it's free and it lowers your premium, why not. All it costs you is a day of your time.

All it is is what "WILDB" said. Mostly theory, little driving. And all the point they make with the driving is that the slower you are, the better chance you have to avoid something.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

There has been numerous studies on this kind of thing the driver training etc and there is GENERALLY a main outcomes of these courses in the young people as refered to above that they are trying to avoid and its apparently a fair percentage by memory.

Males - Get over confident and cocky and become worse drivers because they have done the course and can handle the car and blah blah blah

But in the overall numbers I believe its been shown to be a good thing but the problem is the young males who get over confident and are generally the ones driving on fri/sat night and do alot of k's and alas MUCH higher risk of accident and mega bad publicity if he competed the course on friday and sat night kills 4 friends.......

I am not saying its right or wrong just adding info
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
There has been numerous studies on this kind of thing the driver training etc and there is GENERALLY a main outcomes of these courses in the young people as refered to above that they are trying to avoid and its apparently a fair percentage by memory.

Males - Get over confident and cocky and become worse drivers because they have done the course and can handle the car and blah blah blah

But in the overall numbers I believe its been shown to be a good thing but the problem is the young males who get over confident and are generally the ones driving on fri/sat night and do alot of k's and alas MUCH higher risk of accident and mega bad publicity if he competed the course on friday and sat night kills 4 friends.......

I am not saying its right or wrong just adding info
The AAMI courses are not your main stream "defensive driving course on a race track"

There is a lot of discussion about techiniques, it does not focus on skid control, in fact from memory, they DON'T teach the participants "how to control a skid"

A couple of my kids have done them, and I used to work for the company that put the program together across Australia for AAMI, it contains some good info, but like all good info, sometimes it falls on deaf ears, and it depends on the individual teaching it.
Old 27-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross96mac
deleted
Sorry Ross, this thread is about their driver training courses, not about how their 'prefered' people repair cars or give service.

Last edited by Laminge; 27-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah i did the AAMI thingo at Quakers Hill. I just did it for cheaper insurance premium. It was about 2.5 hours in classroom and and 3 hours stuff around slaloms and that. I was driving an Avalon at the time so yeah it was bodyroll galore. Most of the people were P plate chicks in Astra's.

It was wasnt really a driving course, to stop a car they just said slam on the brakes- guess that works if you have ABS, if you dont well thats a really bad idea. The main intention of the course was to scare the bejesus into people to maintain a safe following distance that was about it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Most of the people were P plate chicks in Astra's.
So cheaper premiums and the chance to meet women????? Sounds good........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Only car on the day that could stop before the next cone (12m) at 45kms.

Practical side was good, I recon all new P-Platers should do it. Classroom lessons were a bit cringeworthy by how dumb people are though... "how close do you generally see people following each other when driving... One of the outspoken girls yells out "1 metre" and the rest of the class agreed... I just shook my head.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did this many years ago, drove from Sydney to Canberra to do it. It wasn't bad, but not fantastic. Not only that but it was one of those weekends that highways were being closed because of the rain and storms - I got there, part of the way at 20km/h with headlights on at one stage - the fact that I got there alive I'm not sure I needed a safe driver course after that!

Yes, you can pick up chicks, I had an offer of going to the pub for a drink from some (obviously desperate) but attractive chick after the course, shame the misses was waiting in the motel for me. :(

So meet a few people, have an ok day, and save 10%. If you don't have to travel too far to get there, why not?