Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default hsv direct inj lpg

hsv has a newie for the new year with direct injection gas v8 duell fuel and DOD
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575210021F9AB

burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Is this going to be another media release where latter they don't come up with the goods...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

is HSV going green ???
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a good idea, I like the idea of it switching to petrol when you boot it. I dont follow LPG at all though so that could have been around the last 5 years. Would holden australia have the capacity to convert all these engines themselves or would chev/GM have to give it the ok and make it over there for them?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
is HSV going green ???
Apparently. They are also have a few Diesel mules going about. One which is a BMW turbo diesel. They will confirm the diesels in April next year. They are also hoping to bring out the Corsa VXR and a the Insignia VXR from Europe. So it does sound like they are trying to go green.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden/HSV have a history of announcing projects before they are given the green light. It's funny really because Ford OZ will beat them to having that same gas system fitted to Falcons. But nobody knows that because Ford don't make a song and dance about everything they work on or develop.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

'new technology that you can't get in the aftermarket industry'

yeah, they really did their research on that one. I'm tipping the guys at ALPGW might beg to differ.

they don't actually say what sort of injection it will be. considering it says direct injection i'd imagine they are referring to liquid injection. i'd be mildly amused if this you beaut technology of theirs turns out to be vapour injected.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you go to a lpg place to put your e series on gas, you have two options, the old gravity fed vapour system for around $2600 or liquid injection for around $4500. The second option starts the car on petrol and then when it gets to a nice temp it switches to gas, if you just cruise or light acceleration it will remain on gas, if you boot it or are towing or going up a steep hill then it switches back to petrol. Liquid injection supposedly does not backfire, blow the airbox up(lol) or lose much power because it goes through the injectors and not a "mixer" as such.

Rumor has it that the I6 will be offered as liquid injection shortly as it qualifies as a "green" motor under Ruddy's plan.
Old 18-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so is the current motor direct injection or not? i'm assuming if their lpg system is in fact direct injection and not just standard sequential injection then they have redeveloped the entire top half of the motor...?

edit;
Quote:
Originally Posted by go auto
The dual-fuel system automatically switches from LPG to petrol under engine load to ensure it delivers the kind of performance expected from a muscle car.

The system starts using petrol and then switches to LPG. When the driver presses the throttle hard, the system quickly switches back to petrol for the best possible performance.

Mr Harding said the LPG system had passed the first test: performance delivery.
hmmm, obviously not liquid injection then...seems like good old svi to me
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
When you go to a lpg place to put your e series on gas, you have two options, the old gravity fed vapour system for around $2600 or liquid injection for around $4500. The second option starts the car on petrol and then when it gets to a nice temp it switches to gas, if you just cruise or light acceleration it will remain on gas, if you boot it or are towing or going up a steep hill then it switches back to petrol. Liquid injection supposedly does not backfire, blow the airbox up(lol) or lose much power because it goes through the injectors and not a "mixer" as such.

Rumor has it that the I6 will be offered as liquid injection shortly as it qualifies as a "green" motor under Ruddy's plan.
you have that wrong. the options are mixer or vapour injection. not liquid injection. liquid injection doesn't change over after a certain temperature, it has a set purge time to get any lpg vapour in the fuel lines out, then it changes to lpg. also, liquid injection doesn't need to switch back to petrol because it uses the petrol ecu to control the gas injectors and has it's own pump to keep the pressure constant. the only time it changes back to petrol is if you run out of lpg...
Old 18-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
you have that wrong. the options are mixer or vapour injection. not liquid injection. liquid injection doesn't change over after a certain temperature, it has a set purge time to get any lpg vapour in the fuel lines out, then it changes to lpg. also, liquid injection doesn't need to switch back to petrol because it uses the petrol ecu to control the gas injectors and has it's own pump to keep the pressure constant. the only time it changes back to petrol is if you run out of lpg...
Sorry, If you can't already tell I don't have lpg.........But I only got the names Wrong???????
Old 18-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didn't mean to sound like i was having a go at you...i didn't know you didn't realise the difference...sorry
Old 18-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Either way its seems interesting but it stinks of mouth before money......
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Either way its seems interesting but it stinks of mouth before money......
Why would you come to expect anything else from holden.

I also read thta they are talking of a V8 diesel with the same KW as current 307's. Fact or fiction
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by go auto
The system starts using petrol and then switches to LPG. When the driver presses the throttle hard, the system quickly switches back to petrol for the best possible performance.
Interesting comment this one. I guess they havetn researched that much or they would have seen that the XR6 turbos that have been fitted with liquid LPG injection have actually had a small increase in power.

Good to see the most abundant fuel in aus getting some media attention and usage out of more factories.

Interesting how HSV have changed though, I remember back in the day were trying to discredit Tickford for fitting LPG systems. My how times have changed since that tool left the top job. Next they might even try to hot up a 6cyl heaven forbid.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Are the LS3s direct injection, because there are rumours around that there are direct injection liquid injection systems (as opposed to normal liquid injection) being developed, but I beleive these can only be fitted to direct injection engines. If its not a direct injection liquid injection system then it cant be too much different to any systems on the market now.

No matter what sort of system it is, if it delivers the goods, I beleive it can only be a good thing and might dispell a few of the myths out there on LPG which to me is the most underrated fuel in this country. Now if only Ford could bring out a decent liquid injection system and finally pension off the prehistoric Egas system.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-814
Why would you come to expect anything else from holden.

I also read thta they are talking of a V8 diesel with the same KW as current 307's. Fact or fiction

Fiction.

When they find out what it will cost it will disappear just like all of Holdens big plans. Remember one thing, GM are set to go bust and they don't have any diesels like that in their stable, so Holden sure as won't have an engine option. Methinks that the lads in marketing have confused December with April the 1st.
Oh, and Daewoo have no such Diesel engine either.

Quote: