Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
arlester

Default Dud cars from factory

Do any of our car makers make cars that when complete just dont work.

If so what happens to them? Are they binned an started from scratch or do they find the things that dont work and try to fix them.

Or are the factories able to not make this happen

arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

people buy them and then jump on a forum and complain and whinge and throw the whole brand into the same basket and tell everyone how crap they are.

seriously though..

i assume you mean, when it comes time to turn the key, nothing happens? i guess it could happen but i'm sure they'd just track down the fault and sell it once fixed.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Yeah all "factory seconds" they put Holden badges on them so your average Ford lover can spot a dud a mile away, and then they sell them to the lower intelligence sector of the general public. :
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got stuck on the freeway for the first time in my life not long ago in a Ford, not happy :p
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All cars are fixed, at the end of the production line if a car does not pass all the buyoffs then it is parked to the side and the issue is rectified.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD-Bluey
Yeah all "factory seconds" they put Holden badges on them so your average Ford lover can spot a dud a mile away, and then they sell them to the lower intelligence sector of the general public. :
Thats a classic
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My BA was like that. Picked it up new and it only made it about 200m before it broke down. Every service there was a dozen warranty items to be dealt with. What a hunk of junk that car was.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Im suprised this comment took so long lol 5 hours whats going on we slacking off on the holden bashing these days?? :
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
people buy them and then jump on a forum and complain and whinge and throw the whole brand into the same basket and tell everyone how crap they are.

seriously though..

i assume you mean, when it comes time to turn the key, nothing happens? i guess it could happen but i'm sure they'd just track down the fault and sell it once fixed.
Ford have proven if you deny such a car as a lemon exists, it will have no long term impact on your sales or reputation. The success Ford has today is a tribute to that policy and to the bright future it has built for the company.

But seriously.... umm no thats about it.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester

If so what happens to them? Are they binned an started from scratch or do they find the things that dont work and try to fix them.

As stated they are pulled off line and fixed. The engines are hot tested back in geelong so they know they run, if not it will bring up fault codes which will say why its not running. Or if they seize during start up they are stripped down to see why and the re usable parts are sent back to the line.

Same applies to cars coming off the line, if they don't work they will know why. Parts can be removed and replaced. Same goes for any paint damage, the cars have a reject tag placed on them and they are pulled into a repair area after they come off the line and resprayed/repaired if need be.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then there are a lot of people of inferior intellect out there...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
And actually, more of them than there are of us

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol I think the quote below, taken from another forum (guess which one) in regards to Omega's recent 5 star safety rating backs that up nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Ford isn't going to like this at all, thats their ONLY claim over Holden at the moment. Ah well, Holden wouldn't have to worry about it at all anyways, by the way things are looking, there wont be any rear wheel drive fords in about 5 years anyways............
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
My BA was like that. Picked it up new and it only made it about 200m before it broke down. Every service there was a dozen warranty items to be dealt with. What a hunk of junk that car was.
A person of high importance at Ford Geelong was stuck on the ring road when his 20 min old XR8 broke down. Faulty alternator. But Ford buy them from Bosch. Sometimes sh*it happens................
Old 13-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not implying that about your car but more so that it happens to everyone and is sometimes out of Fords hands.
Old 13-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester

There may very well be a small percentage of cars that sneak out of the factory as 'duds', but you have to look at the other end of the spectrum. Just because one person has a bad experience doesn't take away from the fact that there are Ford's out there that have rolled out of the factory and 5 or even 10yrs later are still waiting for the first problem to arise.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I got stuck on the freeway for the first time in my life not long ago in a Ford, not happy :p
cars do break down, its a fact of life, anyone that says brand x does`nt ever break down needs to get educated, my Au has never let me down, however....i`am resigned to the fact that one day a component could fail and i will be on the side of the road, its a part of motoring life.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
cars do break down, its a fact of life, anyone that says brand x does`nt ever break down needs to get educated, my Au has never let me down, however....i`am resigned to the fact that one day a component could fail and i will be on the side of the road, its a part of motoring life.
Yep very true. I had my first breakdown last year after 5.5 years of ownership (and people say all EAs are lemons). The fuel pump died while at a mate's place. About a month later I snapped the clutch cable, and a couple of months ago my alternator died. These are expected as it's an old car, but I did well not to have a breakdown for so long.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Oh didums! Have had a Toyota broken down, many a Commodore...oh wait no Falcons. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Ford have proven if you deny such a car as a lemon exists, it will have no long term impact on your sales or reputation. The success Ford has today is a tribute to that policy and to the bright future it has built for the company.

But seriously.... umm no thats about it.

Dan
Seriously are you a Bot?? Seems every time you post its the exact same thing. You had issue with your car, get over it. You bought your mazda, you should be happy now.

As said earlier, after the car comes into the PDA area it has fuel put inside and they try starting it. If the car doesn't start its wheeled over to the mechanics bay where they fix it.

Otherwise its driven on to get the tail shaft is balanced with some other checks, then (if its got it) it goes to the IRS balancer, after that it goes through the water test (hopefully they close the windows first) to see if there is any leaks.

Then there are visual tests that are done and some extra tests if there are warrenty problems. After this it will go outside and will go through a squeek and rattle test. If it passes all that then it will go to the holding yard on the Ford side.

When it is to go to the Toll side (to be transported) the car is scanned to see if there is any outstanding problems or internal campains on the car. If there isn't it goes through to the Toll side.

Last edited by vztrt; 13-12-2008 at 04:04 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #21
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
You'd be surprised by the amount of stupid people in this world.
Old 13-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny how some will vow to never drive a certain brand of car after a bad experience, as many have mentioned cars and thier components are not indestructible and do have a certain life span even when treated with the most respect. It happens to all makes and models no matter how young or old. And i know it would be a pain to have a new car you've just bought fail in some way but stop and think for a second, how many thousands of parts, bits and pieces are manufactured then stuck together to create the cars you can buy and drive. There is bound to be some sort of faulty comonent somwhere out of so many that can have you sitting on the side of the road. Now i'm not referring to anyone in particular but what get's me are the people that think this is totally unacceptable and should never ever happen without even realising the process of building a car/ the many many different parts the car is comprised of
Old 13-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Funny how some will vow to never drive a certain brand of car after a bad experience, as many have mentioned cars and thier components are not indestructible and do have a certain life span even when treated with the most respect. It happens to all makes and models no matter how young or old. And i know it would be a pain to have a new car you've just bought fail in some way but stop and think for a second, how many thousands of parts, bits and pieces are manufactured then stuck together to create the cars you can buy and drive. There is bound to be some sort of faulty comonent somwhere out of so many that can have you sitting on the side of the road. Now i'm not referring to anyone in particular but what get's me are the people that think this is totally unacceptable and should never ever happen without even realising the process of building a car/ the many many different parts the car is comprised of
And different suppliers.
Old 13-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Oh didums! Have had a Toyota broken down, many a Commodore...oh wait no Falcons. It happens.

Seriously are you a Bot?? Seems every time you post its the exact same thing. You had issue with your car, get over it. You bought your mazda, you should be happy now.

As said earlier, after the car comes into the PDA area it has fuel put inside and they try starting it. If the car doesn't start its wheeled over to the mechanics bay where they fix it.

Otherwise its driven on to get the tail shaft is balanced with some other checks, then (if its got it) it goes to the IRS balancer, after that it goes through the water test (hopefully they close the windows first) to see if there is any leaks.

Then there are visual tests that are done and some extra tests if there are warrenty problems. After this it will go outside and will go through a squeek and rattle test. If it passes all that then it will go to the holding yard on the Ford side.

When it is to go to the Toll side (to be transported) the car is scanned to see if there is any outstanding problems or internal campains on the car. If there isn't it goes through to the Toll side.
try working in a ford servicing department for a while and then tell us how reliable some models are. they might come of the production line working , but for how long.
Old 14-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #25
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I've owned C*dores twice, the first one in the 1980s wasn't quite able to survive my driving style (speedo at 6 o'clock anyone?).

My more recent one was a VX SS that had to have the motor rebuilt then replaced. The second motor never ran well.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I doubt I'll go to the red side again.

I had a EA for 8 years and took it from 125k to 495k. It failed to proceed three times, twice a battery and once the fuel pump. Isn'lt it funny how reliable a car can be when it is used regularly and serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions?
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
try working in a ford servicing department for a while and then tell us how reliable some models are. they might come of the production line working , but for how long.

Question was posed as to what happens to cars that have issues on the production line. So just gave a very high level overview of the Broady PDA (pre delivery area). Cars are mechanical devices, they will break down. its up to the manufacturer how they fix them and the service that they give the customer if they want to see them again.
Old 14-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
I've owned C*dores twice, the first one in the 1980s wasn't quite able to survive my driving style (speedo at 6 o'clock anyone?).

My more recent one was a VX SS that had to have the motor rebuilt then replaced. The second motor never ran well.

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I doubt I'll go to the red side again.

I had a EA for 8 years and took it from 125k to 495k. It failed to proceed three times, twice a battery and once the fuel pump. Isn'lt it funny how reliable a car can be when it is used regularly and serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions?

Good ol EA funny how everyone jumps on the bandwagon and declares the model an utter POS yet there have been so many that when treated well last for many years including the several we've had in the family but anyway that's a different topic
Old 14-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
Of course you would think that if all you ever worked on is Fords, it skews your perception if the only cars you see with problems are ones you work on all day every day. You could say the same for people who work for Holden or Toyota etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Question was posed as to what happens to cars that have issues on the production line. So just gave a very high level overview of the Broady PDA (pre delivery area). Cars are mechanical devices, they will break down. its up to the manufacturer how they fix them and the service that they give the customer if they want to see them again.
And that Daniel is where Ford falls down. You summed it up well. As someone who still owns a Ford Territory I can say at the moment the score is Mazda faults nll, Territory umm 8. If you include other Fords and Mazda's my wife and I have owned it changes to Mazda 1 and Ford climbs over to something well over 20. To be fair the numbers are dropping because I have found a good mechanic now, who can fix a Ford on the first go, where the dealers take two or three goes to fix the problem, so that helps perceptions a lot.

Anyway this all kind of suggests maybe the process you described is not working so well. So before you jump on the bots case, I would say I like the cars, even the troublesome ones, which is why I still have the Terri and why I hope one day, someone at Ford will realise they have been screwing themselves by believeing the kinds of numbers I and a large enough percentage of owners and fleets experience is an abberation and we will just buy anything with a Ford badge, because Joe down the road never had a problem with his second hand Falcon.

If they fix the cars and the dealers, I will probably be back with a cheque in hand. I think its possible for Ford to fix both, but I grant you that I may well be an external optimist on that one. I would love a new GT, just not one like the piece of shot I had last time.

Sales before this latest market downturn, suggest Ford was screwing themselves but not being able to spell, much less understand customer service. Denial is not a river in Egypt Daniel.

Bot out.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You guys are lucky that you didn't get too many Mk 4 Zephyr's .. That V6 was BAD news !! Yes the same V6 that was fitted to Capri..
In NZ there where more 289/ 302 Zephyrs / Zodiacs than V6's... On paper not a bad car for 1966... Four wheel disc brakes, Four speed manual, IRS rear suspension..
Over heating was there main issue.. One of the radiator intake ducts would close over radiator at speed then go back to normal when stopped.. Didn't help that top of radiator was under heads also..
Scrol down to Mk lV Zephyr..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zodiac The Mk 3 was a realiable car...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post