Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
jonk

Default Ford's Plant in Brazil - video.

Got this from a contact in the US. Caps aren't mine.

WE RECOMMEND THAT ONE TAKE THE TIME TO VIEW THIS SITE. IT GIVES A . VERY POSITIVE PICTURE OF THE AUTO INDUSTRY IN SOUTH AMERICA & WHY. DETROIT PEOPLE CAN LEARN & BAIL OUT BY THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT THE TOTAL ANSWER. ATTITUDE CHANGE IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO OVERCOME.

This may open some eyes!

This is a video of a new Ford plant in Brazil . One look at this and each of you will instantly be able to tell what is wrong with the manufacturing plants of the US car makers and why there will probably never be another one built in the US. It will also point out why more will go off shore.

Ford's most advanced assembly plant

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats pretty impressive stuff.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Wow.... just... Wow...

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find that Ford Australia is setup the same however not as many different suppliers. The territory, falcon, falcon ute, wagon and once upon a time, fairlane, all rolled down the same line. They may be the same car essentially, but they all still count as five different body styles. People forget just how flexible and ingenious Ford Oz's operations are.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That is very impressive, and the way it should be if a car manufacture is to survive.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Guess my F250 must have come down the line of the old factory.

Taraus X has been just canned in the US and Panther platform has to go one day. Surely Falcon could go Stateside.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Its good to have an insight like that. The whole process just looks 'tight'.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I think you will find that Ford Australia is setup the same however not as many different suppliers. The territory, falcon, falcon ute, wagon and once upon a time, fairlane, all rolled down the same line. They may be the same car essentially, but they all still count as five different body styles. People forget just how flexible and ingenious Ford Oz's operations are.

Thats what I was thinking. The problem in Australia is that its an old plant (not built in 2001) so they have constraints. But I understood at the end that the union is killing lean manufacturing improvements in the US....surprise surpsrise.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Got this from a contact in the US. Caps aren't mine.

WE RECOMMEND THAT ONE TAKE THE TIME TO VIEW THIS SITE. IT GIVES A . VERY POSITIVE PICTURE OF THE AUTO INDUSTRY IN SOUTH AMERICA & WHY. DETROIT PEOPLE CAN LEARN & BAIL OUT BY THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT THE TOTAL ANSWER. ATTITUDE CHANGE IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE TO OVERCOME.

This may open some eyes!

This is a video of a new Ford plant in Brazil . One look at this and each of you will instantly be able to tell what is wrong with the manufacturing plants of the US car makers and why there will probably never be another one built in the US. It will also point out why more will go off shore.

Ford's most advanced assembly plant

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

i say good on them . and let them be the best if they can . cant comment on the US . but in australia , a factory like this would never exist, because corperate australia are too busy trying to keep reducing costs and cut budgets whilst charging way to much . which are all geared towards huge shareholder profits and fat cat salaries . so i appluad companies with enogh insite to reward and treat all of its staff and employees with conditions like we see here .
they deserve it / because whoever runs this plant is a very very smart cookie .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

gtfpv, you havent been to the campbellfield plant have ya?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
but in australia , a factory like this would never exist, because corperate australia are too busy trying to keep reducing costs and cut budgets whilst charging way to much . .
Rubbish !!

Go visit the Broadmeadows Assembly plant and watch JIT line side delivery from all the major suppliers, and also the flexible body shop.

The only thing missing is the complete pre-assembly of the drive train and rear suspension in one module - that'll probably happen with Focus.

Suggest you learn your stuff before you 'slag off' the locals...............
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

yeah sorry . i guess i was generalising . . ford australia do produce great cars in my opinion . i hope they are a great company as seems to be the case in brazil. no i havent been to the ford australia plant .
i'm glad some companies do have it together here .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
bob^
LPS

Their only downfall is having the assembly plant 100km away from the manufacturing plant...
But yes, Ford Oz assembly line is impressive to watch, much like in that video.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Remember Ford Australia showed up Mazda on when it was pointed out that they were wasting time in their manufacturing process.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And as impressive as all that looks, imagine if you saw a video of Toyota's Japanese operations? Makes that Brazilian plant look like a go kart factory. It is very impressive. Very smart manufacturers the Japanese.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Once again, the US unions are shown to be the major roadblock to innovation in the auto sector there with regards to assembly. There will be no auto workers left before they get to a plant model like Brazil or even Australia.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #17
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford tried to build that plant in the US, the UAW would have a fit. This, incidentally, is what is holding back any Ford products which roll off the Broady line making their way to the States.

Unions have their place, but not to the detrement of the employers or the industry, and eventually the employees, in which they operate.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
And as impressive as all that looks, imagine if you saw a video of Toyota's Japanese operations? Makes that Brazilian plant look like a go kart factory. It is very impressive. Very smart manufacturers the Japanese.
Thus why Japan has spent the last two decades in recession :

Japan is no longer the economic model to follow. Most "Japanese" cars are now built outside Japan. I suspect the profitability of the Brazillian plant has more to do with lower overheads (wages, taxes etc.) than production efficiency otherwise the Broadmeadows plant would be profitable.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
axeray

That's very impressive.

Wow
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its really no different to Broadmeadows, except it's newer. Ford's Business Park, on the Broadmeadows site, I think, has DANA, Venture, Autoliv and other suppliers supplying parts directly to the production line just in time.

A few years ago Fords Stamping Plant was the highest ranked plant based on the Ford Production System rankings, with the engine plant and Broadmeadows right behind it, so Ford Australia don't play second fiddle to anyone.

I had a mate who works for Toyota just come back from a plant in Thailand, and he reckons the plants are absolute dumps. He said that on some of the presses the workers had to duck down in the middle of the press, so when it cycled they wouldn't get crushed. OH&S does not exist over there. If they didn't duck every time the press cycled they would probably be killed. Unbelieveable.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I had a mate who works for Toyota just come back from a plant in Thailand, and he reckons the plants are absolute dumps. He said that on some of the presses the workers had to duck down in the middle of the press, so when it cycled they wouldn't get crushed. OH&S does not exist over there. If they didn't duck every time the press cycled they would probably be killed. Unbelieveable.
I havent been to Thailand but did have a look at some European manufacturers and the difference in things like press guarding is massive. A lot of people think wages is the sole reason why oz manufacturers cant compete in reality there are many reasons - OH&S, Enviromental, and Govt taxes and charges come to mind

Plants like that can be built anywhere, the reasons why it was built in Brasil is because its considered to be a "low cost centre" its also part of the merging BRIC countries that are tipped to be the next industrial powerhouses

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 12-12-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added info
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia is a very, very efficiently run operation. And is more profitable than Holden, even with all their exports. This also goes into factoring why Ford Oz will get the Focus contract and not Thailand. Bossxr8 has touched on OH&S, Ford Oz is the most safest plant to work for in the Ford world. Also, it's not the wages that make cars so expensive, it's the overheads like oh&s, taxes, training, etc.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #23
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a read of this about the Camacari plant and what this pro union bloke is saying -

http://willyloman.wordpress.com/2008...orate-welfare/

Underneath are some response from what appear to be auto workers/UAW members.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
barbarian
Banned

barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Kocaeli, home of the Transit
Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Have a read of this about the Camacari plant and what this pro union bloke is saying -

Good God...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #27
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Good God...
Therein lies the problem with America..... Americans...lol
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is just amazing stuff

GO FORDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD HAHAHA
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron

Wow so the global credit crisis is a conspiracy... well thats a relief

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's about time the union's are bought down a peg or too. You should hear the things the American workers receive.....

- Health insurance for life
- College degree if retrenched
- Full pay for a period if unable to find another job after being retrenched