Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Tata's Jaguar/Land Rover, In Secret Plea For 1 Billion Pound Government Loan.

JAGUAR LAND ROVER (JLR) is in secret talks with the government for a £1 billion loan, just nine months after Tata, the Indian conglomerate, bought the luxury-car marque.

The request demonstrates the sharp downturn in the global car market, which has already pushed a handful of the big car manufacturers to the edge of bankruptcy.

The speed of the economic decline has not just hit the motor industry. A number of large British-based industrial groups are also considering asking the government for financial support. If help is not given tens of thousands of jobs are at stake.

According to one government official familiar with the approach made by JLR, Gordon Brown is studying the request and an answer could be made in the next fortnight.

Tata paid $2.3 billion for JLR and financed the acquisition with a $3 billion (£2 billion) bridging loan. Since then sales of new cars have plunged which has caused big problems with the cash flow needed to service debt payments.

It comes at a time when Tata – one of India’s most successful companies – is also facing financial issues. It paid $11.3 billion 22 months ago for steelmaker Corus and since then the metal price has collapsed. Similarly, shares in Tata Consulting Services, its American-listed IT business, have also tumbled, as have shares in Tata Motors.

Ratan Tata, the conglomerate’s chairman, has put on hold further acquisitions amid the difficulty in raising bank finance and in the face of the economic slowdown.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5213217.ece

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alan Mulally is either a genius blessed with tremendous foresight or he is the luckiest son of a bi#$h getting around. If Ford survive the next 12-18 months it will be because of that man.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Geez, talk about a case of perfect timing by Ford.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Alan Mulally is either a genius blessed with tremendous foresight or he is the luckiest son of a bi#$h getting around. If Ford survive the next 12-18 months it will be because of that man.

I think he can see when a company is goin down the toilet, he did bring Boeng back from the dead. All I can say is I'm glad he is running the Ford op.
Old 25-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

I actualy thought that it was a bad move from FOMOCO (selling) at the time.

But know

THANK GOD FORD SOLD THEM.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I too thought they were mad for selling JLR, Aston Martin as well, could of been the best thing they could have ever done, that said, it would be really sad to see either of these important companies go down.
Old 25-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I personally was more said to see Aston Martin go but Jaguar and Land Rover ehhhhh
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I personally was more sad to see Aston Martin go but Jaguar and Land Rover ehhhhh
Ditto.

Also, I question the accuracy of the article.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Why should Tata be asking the British Government (I assume this is the case based on the article) for money? Why can't they ask the Indian government?
I thought Tata was the largest and richest company/family in India.
Seems a little suss to me.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
Sprint XR8

Jaguar and Land Rover Looking For Government Bailout
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/133...nment-bailout/
Car manufacturers everywhere are suffering under the double whammy of the global credit crisis and stalled sales. It comes as no surprise then that luxury marques are also feeling the brunt of the economic storm. British manufacturers Jaguar and Land Rover, recently acquired by Tata, have now joined the ranks of those in desperate need of financial aid in order to keep the wheels turning.

Tata is seeking £1 billion (AUD$2.4 billion) in loans from the British government and is expecting a decision from Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the near future.

A spokesperson for Jaguar and Land Rover outlined the current situation:

“The automotive industry is facing unprecedented trading conditions as a direct fall out of the banking crisis and turbulence in financial markets and we are of course keeping government appraised of the impact on our business.”

Some may wonder at Tata going cap in hand to the British government looking for help, after having only just put down USD$2.3 billion (AUD$3.8 billion) on acquiring the brands in June. Isn’t that a bit cheeky? Of course, few, including Tata, could have predicted just how bad things would get.

With most major markets now stumbling into recession, auto manufacturers face a torrid couple of years ahead. What the future now holds for Jaguar and Land Rover looks decidedly uncertain. Let us know what you think: should the British government lend a hand or should Tata be left to carry the consequence of its decision to purchase these companies?
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both brands are both very big, and very British. Unfortunately "big" and "British" don't go well together anymore, I always liked them. This is what could happen in Australia if people sell their Falcons and Commodores and buy a Toyota Yaris. Or in America if people sell their locally made big cars and buy a Jetta. So the Brits need to buy Jags and LRs, Aussies need to buy Falcodores, and Americans need to buy American-made cars from the big 3.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Well I guess that means that the funding for the Force India F1 team is rooted.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Why should Tata be asking the British Government (I assume this is the case based on the article) for money? Why can't they ask the Indian government?
I thought Tata was the largest and richest company/family in India.
Seems a little suss to me.
Because Jag and LR manufacture all their vehicles in the UK, so the money would help keep British jobs in place, not to save Indian ones, but I get what your saying.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Well I guess that means that the funding for the Force India F1 team is rooted.
Force India isn't owned by Tata. It's owned by Vijay Mallya who owns the Kingfisher brand (airline and beers amongst the stuff they do)

Jeremy Clarkson, Mar 19th 2006 car review
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post