Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
XW_GS
Paulie

Default Ultimate Security System?

Ladies Gents,

Since the last few cars thefts that i have read about around the forums,im worrying about my cars and im thinking of "The Ultimate" or at least a decent electronic system.

Apart from dogs,

bolsters, shotguns etc

cameras

I'l just throw these at u guys for an electronic solution to protect your pride and joy.

1 or 2 unaccessible alarm panels not in garage possibly under house or (ie all the electronics) etc.

reed switches on roller doors.

dual alarm detector for inside garage, none if carport.

Supervised siren cables (ie if cut then system will dial out)

All cables are supervised anyway so if anything is cut then will dial out.

1 or 2 Batteries Backup of course

2 cables going to the car and possible wired around bumper bars etc, once this cable is shorted or opened alarm will sound or dial out.

Have multiple sirens around the house.

Have a mobile GPRS mobile dialller as backup. (incase phone line is cut)

Have a solar panel to charge battery if power is cut for a long period of time.

If you have electric gates or roller doors, these will automatically close when unit has gone into alarm mode.

all/most cabling to be underground (in conduit and or concreted over)

if phone cable is cut then siren will activate and GPRS dialer will activate.

pressure pads under tyres

No radio key fobs to activate or deactivate alarm.

One access code, only you know code.

The idea is to get the alarm to sound before any thief gets close to the car.

If they do you want to slow down time they take the car out to the street.

advise neighbors

These are a few things that i have though of recently mind, any additions would be appreciated.

Any criticism would be great but with justification.

Im serious about this as i'm now really worried about the security of my cars and since im into electronics and can access security equipment, this may benefit a lot of us

Cheers Paul

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

yes they do seem to be targeting older falcons. there was a recent spree of break ins for keys for BA/F falcons recently. the xr6 the same color 3 houses down got hit. i think my spoiler deters the common theif from identifying it as an XR6. since then i can walk past the carport window anywhere from once to 20 times a night. the last 1 can be anywhere around 2 - 4 am. no1s going to have my car easy..

have u thought about building some sort of 2 car panel that lowers underground or something. that would be cool.
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGS351
Ladies Gents,

Since the last few cars thefts that i have read about around the forums,im worrying about my cars and im thinking of "The Ultimate" or at least a decent electronic system.

Apart from dogs,

bolsters, shotguns etc

cameras

I'l just throw these at u guys for an electronic solution to protect your pride and joy.

1 or 2 unaccessible alarm panels not in garage possibly under house or (ie all the electronics) etc.

reed switches on roller doors.

dual alarm detector for inside garage, none if carport.

Supervised siren cables (ie if cut then system will dial out)

All cables are supervised anyway so if anything is cut then will dial out.

1 or 2 Batteries Backup of course

2 cables going to the car and possible wired around bumper bars etc, once this cable is shorted or opened alarm will sound or dial out.

Have multiple sirens around the house.

Have a mobile GPRS mobile dialller as backup. (incase phone line is cut)

Have a solar panel to charge battery if power is cut for a long period of time.

If you have electric gates or roller doors, these will automatically close when unit has gone into alarm mode.

all/most cabling to be underground (in conduit and or concreted over)

if phone cable is cut then siren will activate and GPRS dialer will activate.

pressure pads under tyres

No radio key fobs to activate or deactivate alarm.

One access code, only you know code.

The idea is to get the alarm to sound before any thief gets close to the car.

If they do you want to slow down time they take the car out to the street.

advise neighbors

These are a few things that i have though of recently mind, any additions would be appreciated.

Any criticism would be great but with justification.

Im serious about this as i'm now really worried about the security of my cars and since im into electronics and can access security equipment, this may benefit a lot of us

Cheers Paul
Why not just hire a sercurity guard looks like it might be cheaper
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

maybe not as reliable though....how many have you seen asleep on the job?
Sounds good, but you'd want your cars to be worth the hassel. I imagine replacing the roller door with an internally hinged, with through bolted locksa nd extendable rods would be a good deterant as well....how deep are your pockets?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
azaxr8

Sleep in your car. with a shotgun. anyone steps within 2 metres of it. loud sirens. make sure you dont miss the headshot. unstealable
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Put the car on a hoist and a gear driven one not hydraulic. with the power switch inside the house it would make it difficult to get down and with other alarms would leave no time to do it.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
FG8PSI

there are also Beams that can be put around the house and Garage to trigger the alarm,

And with the GPRS units i use, has the GPRS signal as the main communication and the phoneline as the back up.

Pressure Pads would be better than having cables run to your car.

And with the Alarm panel, Tecom or Bosch are the two i know that has supervised cables, so as soon as a cable get cut it will ring the monitoring station to advise them and same with the siren.

And also with the Siren Boxs they have a Tamper switch so as soon as the box get smashed or taking off the wall the alarm will go off.

Also can have different areas ie. Beams, Pressure Pads, Garage, House.

And don't forget Smoke detectors too

But like anything if you have the money it can be done.

Nick
Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

We just got our security system updated ... costed a bomb, Im affraid to sneeze at night in bed
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Deech
Making smalltorque

Have a chain embedded into the concrete in the garage floor and wrapped around the diff (as per a previous thread on bollards) Then unbolt the drive shaft and keep it in a gun safe on the other side of the house. Then all you have to worry about is someone trashing your car out of spite when they figure out they can't steal it.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simply remove the lead from the coil to the distributor. Wont start your car in a hurry.

If they manage to push it out and load it on a tilt tray without getting noticed they deserve a medal.

Depends on how sophisticated the thieves would be i guess, though saying that, A few valuable cars getting nicked now seem to be inside jobs or someone in the know has seen it and plotted it.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Mate threatend to fit a Halon/CO2 system in his double garage after his L34 disappeared one night, when i asked jokingly what he would do with the bodies, he answered very straight faced, "im a fisherman, no problem".

Back on topic their are a few web sites that deal in this stuff it just depends how deep your pockets are, but if your pride and joy is worth it then the question of cost should not even be an issue.

It still amazes me that when some (not all) of these megabuck collectables disappear they have no alarms or tracking systems on them, and all for the sake of originality. GPS/GPRS tracking has been around for some time now and is fairly small and easily hidden though not cheap.

Heres an interesting site..... http://hunterpro.com/

As far as protecting the car in the garage i think you are on the right track Paul, just make sure it triggers lots of large flashing strobe lights and ground shaking alarms that will make the neigborhood think WW3 has started......

Thats my 2 cents worth........
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

? You could make your garage like fort knox, but would not a thief steal it at it's weakest point ?, off to the shops, taxi home ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
XW_GS
Paulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
have u thought about building some sort of 2 car panel that lowers underground or something. that would be cool.
You mean something like this xr?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AdLbJMuKiY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ghia
there are also Beams that can be put around the house and Garage to trigger the alarm,
Yes...beams behind and in front of the car, garage area etc... hence the theory i have about triggering the alarm before they get to the car!!

Quote:
Tecom or Bosch are the two i know that has supervised cables, so as soon as a cable get cut it will ring the monitoring station to advise them and same with the siren.

And also with the Siren Boxs they have a Tamper switch so as soon as the box get smashed or taking off the wall the alarm will go off
Most systems now have supervised lines but i was thinking about putting in the Bosch anyway, even my old Sierra has supervised phone line but even though they still sell it its a bit old now, the newer CROWs look good too and quite cheap.!

Another thought Nick, rather than use a standard siren with its tamper, a satellite siren can be used, this is a sealed siren box with its own battery inbuilt so if a would be theif rips it off the wall it would still go off its head until they grab a sledgehammer and physically smash it to bits...

Quote:
But like anything if you have the money it can be done.

Nick
Nick, you sound like you know a bit about security systems, the cost of these units isn't all that much. Unless you go for Tecom or Concept 4000 or the higher end stuff which you really don't need.
The cost is in the labour if someone install it for you. Installing it yourself would be a cost effective exercise.

But for someone who doesn't know about alarms, but can run a cable from here to there can pre-wire for the installer and its a win win situation for the tech and the customer...but you have to talk to the installer to see if he will go this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
We just got our security system updated ... costed a bomb, Im affraid to sneeze at night in bed
LOL same with me with my house alarm...dont make the wrong move!!
and it dials everyones phones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
If they manage to push it out and load it on a tilt tray without getting noticed they deserve a medal.

Depends on how sophisticated the thieves would be i guess, though saying that, A few valuable cars getting nicked now seem to be inside jobs or someone in the know has seen it and plotted it.

scnoods, the coupe that got stolen recently was just up the road from me, was stolen from a house on a main road, and this car wasn't running this is why im getting a quite a bit worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
? You could make your garage like fort knox, but would not a thief steal it at it's weakest point ?, off to the shops, taxi home ?
Very True but i don't take this car to the shops

--------------------------------------

Some good Points here guys....

Pressure pads to carry that weight may be hard to find but i recon they do exist!

Chains or Shackles also good

Bolts thru the garage door also good, i used this method with my mums tilt-a-door when i had my XY there

Tracking Devices good but what's the cost and the ongoing fees!!

Keep them coming.....

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Ever had a hit from an electric fence? my old man had one on his place the stuff looks like packing crate tape put this around your car and see if anyone gets thru it it must be insulated from car & ground it will sit u on yr *** but it wont kill you bet you dont go back for seconds units are relatively cheap.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
XW_GS
Paulie

no reason why the roller door cant be active??

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That would make for a very good system IMO (been in security for 8 years), I'd stay away from the BOSCH though as I have always seen them as a very basic system.

If you have the $$$ it may be a good idea to get someone in to do a Security Audit, they'll know what is best and what to put in.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Exactly!!!!! take Wintersun 08, Perth GT at panelshop etc :

I think the point been made here, correct me if im wrong, is you can build your house like "Fort Knox" but what is the point if the car itself has little or no protection beyond "Fortress Home".....

I have a pretty good setup at home at the moment, reinforced entry/exit, electrical alarm systems with back up etc that i put together myself. But all of this is worthless if i cant take the car out, i may aswell sell it and let someone else worry about it, so some sort of Remote tracking/immobilizing system will be high on the priority list for the upcoming rebuild......
Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
As long as it is sign posted maybe??????
Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Aslong as the door is insulated from ground ei tracks or slides mounted on timber and the actual roller mtd. on timber you could put the positive on the door and neg. on the ground but it would throw you down the drive if you forgot to turn it off.

If the door shorts to ground the thing won't work when it's used as a fence say over 200m if the fence is grounded at 100m the first 100m works to the point that is grounded note it will move a bull and keep it in without a wire fence have personally been hit acouple of times well yeah your careful after.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
*rayman*
454 Power

Interesting concept having the roller door hooked up to the electric fence module? ...
Would there be any liabilty if you dont have the roller door signed as electrified?

Hook this bad boy up to the roller doors, i'm sure they wouldnt come back for more:
http://www.gallagher.com.au/permanen...mktprodid=1338

Would you be able to put a generic GSM dialler on the Sierra alarm?

In regards to securing a conventional garage, Whats the best way to secure roller doors?
- Reed switches hooked to an alarm?
- Padlocks or bolts through the rails on the sides?
What about a normal door to access the garage? One of those theft deterrent security mesh screen doors in front?

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro

Last edited by *rayman*; 04-11-2008 at 01:01 PM.
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Simply remove the lead from the coil to the distributor. Wont start your car in a hurry..
Just a twist on this one. Leave the lead on and pull the rotor buton out. not as easy to spot as a missing lead.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
Dezza
Parts bin special

Do a Mr Bean by removing the steering wheel and taking it with you!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was the one in the 80's flick Robocop, where it fried the guy stealing the car, then opened the door and ejected the remains.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #24
XW_GS
Paulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA351COUPE
some sort of Remote tracking/immobilizing system will be high on the priority list for the upcoming rebuild......
True, i must admit i didnt think about the car being away from the house but i do have an ultrasonic alarm in it where if anynone walks a meter away from the car it will give you a warning tone, i you dont move away the alarm will sound...

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
Just a twist on this one. Leave the lead on and pull the rotor buton out. not as easy to spot as a missing lead.
That trick is so old from the late 70,s / early 80's that the buggers used to carry spare rotor buttons for each car type , had a nice eh go missing in minutes.

gps is sounding good, beam me up scotty then a death of being run over slowly by 1000 tractors for any car theif.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #26
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

didn't BMW (or aftermaket bmw) release flame throwers that came from the sideskirts? i'm sure i read that somewhere... either way, sim cars gps is the way to go IMO. it doesn't alert the driver that you're onto them, and the cops can plan a raid. the only downside is u need to be in receptionm but these days it seems to be pretty good. If the ute was worth anything I might invest in such a system

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #27
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
didn't BMW (or aftermaket bmw) release flame throwers that came from the sideskirts? i'm sure i read that somewhere... either way, sim cars gps is the way to go IMO. it doesn't alert the driver that you're onto them, and the cops can plan a raid. the only downside is u need to be in receptionm but these days it seems to be pretty good. If the ute was worth anything I might invest in such a system
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ

Adam.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #28
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

yep!!!!! thats the one!!! lmao.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post