Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
gs42577
Starter Motor

Default HeLp

Sitting at the lights today and some nudged my car and swapped a bit of paint and proceeded to drive off. It’s not much but I don’t want it there. I got his/her number plate. Anyways I was wondering if I could find out where they live. Not to do anything stupid but to give a little piece of my mind and just get them to pay up. I have insurance but it’s a hassle to get it all done for something small.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 08-10-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Swear filter is there for a reason.
gs42577 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs42577
Sitting at the lights today and some f*@k nudged my car and swapped a bit of paint and proceeded to drive off. It’s not much but I don’t want it there. I got his/her number plate. Anyways I was wondering if I could find out where they live. Not to do anything stupid but to give a little piece of my mind and just get them to pay up. I have insurance but it’s a hassle to get it all done for something small.
Any ideas?
Go to the Police and make a report, it is a hit and run and morons like that need to be dealt with. Also it is the only way you are going to get out of this without having to pay up.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

go to the cops. You have a legitimate complaint and they have a duty to investigate it. They may even get done for leaving the scene of an accident with out exchanging details.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
gs42577
Starter Motor

yeah that what i was gonna do but i dont really think they ment to do it. like i was waiting for the light to turn so i could go right and the pulled out from behind me and exchanged paint, they didnt really speed off or anything i just couldnt manage to pull out and chase them.
and although im ****ed off, if i could find out where they live from plates and confront them would save them the trouble of having to deal with cops and get booked for something that may not have been a hit and run.

Vic roads must be able to relese personal information?
gs42577 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
azaxr8

gs42577, it's not hard to realise u hit someone elses car and they failed to pull over. go to the cops you don't know how they could react if u confront them in todays world.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Neither Vicroads or the Police will release personal information, you have to report the incident and the Police will take it from there.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt the other person didn't realise they hit you - they're just playing dumb to get out of a repair bill. The paint swap wouldn't have been deliberate, but buggering off was. You won't get the info of the other driver from the police or Vicroads, but the police should deal with it if you give them the rego.

You might think it is small, but think about it - someone buys your car later on and sees the mark and knocks some money off their offer. You've done nothing wrong yet you cop the loss.

If you see it through and get the police to follow up, it will make the other person think twice next time.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
zak88
FG GT

go to the police and then contact your insurance.
zak88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

I agree with all above, go to the police and make a report, this way you won't have to pay insurance excess.

If you somehow got their address and visited them, they may not be friendly, they wouldn't appreciate your attempt to not involve the police.
They actually could have you for harassment or some privacy violation (... I reckon)

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

think about it, if you can get their address from their rego, when you show up at their home, then they have your rego, and I doubt you'd want to be getting a return visit. Also, I doubt the police will bother to take it far as its a 'your word against theirs' thing. But contact both the police AND your insurance company and I highly doubt you'll be anything out of pocket.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a similar thing about 2 yrs back. Some sheet metal and a pallet size oiece of cardboard blew off a ute coming the other way and put some dents/scratches on our car. Chased after it and got the rego details. Rang insurance who said to call Police as they cant access that sort of info( which the Police told me was bs). police took the info and chased it up, rang me back and asked is it ok if I give the other party your details. Other party called me apologised as it was a company ute and they hadnt chased up who was driving it at the time but would do so. They sent me a cheque and the car got fixed, all happy.