Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Angry 7 News report on Vicorian Gov. Petrol Guzzlers

: Another TV station attacks aussie V8 cars.

This time they're bitching about how much petrol Victorian premier uses.
He's got 2 V8 Caprices available to him (one for his wife) and they're attacking him for not driving a pirus :ticking:

What a bunch of bull scat :thebirds:

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Never mind, he may commandere one of the Police Hummers to do it properly.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Bobman
Regulator

I don't see anything Aussie about the V8 engines in Falcodorres.

So they should set an example. Rather than do as they please with tax payers money.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i dont blame him there is no way will i ever buy a prius, those puntsy little thing i would even be able to fit in that thing, but at tax payers expense i think is a bit wrong but would his wifes stateman one be tax funded as well ? some times if you drive them carfull they can be quite fuel efficiant on highways the media always thinks of the worse of eveyone

MEDIA GIVE THOSE PEOPLE WHO DRIVES V8's A BREAK IT IS THEIR CHOICE NOT YOURS

Last edited by ieatsports_cars; 07-10-2008 at 08:17 PM.
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I wonder if he pays FBT on the use of the cars.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Loves my V8, good on him
Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if I'm not mistaken didn't topgear UK do all the sums and figured out that the prius is worse for the environment and cost more than a BMW v8 (not sure what model) in the long run.
now look at the price of a second hand Holden v8 and running cost and disposal cost shiping cost and do the same for the prius probably cheaper to run with the big car
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain

He's got 2 V8 Caprices available to him (one for his wife) and they're attacking him for not driving a pirus :ticking:

And the entire government V8 fleet costs less to run than one of their news helicopters.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

And they proberly record the story with a car for the reporter and camera man then the relay vechile which ive never seen anything smaller than a landcruiser and they have the big american vans and the chevy suburbans but thats different right............
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Why the big deal channel 7?

Come on, do they real want the Premier to drive a Japanese Prius. He is the most powerful man in the state, an Australian Caprice is fitting, the media is becoming beyond a joke. Lets give the Police Elantras, making Ambos use Renault Kangoo's, and make the Roads department and Railways drive Proton Jumbucks and close down the Australian car factories while where at it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

Make him use public transport. :
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Crazed

I know the one and only reason that the SA government choose the V8 in the Statesman is because of the better resale value than the 6. So if anything they are helping the taxpayer by getting the V8 option.

But give me a break, i doubt a V8 Statesman would use any more petrol around town than a 6 cylinder 4wd. Heck even my sister-in-laws Mazda CX7 averages 17l around town and that is a 4!

With media criticising governments for buying an Australian made car, with having to drive constantly looking at the speedo instead of the road in case you go 3km/h over. Speed limits constantly being reduced. Speed cameras increasing.
I dont know, the way the country has been heading the last 10 years at state level, it has just has sucked the absolute joy out of driving. And with the amount of long distance driving i do, its just becoming harder for me to enjoy my work. Sorry for off-topic ramble, im just tired of all the negativeness around what used to be one of my most favourite past-times.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God forbid the Victorian Government supporting locally made products, therefore employing local Australians. How many Australians were employed as a direct result of Toyota manufacturing the Prius? My guess is somewhere between zero and none.

There should be a mandate within Federal, State and Local governments whereby at all times within reason, our tax money should be spent on Australian-built cars, supporting the local industry, keeping jobs in Australia and manufacturing in Australia.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about converting them to LPG. Or better still order them as dedicated LPG cars. No reason why the car companies wouldnt do special orders for them.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
But give me a break, i doubt a V8 Statesman would use any more petrol around town than a 6 cylinder 4wd. Heck even my sister-in-laws Mazda CX7 averages 17l around town and that is a 4!
I am driving a V8 Chevy Silverado 4x4 extended cab, I average 14.2L per 100km (16.7mpg) a new model gets closer to 20mpg (12L/100). So I hear you on the CX7 crap. The proof is in the pudding (not engine displacement).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #16
winovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I don't see anything Aussie about the V8 engines in Falcodorres.
The Ford Falcon V8 has a lot of engineering work done locally, and is assembled in Australia.

Here is some info on the engineering work (mid-way down the page):

http://www.autocult.com.au/NewsDetail.aspx?id=1222

Boss 315
The Boss 315 engine features a number of unique FPV engine upgrades and components:

* New camshaft timing and a new camshaft profile that gives higher lift and extended duration.
* The compression ratio has been increased from 10.5:1 to 11:1 for a major improvement in engine response and overall engine efficiency.
* Twin Plate Throttle Body improves volumetric efficiency and reduces pressure loss through the induction system.
* New upper intake manifold plenum chamber for optimised air flow.
* A new high flow straight-through twin exhaust system and new stainless steel exhaust manifolds which maximise powertrain sound quality and minimise back pressure.
* An increase in engine speed range, from 6000 rpm to 6500 rpm.
* New windage tray which reduces crankshaft windage engine parasitic losses.

The Boss 315 engine has also been equipped with a new oil pan, which has been designed to suit the new front structure design in the FG Falcon, along with new exhaust manifolds to suit the new body structure.

It also employs cylinder cut on gearshifts in automatic transmission vehicles, for improved shift timing and overall shift refinement.

Significant work was conducted to control and eliminate torsional vibration of the crankshaft, in order to achieve a higher rev range. This, combined with improvements to piston assembly strength and increases in engine volumetric efficiency, has allowed an increase of maximum revs from 6000 rpm to 6500 rpm.
FPV invested heavily in improving fuel efficiency and the Boss 315 provides a 4.8 percent improvement in fuel consumption with 14L/100km for the automatic transmission, down from 14.7L/100km in the BF MkII.

It was always part of our brief to increase power and improve fuel efficiency, and by reducing losses and freeing the engine up we have increased the engine speed range. This means we�re able to get more air into the engine and that�s where we gain the extra power,� Quinn said.

FPV engineers conducted a substantial amount of durability testing, with a total of over 1800 hours of high speed load engine durability on the dyno, followed by thousands of kilometres of powertrain durability tests and a series of manifold shock testing.

FPV also conducted 18 months of solid calibration testing, particularly in the areas of knock control, base engine emissions and fuel economy.

During our mechanical development, we created our designs then went chasing those designs and ideas with specific testing. We did a significant amount of development to optimise cam timing and valve lift, throttle body design and air cleaner filter selection,� Quinn said.

We've broadened the torque curve so that it picks up better at a lower rev range and gives the driver easier access to torque, so you get that drive all across the rev range. By increasing the torque in the useable, mid-speed engine range we�ve also given the driver more flexibility in overtaking manoeuvres.�

"As a result, the car accelerates faster, while also feeling lighter and more powerful."
winovin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes
if I'm not mistaken didn't topgear UK do all the sums and figured out that the prius is worse for the environment and cost more than a BMW v8 (not sure what model) in the long run.
Not quite. They had a Prius do a lap of a track flat out and had an M3 follow it. They compared fuel consumption and the M3 used less fuel. Not particularly scientific but did go to show that efficiency isn't just about the car but the driver as well.

However, there are plenty of reports of the materials, method and disposal of the batteries they stick in the Prius being more detrimental to the environment than an equivalent sized Diesel vehicle over its lifetime.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Captain Bligh here Qld traded her V8 in on a Chrysler 300 diesel V6. At least it's got credability compared to a Pree-us.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

read the editorial in australian muscle car, its a bloody good read on thirsty v8 vs prius in the money and fuel saving race.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #20
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain

What a bunch of poorly researched rubbish. As usual. Did they mention that;

1. It's Australian made and any politician that buys and import no matter how good should be thrown out of office.

2. It's been modded and is the 'security' model. Not regularly available. I'm not so sure how well a Prius would cope with 500kg of amour plating. PM (amongst others) has one too. Look at the glass next time they are on telly. easy to spot when you look.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
IDT
Marko

I agree, get the Premiers and the Prime Minister into Prius. Could you just imagine what people would think when we have a heads of state visit and we see the President or the Queen loaded into a Prius.

Come on that would be funny!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
HSVsFORD
Banned

I think its just a question of how YOUR tax dollars are being spent. Considering the amount of travel politicians do, it may seem that a smaller vehicle may be more appropriate than a big ate. After ALL we are paying for it! Its not about the car but common sence I guess. If Im wrong in saying this then sorry!
HSVsFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post