Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Rear noise

Hey guys, hope you can help. I've got an odd noise coming from the rear of the XR. It sounds like a buckled rim but I know it isn't, I've had the noise with the old BA rims and the 19's and both have been balanced perfectly. It is a repetitive knock/clunk/thump that doesn't really change too much with road speed, although it does a little. It also sounds as if it is coming from a side, not the centre, rear passenger to be exact.

I've been thinking wheel bearing but what else could it be and how do I check?

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you using the same tyres as you had on the ba rims or are they different? the only reason i ask is, i know my front left tyre has a flat spot on it which is very annoying at low speed as the whole car bounces up and down on that side, it also shakes a bit on the freeway. may be something worth looking at...also, on that note, can you switch the tyres side to side or front to rear and see if the noise moves? if so, then the tyre would be first to look at
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Different tyres.
Old 28-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
fordAU

Mine was doing a similar thing to yours Russell about 6 months ago.

At the time I suspected that the rear shock mounts were kaput, they turned out to be ok and the culprit ended up being the rear nearside wheel bearing. Had both rears replaced, nil problems since.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Mine was doing a similar thing to yours Russell about 6 months ago.

At the time I suspected that the rear shock mounts were kaput, they turned out to be ok and the culprit ended up being the rear nearside wheel bearing. Had both rears replaced, nil problems since.
Well that helps, I've never touched the bearings so I think I might give them a go and hope that that solves it. Cheers.
Old 28-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Does sound suspiciously like a wheel bearing. Good luck! Random noises are so annoying.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Serves you right for always carrying on about that IRS crap
Old 28-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
speedzter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
It is a repetitive knock/clunk/thump that doesn't really change too much with road speed
So it's no worse at say 60k's than 100k's ?
Not being familair with IRS, but it doesn't "sound" like bearing noise that I've come accross. Normally more of a rumble/whine that will start to appear at a certain speed, and change in pitch when speed increases ?
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

You also need to watch the nut that holds the hub in comes loose on some and gives a lot of wheel movement and noisey's.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'm finally under there (in between the race) and there is no play in either rear wheel - and I mean NONE - and there also is no noise from the diff that I can hear with my ear up to the housing rotating the rear wheels. The only time I can get it to thump is wiggling the rear wheels clockwise - anticlockwise quickly, like 1/16th of a rotation either way if that.

This has me stuffed as if it were bearings I would expect a little free play or at least a thump. I'm going to swap the rims around and see if that does anything.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

FOUND IT!!!!

And it's not good lol. I fired it up while up on ramps and threw it in D. Lo and behold the passenger side CV shaft has a fair old bend in it, bad enough for it to be easily visible, one glance and I could see it.

Anyone know a rough price on how much they are to replace?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

lol you know under normal driving conditions those don't normally bend, although i have one bent one myself (drivers side), but mines not noisy at all, a mate noticed mine one day when on the hoist when he decided to spin my wheel.
Old 13-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its a fair few hundred matey
Old 13-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Found the ones on eBay, $165 so that isn't too bad.

Now I just need to consult my repair manual to see whether it is a job I can be stuffed doing myself or if I just get it done somewhere.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA : :ticking:

I just called Ford for a price, $1120 just for the part. Got to love that considering I can get one supplied and fitted for $600 odd elsewhere.

Go Ford, nice to see you have still got it when it comes to screwing your customers on parts.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Much better now, $165 + postage for the eBay shaft (or I could be tight and go to a wrecker lol) and $120 - $165 for fitting. Not too bad and for that money to fit I really don't think I can be stuffed doing it myself.

For now it can wait though, it isn't going to do anything stupid (hopefully) and it only annoys me slightly when I'm driving.