Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Most hoons are Holden drivers

ALMOST half of Tasmania's hoons are driving Holdens.

More than 900 vehicles, or about 20 a month, have been confiscated by police since anti-hooning legislation came into force in Tasmania in September 2004.

Of these, 409 - a whopping 45 per cent of the confiscated cars - were Holden Commodores.

Nissans were the next most common with 115 of them making up almost 13 per cent of impounded cars, followed by 90 Fords (10 per cent) and 89 Toyotas (9 per cent).

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Brisbane, most hoons are ricey, usually R33 Skyline's, you see them everywhere. A very little of them are Ford or Holden drivers.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
SeXC
Pushrodosaurus Rex

I prefer to think of it as ford drivers are smarter about hooning.....
SeXC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

100% of hoons are idiots, much like those who seem to post dumb stats are post whores !
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its because most Holden drivers have an IQ of about 10, and doing burnouts and driving fast makes you fully sick and gets you laid. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
68XTFairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its because most Holden drivers have an IQ of about 10, and doing burnouts and driving fast makes you fully sick and gets you laid. :
So is that why these threads get started, Because Ford drivers aren't getting laid enough ?????

All this is doing is asking for arguments and wasting space
68XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hoons are 100% dropkick regardless of which car they car they drive :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think we've known for a few years that Commodore dominates the hoon/crash/theft statistics.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
ohzone
Dent Removal

Are we not deluding ourselves just a bit?,

could it be that there is no mythical "race" called the Hoons?.
Maybe Hoons is a term coined by Government and Media so that new legislation can be implemented and accepted by the the general population?, a type of "feel good word", I mean why not accept these new laws?, it's not any of us driving in an unlawful or dangerous (Hoon) manner, I or we are not a member of the Hoon race, it's those other people and they deserve all that is done to them.

Here we say it's Holden drivers or Ricers that are Hoons, the Holden Drivers probably say oh it's those Bloody Ford or Ricer Hoons racing around causing all the problems, Mothers delivering their kids to school in their 4 wheeldrive's probably say it's anybody driving a sedan speeding through school zones or maybe it's the cyclist and motorcyclists zig zagging thru traffic or truck drivers driving up people ***** at traffic lights, the list goes on and on.

Are the Hoon laws targeting the area where the most lives can be saved for effort and dollars put in? are they a ruse and a deflection to hide the fact that Government does not want to and is not spending your hard earned tax dollars on Better built roads or proper driver training, better street lighting, safety barriers, etc.

Maybe Government needs to spend the money on roads (definitely), maybe every driver needs do add a bit of professionalism to their driving (including professional drivers), maybe we all have to realise we are all human and from time to time will transgress speed limits or keep left rules or tailgate distances, etc and admit to it and not fall for the old trap and just say nah it's those Bloody Hoons!!.

Na !! it's definitely those HOON AU Falcon drivers, Bloody trouble makers, should ban em all!
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's funny how a person can have their car impounded and lose their licence for dropping a burnout yet drink drivers just lose their licence. It's all about the hard hitting issues with the government.

No they're not a bunch of dropkicks, they are smart, like for real I'm being serious :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Going back 30-40 years hooning was just harmless fun, mostly just making a bit of noise. Most cars back then could hardly pull the skin of a rice pudding, hardly being able to spin their wheels let alone do big donuts. These days the hoon word is also used to describe absolute idiots driving extremely dangerous, including going over 100kph in 60 zones etc.

There is confusion now when using the word 'hoon', just letting your tyres slide a little effectively classes you as an idiot as bad as those dangerous drivers. Unfortunately the power of the cars these days makes it more difficult to categorise the safe hooning from dangerous driving. The nuisance factor with residents fed up with cars doing burnouts, also confuses things.

The word 'hoon' has become misused by the media and authorities, there needs to be two categories, with the harmless hoons having less harsh penalties.

Agreed also, the drunk drivers should have their cars impounded.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 07-09-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
There is confusion now when using the word 'hoon', just letting your tyres slide a little effectively classes you as an idiot as bad as those dangerous drivers. Unfortunately the power of the cars these days makes it more difficult to categorise the safe hooning from dangerous driving. The nuisance factor with residents fed up with cars doing burnouts, also confuses things.

The word 'hoon' has become misused by the media and authorities, there needs to be two categories, with the harmless hoons having less harsh penalties.

Agreed also, the drunk drivers should have their cars impounded.
I agree 100%

The hoon word is overused and misused.

You can get done for 'hoon' laws doing almost anything now anyway.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is historically proven that the most effective method to destroy a group is to divide them and make them turn on each other. It is very effective as the average human is quite stupid and easily led. The younger and more inexperienced the person the easier it is to convince them that they are doing the right thing and saving us all from ourselves while playing into the hands of the enemy.
Hitler, Pol Pot, Osama bin Laden et al have convinced the populace that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Just reading through the last few days we have the 300km/h Porsche beat up where a number of STUPID people were ready to burn the driver at the stake because of that terrible crime.
Now it is all HOONS should be shot although the definition of a HOON is whatever the anti car groups what it to be at the time but within the motor enthusiest community there are many STUPID people who will stand behind scruby chanting "burn the witch".
Of course the STUPID "all drink drivers must hang" group rush to their high ground because driving with BAC of over 0.05 always causes death and destruction. Of course when the limit was 0.08, 0.05 was ok and when the limit was 0.15 then 0.08 was ok and when there was no limit each conviction was based on the drivers actions 0.15 was ok. And the STUPID people just accept what is told to them on TV because it is on TV it must be true.
Just like Y2K and the weapons of mass destruction and the communist red peril etc etc.

Right at the moment we are in a situation where the most powerful motor vehicles in history are available to the average person. You and me.

There are many many "scrubys" who hate us, hate our vehicles and everything we and they stand for and they know that all they have to do is truck the STUPID people into sacrificing a small group here and small restriction there, just so it does not effect them until eventually, we, the motoring enthusiests are held in the same regard as gun owners or jet ski riders or whomever.

Once the term HOON becomes so common and vilified the next step is to remove HOON cars. There in NO REASON why anyone needs a V8 or T6 other than to be a HOON therefore they should be banned outright.
There is NO REASON why anyone needs to modifiy a car so these should be confiscated and the drivers sent to "re education camps" to learn how to fit in with society.
There is NO REASON why any car should be capable of exceeding 130km/k or doing a quarter mile in under 20 seconds.

All of the above are things HOONS do and you are not HOONS so you don't need any of it do you?

There are many budding "leaders" who are just itching for a cause to help them become famous and powerful at the expense of all others.
Al Gore, Eugene McCarthy, Harold Scruby, Rebecka Peters, Pauline Hanson, Bob Brown, Fred Nile, Laurie Levy, EVAN GREENE..... Do any of these names ring a bell? They all caused huge amounts of grief just to get their own way and how did they do it? Convince lots of STUPID people that they are the messiah.

So If you people do not want to be discussing the "good old days of driving" in a few years like I discuss "the good old days of shooting" then DO NOT BE STUPID.

Look at any situation for what it is, not what you are told. Make a considered decision don't just jump on the band wagon and fight for your right to enjoy driving because if you don't then you will be to blame.

This will not really affect me as I am 49 and probably only have 10 or 15 years left before I will move into the "luxobarge" group and wander around in a Merc, BMW or Audi.

Many who are reading this are in their 20s or 30s and I am sure some will say this cannot happen the people of Australia will not support it.

When I was in my 20s I used to ride my motorcycle across town with a SLR (automatic military rifle) slung over my shoulder to go shooting and nobody including the police cared in the slightest. I didn't even have a gun license as there was no such thing. Now such acts are worse than murder. If you had asked me or anyone I knew whether automatic weapons would be banned in 20 years we would have laughed at you because it just couldn't happen..........

Last edited by flappist; 07-09-2008 at 08:32 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What he said^^^ lol

It doesn't matter what car you drive, its about the attitude you have when you are behind the wheel...
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

^^^^^^^^^^ Damn good post flappist, one of the best reads on the forums^^^^^

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
xygthop3
SIR DOOF DOOF =D

if u hoon who cares..
everyone has hooned at one stage..

its just if u get caught ur an unlucky bastard..
just dont do stuff in stupid places and watch yourself..

lifes a risk so who cares

my 2c
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Yeah good post Flappist. I used to complain bitterly to my wife that my kids were getting a female dominated primary schooling followed by a dumbed down tree hugging secondary schooling. I could see what was coming and I countered by bringing my daughter and son up with old style knockabout values. Sadly for me, my son has done everything our generation did with impunity, only to get himself a healthy police sheet. Too many rules at odds with masculine behaviour IMO.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #18
68XTFairmont

Well said Flappist, Here in South Aus we have Mike Rann convincing those that are easily led that all Bikies are scum and that every bit of Violence in this state is Bikie related.

I am over sized, I have Tattoos, I have a Goatee and I own a Harley(among a collection of 9 other Jap bikes). I find myself being constantly observed by all and sundry whenever I take the Harley out and cruise along with the open faced Helmet just enjoying a beautiful day. I don't need to break any laws, I am too damn scared to do anything illegal on the Harley as I am being watched wherever I go. I pull out the old Yamaha Sports Tourer and put on a full faced Helmet and I can go anywhere I like and do whatever I like and don't get looked at twice.

I know this has nothing to do with Cars or "Hoons" but it is just another sign of the Sheep mentality that people have.

If the Government spent enough money campaigning against Yellow Volkswagons before you know it just about every person on the road would watch carefully anything that a person driving a yellow Volkswagon did and outcast them.

My rant is done

Last edited by 68XTFairmont; 08-09-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: bad gramar
68XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is historically proven that the most effective method to destroy a group is to divide them and make them turn on each other. It is very effective as the average human is quite stupid and easily led. The younger and more inexperienced the person the easier it is to convince them that they are doing the right thing and saving us all from ourselves while playing into the hands of the enemy.
Hitler, Pol Pot, Osama bin Laden et al have convinced the populace that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Just reading through the last few days we have the 300km/h Porsche beat up where a number of STUPID people were ready to burn the driver at the stake because of that terrible crime.
Now it is all HOONS should be shot although the definition of a HOON is whatever the anti car groups what it to be at the time but within the motor enthusiest community there are many STUPID people who will stand behind scruby chanting "burn the witch".
Of course the STUPID "all drink drivers must hang" group rush to their high ground because driving with BAC of over 0.05 always causes death and destruction. Of course when the limit was 0.08, 0.05 was ok and when the limit was 0.15 then 0.08 was ok and when there was no limit each conviction was based on the drivers actions 0.15 was ok. And the STUPID people just accept what is told to them on TV because it is on TV it must be true.
Just like Y2K and the weapons of mass destruction and the communist red peril etc etc.

Right at the moment we are in a situation where the most powerful motor vehicles in history are available to the average person. You and me.

There are many many "scrubys" who hate us, hate our vehicles and everything we and they stand for and they know that all they have to do is truck the STUPID people into sacrificing a small group here and small restriction there, just so it does not effect them until eventually, we, the motoring enthusiests are held in the same regard as gun owners or jet ski riders or whomever.

Once the term HOON becomes so common and vilified the next step is to remove HOON cars. There in NO REASON why anyone needs a V8 or T6 other than to be a HOON therefore they should be banned outright.
There is NO REASON why anyone needs to modifiy a car so these should be confiscated and the drivers sent to "re education camps" to learn how to fit in with society.
There is NO REASON why any car should be capable of exceeding 130km/k or doing a quarter mile in under 20 seconds.

All of the above are things HOONS do and you are not HOONS so you don't need any of it do you?

There are many budding "leaders" who are just itching for a cause to help them become famous and powerful at the expense of all others.
Al Gore, Eugene McCarthy, Harold Scruby, Rebecka Peters, Pauline Hanson, Bob Brown, Fred Nile, Laurie Levy, EVAN GREENE..... Do any of these names ring a bell? They all caused huge amounts of grief just to get their own way and how did they do it? Convince lots of STUPID people that they are the messiah.

So If you people do not want to be discussing the "good old days of driving" in a few years like I discuss "the good old days of shooting" then DO NOT BE STUPID.

Look at any situation for what it is, not what you are told. Make a considered decision don't just jump on the band wagon and fight for your right to enjoy driving because if you don't then you will be to blame.

This will not really affect me as I am 49 and probably only have 10 or 15 years left before I will move into the "luxobarge" group and wander around in a Merc, BMW or Audi.

Many who are reading this are in their 20s or 30s and I am sure some will say this cannot happen the people of Australia will not support it.

When I was in my 20s I used to ride my motorcycle across town with a SLR (automatic military rifle) slung over my shoulder to go shooting and nobody including the police cared in the slightest. I didn't even have a gun license as there was no such thing. Now such acts are worse than murder. If you had asked me or anyone I knew whether automatic weapons would be banned in 20 years we would have laughed at you because it just couldn't happen..........
You're a hoon.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 AM   #20
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow flappist, awesome post!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
.........This will not really affect me as I am 49 and probably only have 10 or 15 years left before I will move into the "luxobarge" group and wander around in a Merc, BMW or Audi..........

Hang on flappist, that's a barb sharp ... you're referring to old guys like me who punts his modified F6 (277RWKW) around QR and Lakeside at competiive times. But I might concede you on the Audi as I find the RS blitzkriegers quite appealing.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #22
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drivers in Holdens only appear to be hoons because they have so much POWAH! So much that they can't help but spin the wheels.

Seriously, the report indicated most were old V series dunnydores. The police said it was because these "older commodores had a lot of power from the large six cylinder motors"!!!! Kid you not.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

OK, so i have finally read this monster post. Very true, but the one thing that you missed is that by creating a "hate group" is an easy way to create laws that can then be wedged further to control the populace. Think speeding laws. It started with the very high end speedsters getting fined. Now it is 2km over the limit. To control the people, start with a small group, introduce laws, then expand them for everyone. Voila, a controlled mass. Human nature is no different now than before ww2. The germans did it. All governments do it. Control is what it is all about.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Hang on flappist, that's a barb sharp ... you're referring to old guys like me who punts his modified F6 (277RWKW) around QR and Lakeside at competiive times. But I might concede you on the Audi as I find the RS blitzkriegers quite appealing.
So you are 64 Pedro and still hooning?...... that is Very GC
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #25
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

People who use the word "Hoon" (seriously) are idiots.

That is all.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #26
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you are 64 Pedro and still hooning?...... that is Very GC

LOL
Somehow, my post omitted a quote from yours .. namely ...

"This will not really affect me as I am 49 and probably only have 10 or 15 years left before I will move into the "luxobarge" group and wander around in a Merc, BMW or Audi."

It was this part of your post to which I was replying.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68XTFairmont
So is that why these threads get started, Because Ford drivers aren't getting laid enough ?????

All this is doing is asking for arguments and wasting space
Never heard of sarcasm?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #28
mmhmm

since im so bored at lunch , i mite as well say something to kill time.
The biggest hoon gang , is the ( drum roll ) police force yay..!!! end of month whooooos pulling you over.. ITS THE HOON SQUADDDD.... so i dont realli mind the burnouts, racing, crash and die cause it may irritate me but hey, there not making a dent in my pocket like our boys in blue.
Yes i am bored here
mmhmm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #29
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

I believe the term HOON has now lost its meaning. It's a bit like like calling our olympic medal winners heros but I won't go there. To me a hoon is someone who drives 20klms over the limit, does donuts at intersections, street races, burnouts in the street and other anti-social behaviour which endangers lives. Hoons are not people who screach the tyres when they take off, get caught a few k's over the limit, take off quickly from the lights or have a modified car of which they are justifyably proud but they are all lumped into the HOON category. The media is to blame for this. They set the standards with their headlines and once a phrase or word is used they flog it to death and dilute the word until it is meaningless to all except the do-gooders who persue these things. I think we all know what a HOON is. Its someone who shouldn't be on the road because they don't care about any other roadusers safety or their own. It's a shame the media and the police don't have the same understanding and leave the rest of us alone.
Cheers
Keith
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XABEBAGT
I believe the term HOON has now lost its meaning. It's a bit like like calling our olympic medal winners heros but I won't go there. To me a hoon is someone who drives 20klms over the limit, does donuts at intersections, street races, burnouts in the street and other anti-social behaviour which endangers lives. Hoons are not people who screach the tyres when they take off, get caught a few k's over the limit, take off quickly from the lights or have a modified car of which they are justifyably proud but they are all lumped into the HOON category. The media is to blame for this. They set the standards with their headlines and once a phrase or word is used they flog it to death and dilute the word until it is meaningless to all except the do-gooders who persue these things. I think we all know what a HOON is. Its someone who shouldn't be on the road because they don't care about any other roadusers safety or their own. It's a shame the media and the police don't have the same understanding and leave the rest of us alone.
Cheers
Keith
But then to someone else a HOON is someone who owns, say half a dozen, environmentally unfriendly loud shiny petrol eating greenhouse gas making climate ruining metal monsters.

After all if you run into a pedestrian at 30km/h in a plastic crumple zone infested prius you will do a lot less damage to them than in a 70's steel tank.
So therefore those cars endanger lives just by being driven normally on the road.

The point I am trying to make here is YOUR definition of a HOON is not always everyone elses definition and using the word to vilify anyone who does something you don't agree with is very dangerous.

Actually I wonder if there is a case that the term HOON is derogatory and in this politically correct age should not be used.

Maybe the term could be "Tractionally challenged" or "Velocitarily gifited"