Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Hally

Default Experiences with Mitsibishi 380's

All,

Would like some feedback from forum members who have had experience with these cars. Don't want to here about them being ugly, front wheel drive etc.

Just want real world feedback (have driven a few and could live with the style of car day to day). reason? I have lost my daily driver in a marriage split and it seems the 380 has less resale than Falcons. Seem to be some sensational prices on 2 year old examples.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Seem to be some sensational prices on 2 year old examples.there is your answer
Old 13-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The later magna's/380's were meant to be reliable and should be good for a daily. The 380 had a few early niggles and recalls but nothing as bad at the VE reliease. Take one for a drive and if you happy then I don't see why you wouldn't buy one if it's in your price range.
Old 13-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Horrible car if you ask me. I drive one at work sometimes if I have no other option.

Feels like a boat to drive. Interior is full of blind spots. Don't even think about putting your foot down cause it will torque steer you straight off the road.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look on Aussie Magna

www.aussiemagna.com/forums

I think most owners have been quite happy, the only two negatives that I've heard about are:

1) Resale prices have fallen (which is quite good for second hand car purchases)
2) The storm paint colour (gunship grey pearl) did have some swirls in some instances.

For the record I've ended up with a TJ2 2003 Magna Sports, it's been the most reliable car I've owned, no leaks, no cv joints, no gearbox issues.

Most Magnas from 2000 onwards (the TJs) represent fairly reliable buys, the only real danger is the tempermental gearbox, which seemed to suffer a few problems in the four speed versions. These problems though do not appear common to the five speed version which was fitted to the Sports/VRX/AWDs/Veradas/380s.

Further in relation to the transmissions, make sure the box has been serviced during the major services only with Mitsubishi Brand Auto Trans fluid.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Hally

xr6_661,

Had a rental for the last couple of days, had 29,000kms onit. Didn't have any rattles, did torque steer a lot and wasn't as sharp in the handling as some of the VE's and falcon's I drive at work, but, it craps over to EF (with 240,00kms) that I now have to drive every day. Not looking to get anything straight away, but when you can buy a 2007 380GT with low k's on it for about 22 grand it is tempting. Just looking at options at the moment.
Old 13-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone did a test drive in one of these and did a fantasic job at writing it up. It was on this forum but i can't find it in the search . I think it may have been scud who posted it up but as i said i can't locate it .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
xr6_661,

Had a rental for the last couple of days, had 29,000kms onit. Didn't have any rattles, did torque steer a lot and wasn't as sharp in the handling as some of the VE's and falcon's I drive at work, but, it craps over to EF (with 240,00kms) that I now have to drive every day. Not looking to get anything straight away, but when you can buy a 2007 380GT with low k's on it for about 22 grand it is tempting. Just looking at options at the moment.
No worries mate. The 380 I drove was a base model also, not a GT. So I can't say wether or not the GT is better or worse. But I'm assuming the GT would be better than the base model. And I'd agree with you, the 380s are better then say an EF or EL Falcon...(I'ved owned an EL).

Put it this way, I'm sure if you got a 380GT, you would be happy with it. And after all, that's what counts.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're not for a performance car, just something cheap to get from A to B then torque steer wouldn't worry you. If you could get a 380 at a good price, take it. However if you want a flash looking car with luxury interior to excite you, don't get one. Simple as that.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

THe 380's aint a bad car, they are well built and don't look too bad, they looked more balanced and less bland then a few of the other midsizes.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
cowboy
Cowboy

I've spent some time in several of them including a VRX. Not too bad, reasonably economical when driven sensibly. Put the foot down though and they drank more than my F6. Torque steer was an issue but only with the foot to the floor. As an everyday commuter not a bad car. As a machine to stir your passion, keep looking.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I bought a magna last year for the girl friend,the model before the 380 I think it is (dont pay much attention to these things) and your right about the resale,I picked it up with a years rego and 110k on the clock for 3 grand at auction,bloody good car for the price,I think it drives very well for a day to day car and havent had a single problem with it..

For the prices Ive seen them go for at auction,there isnt much out there thats as good a bargain for a get around..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience is that the "sports " model we drove for a couple of days was not that sporty. The rims looked nice, the economy was good (9l/100km), but i could have equaled it with a ba 6 cyl given the way i mostly drove it. It wandered on the road - maybe an alignment problem, but i did not like that on the freeway. It had huge blind spots. The window height was too high to rest your arm on (on the door) for long trips. The centre console was too low to rest the other arm on when you wanted to rest the other way on long trips.
My conclusion was that it was a very unoffensive car, with some minor irks for me, but it was as boring as hell. It had zero character, so i would never ever consider one. I would chose a second hand xr6, say el instead.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
eternity
Starter Motor

When shopping for a car I was contemplating between falcon BA and 380 (and Maxima too). Test drove all of them multiple times over the course of several days. I think there is nothing wrong with 380 from the practical point of view, well priced and equipped, comfy and the engine can deliver the punch. Not sure what it was but it didn't quite turn me on so in the end I went for a higher mileage Falcon instead. Unless you plan to resale 380's a very good value for money. One thing I didn't like though was quite hard to park because of rear visibility but I guess it's a matter of getting used to.
eternity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have one at work.
am thinkin of hittin em up for it as a drivecar when the Falcon ute sells.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Have driven heaps of these. Work on them too. They drive and go quite well. A lot of people say they are junk purely because of bias against Mitsubishi. The engine and gearbox will have less problems than any Falcon or Commo. Interior is a bit cheap but they are a decent buy.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
No worries mate. The 380 I drove was a base model also, not a GT. So I can't say wether or not the GT is better or worse. But I'm assuming the GT would be better than the base model. And I'd agree with you, the 380s are better then say an EF or EL Falcon...(I'ved owned an EL).

Put it this way, I'm sure if you got a 380GT, you would be happy with it. And after all, that's what counts.
of course the 380 would be better than the el HELLO 14- 9 years difference technology is better :

and i have my el and iam still loving it
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Have driven heaps of these. Work on them too. They drive and go quite well. A lot of people say they are junk purely because of bias against Mitsubishi. The engine and gearbox will have less problems than any Falcon or Commo. Interior is a bit cheap but they are a decent buy.
well said, its a shame they didn't do real well.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Someone did a test drive in one of these and did a fantasic job at writing it up. It was on this forum but i can't find it in the search . I think it may have been scud who posted it up but as i said i can't locate it .
I remember that writeup also. A good and unbiased read it was.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
My experience ...............It had huge blind spots. The window height was too high to rest your arm on (on the door) for long trips. The centre console was too low to rest the other arm on when you wanted to rest the other way on long trips.
Edited out bits because what is above is my experience of driving a hire car 380 for just one day. Nice car (and so is the new camry), but both suffer from similar issues being nowhere to put your arms!

To the OP - for $22k, you can get a reasonable km BF XR6, maybe even XR6T, and you can definitely get a BA XR6T, and have money left over for some mods.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #21
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Edited out bits because what is above is my experience of driving a hire car 380 for just one day. Nice car (and so is the new camry), but both suffer from similar issues being nowhere to put your arms!

To the OP - for $22k, you can get a reasonable km BF XR6, maybe even XR6T, and you can definitely get a BA XR6T, and have money left over for some mods.
I'll tell ya, if I had $22k to spend on a car it wouldn't be an XR6T. Been there done that, most unreliable car I've ever owned. All shocks were gone at 100,000kms, dash rattles, drunk like a ****ed russian, slush box... 380 has a nice ride, good on fuel (if driven sensibly) gearbox is fantastic, great punchy engine, interior is nothing special with hard plastics etc, but for the price of one and the kit you get they're a steal.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Zabrowski

We've got a 380GT in the fleet I look after.

The driver swapped from a Fairmont & loves it. He has quite a big boat & it handles towing it with no problems

Its no sports car but I find it a pretty nice thing to drive. Very underrated car.

I hate the tail lights! But then looks are a matter of taste.

We've had absolutely no hassles with it mechanically, its up to 35000km now.
Zabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #23
Hally

Thanks for the feedback guys.

All I am looking for is a reliable reasonably comfy every day car that won't break down. I have the Mustang for the fund and the breakdowns!!

I agreee with most of the comments about the interior, exterior etc. I guess I do so many k's a year in peak hour traffic that I just look at the everyday driver as an appliance, and just looking for the best second hand value I appliance I can get.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 14-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
XR4568

Take a look at a Series 2 Platinum edition. Cheap as chips and gets a few more goodies such as sunroof, bluetooth, sports suspension (VRX settings), alloys, and some cosmeric tinsel.

A lot of car for not much money at all, that is what i would get. Can also put in on the factory approved LPG too.
XR4568 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabrowski
We've got a 380GT in the fleet I look after.

The driver swapped from a Fairmont & loves it. He has quite a big boat & it handles towing it with no problems
Big heavy boat + Steep boat ramp + Front wheel drive = SPLASH!!!

woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
However if you want a flash looking car with luxury interior to excite you, don't get one. Simple as that.
Sorry, I haven't read past this yet, because I had to make a point. This car can look very hot. I see the same 2007 380 GT every day, on the way to work. It looks beautiful! I think the owner has lowered it a little bit, but other then that, its stock (body). Its silver with nice rims, and lowered a little bit. It looks beautiful!

I'm not saying you are wrong in saying its not 'flash', but I guess its different for every person. I personally think the 380 GT looks fabulous, and so do many of my friends.

I say that if you find your self a good priced 380 GT, buy it!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Sorry, I haven't read past this yet, because I had to make a point. This car can look very hot. I see the same 2007 380 GT every day, on the way to work. It looks beautiful! I think the owner has lowered it a little bit, but other then that, its stock (body). Its silver with nice rims, and lowered a little bit. It looks beautiful!

I'm not saying you are wrong in saying its not 'flash', but I guess its different for every person. I personally think the 380 GT looks fabulous, and so do many of my friends.

I say that if you find your self a good priced 380 GT, buy it!
Sorry, I was only thinking of the base models when I wrote that, probably because I don't see many I tend to forget to realise what models there were of the 380 range. But yes, the higher levels like the Series III VRX and GT are relatively good looking and I've heard the 380's them selves are a good reliable car. And I agree if you do find a good priced 380 GT, buy it!
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Father in law bought a new 380 GTL end of last year, he's not a car person but was impressed with the level of kit and performance for the money.

From his point of view, only real downsides are lack of split / folding rear seat cushion, and non availability of an ipod/MP3 input for the stereo.
Old 15-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
I'll tell ya, if I had $22k to spend on a car it wouldn't be an XR6T. Been there done that, most unreliable car I've ever owned. All shocks were gone at 100,000kms, dash rattles, drunk like a ****ed russian, slush box... 380 has a nice ride, good on fuel (if driven sensibly) gearbox is fantastic, great punchy engine, interior is nothing special with hard plastics etc, but for the price of one and the kit you get they're a steal.

Someone obviously got a lemon and now thinks that ALL XR6T's are as poor as his was...

Enjoy the 380 GT dude...much better than an XR6T...

As mentioned in another post;
If it's decent transport your after, go the 380.
If your an enthusiast, keep looking.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
jasjul

I hired one while up at Darwin. We got a VRX with leather seats, I found them very comfortable. Took it out to Litchfield National Park and back along the dirt road, don't know what it's called, and it was very comfortable. Cruised well at up to 140km/h. I didn't like the auto. They have a learning auto, so if you getting into it, it learns to hold the gears. The problem I found, after cruising in traffic it goes into snooze mode and then has to relearn fang mode. Another thing Mitsubishi tiptronic +/- is reverse to Ford/Holden, which is a pain after driving Ford/Holden for work. If I were you I'd try and track down one of the few manuals out there.
jasjul is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post