Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
jonesy_87_

Default Buying a car interstate

Hey everyone,

Had a quick search on this topic but it didn't really clear things up for me..

Im pretty keen on a car that is situated in Victoria (I'm from NSW), now from what I've read, if I buy it I have a few options..

a) Put rego in my name in Victoria and pay stamp duty, drive the car back and then re-register it at the RTA, don't have to pay stamp duty and all is good.
If the Victorian rego is in my name does that mean I get the refund on the rego that was left (9 months)? Do I also get a refund for the CTP, or does this carry over interstate? Do I have to be a resident of Victoria to register it in my name?

b) Go to VicRoads with the owner and cancel the rego in Victoria and lose the refund on the rego, and then get a unregistered vehicle permit to drive the car back to NSW and get all the inspections done (AUVIS, etc). Re-register it in NSW.

Does anyone know how much a AUVIS inspection will cost? The car is an 05 July Xr6 and all thats done to it is 19" alloys and lowered. Are there any other costs that I should know about during this process?

Thanks for any heads up,
Just trying to figure out on whether its all worth it.

Cheers

jonesy_87_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently I bought a car from Qld to NSW. All we did was bring car home, took it to local Blue slip inspection station, fix any probs then off to RTA pay rego for 12 months and stamp duty/transfer fees. Was handed new plates over counter and took plates off and handed them in to RTA. The RTA want the old ones before you get the new ones so take screwdriver and pliers. No refund for us as we bought the car only 2-3 weeks before it was due and it was only a day or two to go when we swapped. You will have to front up to your insurance place because you need a GREENSLIP which does not have a rego no on it. You MUST HAVE a hard copy. RTA computers wont accept insurance paid over net without a rego no. It also has to be paid in full as usual.
As for the Blue slip, ask your local mechanic for a couple of names around your area and if something expensive is wrong take it back to your regular mechanic to check if it is or not. I got caught, mechanic thought he could spray some oil on the timing belt and even though we were told at the sale it had been changed mechanic said it was oil soaked and needed changing but not for the rego thankfully. We took the car to our bloke he ordered parts pulled out the belt and found NO OIL on the belt. So it still cost us $900. BEWARE. Hope this helps.
Old 29-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blue slip about $100 I think but there was a change and cost of a fog light globe also.