Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default Driving across the Nulabour

Hi all...

The family and i has decided to plan our first driving trip from Perth to Melbourne in the XR6T.

Just curious in hearing from people who have done it and things they did to there cars to prepare for the trip ( it will be in january so i presume it will be quite hot ). Also Ive worked out for it to be around 7000km round trip so if anyone can work out a fuel calculation that would be good too. Car averages 10.8 lt per 100km on the highway.

If you have any other tips or things that are good to see whilst travelling on the nalabour it would be appreciative.

Old 22-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Fez WQ

Cool perth to...

Well mate I have done it about 30+ times ...that is drive to SA and then sometimes to VIC

Going from perth you will want to fill up at Norsman and then eucla _cheapest fuel about 770 kms from memory I have done it in a Falson XE Falcon EL and AU and a mondeo and last year in Honda Oddyessy
I have never broken down alway stay at Eucla or ceduna or baladonia or cocalbiddy
Email me if ya want any more info

Get ya car serived before and pump ya tyres up to about 37 psi and ya wont have a problem
LAst summer it was 49 degress out there rather hot but ya car copes

have fun
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Fitting an insect screen in front of the radiator is a good idea there are occasional locust plagues on the Nullarbor and between Kalgoolie and Perth . At least carry one you can fit if the need arises. Take a spare belts and hoses and a puncture repair (plug) kit.
Old 22-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carbra would be good too
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Done it a few times on bikes, never in a car. My advice, dodge the roos and emus :-)
Old 23-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Done it a few times on bikes, never in a car. My advice, dodge the roos and emus :-)
XR6T with a Bull bar ftw.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
xr8-200

I drove from Perth to Adelaide to see clipsal less than a week after I got my licence.

Its a good idea to carry a jerry can. Also take plenty of water just in case because a lot of places don't have any.
xr8-200 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as far as long trips and holidays on the road go, one bit of advice that you can take or leave is....... 1. try not to take unnecessary stuff, continually unloading and loading the car to find stuff is a drag (learn`t that one the hard way).
2. try and fill up during day time, when i went across i found myself out of fuel at a shut servo .....had to sleep in the 4wd till it opened the next day :(.
There are some wonderfull viewing area`s along the nullabor looking out to sea, around Eucla area from memory, i think some of the rest area`s along the highway have rain water tanks (but i would take my own just in case), ... i reckon the 10 litre water containers from the supermarkets are the go if your camping they have inbuilt taps and store easily ,or even just for emergency water, one other thing a trip like that i wont go without is a bottle of wynns radiator stop leak(just in case),
3. travel during the day its safer imo, take your time and enjoy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
rodderz

Watch the wedge tails feasting on the dead roo's too, they don't bother moving for anyone
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
stewyg
XC Pride

basically i'll just repeat what everyone else has told you but only cause it's important! Take spare fluids for both cars and humans, various radiator & tyre repair kits, first aid kit. oh and a windscreen squegy to these get bugs off way better then your favorite t-shirt...

1976 Holden Sunbird. Compleatly showroom original. No mods. No major repairs 65000km's All recipts for all rego/service.

1986 FE LTD 510,000 kilometers on the clock and still going strong
stewyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Find this guys DVD and watch it! Jack absalom's Road To Survival Unfortunatly this is all I could find of Jack's guide but..
I'll always remember he recommends taking more than one jerry can - you bust one and your out of fuel. Same with water. (I now take 2 big Neverfail type water containers)
Always take a spare Coil. most things can be bodged together by fencing wire etc but if your coil is gone its gone. (should not happen in a newish Falcon tho)

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
as far as long trips and holidays on the road go, one bit of advice that you can take or leave is....... 1. try not to take unnecessary stuff, continually unloading and loading the car to find stuff is a drag (learn`t that one the hard way).
Its also bad for fuel economy - less weight = greater mileage.

Take heaps of water and spares. Insect screen is a good idea - my cousin's family used to drive around north western qld a lot and they quite frequently had to stop and pull bugs out of the radiator grille. The battery in their EB also cooked when airflow stopped due to all the bugs.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

When I did it I always just took myself and a backpack on the bike. No need for getting all over the top about reading survival crap. For god sake there is plenty of traffic, does not have man eating animals should you break down, is not really that hot and in many ways less dangerous than going to work. Good tar all the way. Maximum of 185km without fuel. I mean like take spares if you are driving an Austin A40 but any modern car will do it no fuss.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ OK, dont read any ROAD survival tips and dont take any spares if your in a new car.
pfft, leave the first aid kit and fire extinguisher at home too!

Click here to see my ute
Old 23-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
For god sake there is plenty of traffic, does not have man eating animals should you break down
No just psychopaths wanting to kill you

Quote:
I mean like take spares if you are driving an Austin A40 but any modern car will do it no fuss.
Dude its a falcon... not taking spares? : : Always take spare belts - especially if yours is old and its condition unknown.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Just go and do it mate. A jerry of good fuel is worth it if your running 98.
And don't fall asleep. Also if you have a radar detector, put it away before you cross the border.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
mcnews
Trev

See if you can beat my 22 minutes from Nullarbor Roadhouse to Yalata :-)
Old 23-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Watch out for this bloke...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

^^^^

:
Old 23-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Watch out for this bloke...

If you have something like roadside assist with the RACV or NRMA for example, and you break down cant you give em a bell? (granted it may take considerable time to get them out there)

Disadvantage is if your useless with a spanner you have no other alternative but to sit tight for how ever long it takes for them to get too you....

"Yes sir, no problem we are dispatching a van now and it should arrive in approximately 48 hours time"
Old 23-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ If you watch Jack Absaloms Road To Survival you wont need the RAC.

Click here to see my ute
Old 23-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
bd737

I want to do this Nullarbor trip myself very shortly, although the shorter sunlight hours in Winter now make it a bit scary with all the walking kangaroo steaks coming out to feed @ dawn/dusk.

Out of interest, do you spot many coppers on the road? I've also read they perform airborne speed checks from a light aircraft!
Old 23-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

As John said take at least 2 jerry cans for 98 fuel if you have the edit as you'll need it. Take time out to have a look at the cliffs along the way as they are beautiful.

Take your time as your not after the land speed record and you'll be right and just double check your car and enjoy the trip mate.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
envyyvne
Starter Motor

ok so my ef should have broken done a thousand times then? please as long as you get it serviced first and take some fuilds you should be right.
She did at least 1000km a day from wagga to perth, average speed was about 120 and with the car full of stuff (noone else wouldve fitted in the car..) she still got 600km to a tank.
The biggest problem you will have is boredom but at least you got the family to keep you sane ;)
spares are a good idea but if you worried about a hose breaking or a belt snapping why havnt you replaced it already?
envyyvne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #25
HOEBAG
Banned

one of those army knives are great. tooth pick has saved me a million times.
few paper clips
string
elastic band
womens stockings
usual travelling kit haha

on a side note did anyone see that show on SBS called bush mechanics?
bloody brilliant!
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate and I did the trip waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1978/9. Never took any of that cr@p didnt need it. Newish car. Sealed road all the way. Not THAT far between roadstops and I would assume lots more traffic nowadays. Easy peasy. But boring, but we didnt stop at any sightseeing places. Have fun.
Old 23-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #27
jason71
google is my friend

I remember doing the trip from Sydney to Perth with my parents in the summer of 1980-81 in a MINI !!!
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
mcnews
Trev

On one of my trips across on a road-trail bike a few years ago I saw a Japanese guy on rollerskates going down the road in the middle of nowhere, I kid you not.
Old 23-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Take plenty of CDs, unless you love occasionally getting ABC radio.
Did the trip at Xmas 06 in BA 6NA and averaged 9.9L/100km, air on all the time, sat on 125 but 115 near civilisation.
Don't forget to do the Nullabor wave to fellow travelers [break the boredom].
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #30
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper
womens stockings
!
That's for the party trick when your camped around a bondfire drinking billy tea or Jack Daniels what ever floats your boat.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
A mate and I did the trip waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1978/9. Never took any of that cr@p didnt need it. Newish car. Sealed road all the way. Not THAT far between roadstops and I would assume lots more traffic nowadays. Easy peasy. But boring, but we didnt stop at any sightseeing places. Have fun.
What make and model car was it mate?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post