Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Default Restoration of old race cars to practically new ???

What are your thoughts on resto s of old race cars and bringing them virtually up to brand new and if not better than they were origanally.Do you think it takes the history away from the cars and is it nesessary to go overboard as some do ?? Or do you replace and leave a certian rawness to a car ,This all comes about as i had a very interesting chat with a guy on what affects prices in todays market as these old racecars were ounce upon a time not woth that much but now the skies the limit ! so what do you think about restoring a car to former glory ?????????????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a fan of restoration with the old race cars - most were hit at some stage of their career so the originality sort of went out the window to some degree. As long as they are restored to when they were raced at the height of their career. (although this could allow the restorer to pick a number of paint schemes/sponsor stickers, etc).
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
GRNKPR

yeh but some had hits and i think a little scarring dosent hurt no on top but underneath and on inner guards etc

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you mean Race Cars or Touring Cars?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

i feel leave them original and as is... leave the shiny imacculate cars to the replicas
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
What are your thoughts on resto s of old race cars and bringing them virtually up to brand new and if not better than they were origanally.Do you think it takes the history away from the cars and is it nesessary to go overboard as some do ?? Or do you replace and leave a certian rawness to a car ,This all comes about as i had a very interesting chat with a guy on what affects prices in todays market as these old racecars were ounce upon a time not woth that much but now the skies the limit ! so what do you think about restoring a car to former glory ?????????????????????????
Personaly.. i like to see them in their original "as raced' condition, however there are occasions where a sympathetic resto is needed to make the car drivable and presentable. They certainly don't need a "toffee apple" show car resto.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I love seeing the old authentic touring/race cars being restored and so well presented. I suppose it can be argued they are being "over restored" (for want of a better term) but at some stage they would have been immaculate such as when first built or raced. Besides, how could you replicate racing wear and tear???

It's the preservation of history. Virtually any old wreck if it's found to have a racing history will be restored thanks to the current muscle car mania and a corresponding nostalgia trip we're all on. At one time such a car would have gone to the crusher and been lost forever.

Look at the ex Murray Carter XY GTHO PH3 that Grand Tourer restored. Over restored? Maybe but it's history preserved and we should be thankful that someone spent the bucks to have it done. I just love seeing it and I'm hoping it'll be at Eastern Creek in a few months. I don't care what the owners motivation is, the end result is that we have another authentic race/touring car to enjoy!!

On the subject of replicas I have no problem with replicas of famous cars that are no longer in existance as long as they're done right. I know of a replica of one of the Moffat coupes being built and will be at Eastern Creek in September. Believe me, this will be something to see.

Anyway, I'm just loving these time warp moments. Roll on September!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
smally289
growing up is optional

Or do it like the Moff Ph3 at the Bowdens, restored, but with a few battle scars left. Have a look at the bonnet moulding on this car.
Same with Bartletts Z28 and the scrape marks on the drivers window from that famous roll on the mountain.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
MRJUCY
Fordless

It depends on what they have to start with if the car can be kept in a reasonable usably condition it probably should be left alone but if a car is too far gone a sympathetic restoration is better then an unusable rustbucket in most cases.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

It depends. If the car is an ex Group C that was turned into a sprint car and thrashed to within an inch of it's life, then by all means, restore the nuts out of it, but if the car has been left alone, and is in a presentable enough condition (Dick Johnson's Tru Blu XD for example) then I reckon leave it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The next question is which version too, some of our most historically important touringcars have had a few updates: color schemes and model changes eg: XB to XC panels, production to improved production etc.. which version should the car look like?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

IMO which ever version was at the height of the cars success.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
I love seeing the old authentic touring/race cars being restored and so well presented. I suppose it can be argued they are being "over restored" (for want of a better term) but at some stage they would have been immaculate such as when first built or raced. Besides, how could you replicate racing wear and tear???

It's the preservation of history. Virtually any old wreck if it's found to have a racing history will be restored thanks to the current muscle car mania and a corresponding nostalgia trip we're all on. At one time such a car would have gone to the crusher and been lost forever.

Look at the ex Murray Carter XY GTHO PH3 that Grand Tourer restored. Over restored? Maybe but it's history preserved and we should be thankful that someone spent the bucks to have it done. I just love seeing it and I'm hoping it'll be at Eastern Creek in a few months. I don't care what the owners motivation is, the end result is that we have another authentic race/touring car to enjoy!!

On the subject of replicas I have no problem with replicas of famous cars that are no longer in existance as long as they're done right. I know of a replica of one of the Moffat coupes being built and will be at Eastern Creek in September. Believe me, this will be something to see.

Anyway, I'm just loving these time warp moments. Roll on September!!

i cant wiat too see that coupe aswell(have seen pics of painted looks sweet),Murrays car will be there and i will see you guys up there too ,still trying to organise a special guest sat night !!Fingers crossed

Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
IMO which ever version was at the height of the cars success.
Good call. That's why the Moffat "Project Phoenix" coupe is in its '77 XC Bathurst winning spec which is its most famous version.

In my opinion this leaves the way open for passionate fans to build replicas of its '76 XB spec, '78 XC Cobra spec and '79 Federation Insurance spec (if not already done!!).

Imagine seeing them all lined up together!! Bring it on!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The next question is which version too, some of our most historically important touringcars have had a few updates: color schemes and model changes eg: XB to XC panels, production to improved production etc.. which version should the car look like?
To whatever the owner prefers and can get a COD for.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good call. That's why the Moffat "Project Phoenix" coupe is in its '77 XC Bathurst winning spec which is its most famous version.

In my opinion this leaves the way open for passionate fans to build replicas of its '76 XB spec, '78 XC Cobra spec and '79 Federation Insurance spec (if not already done!!).

Imagine seeing them all lined up together!! Bring it on!!
As long as they are just replicas and don't race.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Besides, how could you replicate racing wear and tear???
Race them - simple!

The thing that currently p155es me off in Alfa Romeo circles is the current trend of restoring historically significant (in AUstralian terms anyway), heavily period modified cars back to how they left the factory doors -

Perfect examples:
The Brian Foley ultra lightweight F3 engined GTA - has been restored back to how it left the factory. Gone are the F5000 based front suspension, huge flares, and all of its Brian Foley race history.

The Brian Foley GTAm - at one stage fitted with a Tipo 33 3l V8 - and Competitive with Geoghegans Super Falcon, Moffats Boss 302 and Norm Beechy's Monaro - is now a "plain jane" GTAm (fairly rare car anyway!!) again...

It seems fairly common Europe too. Taking a slightly tatty but original GTA race car and turning it into an over restored street car it never was...