Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Extended drive: TRD Hilux

First and foremost, I dont rate myself as much of a writer or reviewer. I'm sure there'd be a couple of people around who are interested in this car so here goes.

Well I've had the privlege of having an extended drive of the TRD Hilux. The model driven was the 4000SL which is the higher in the range (there is also a cheaper 4000S available). Price of the vehicle retail is around $69500 drive away with a set of floor mats. One beautiful thing about such a pricey performance car though... being a ute capable of lugging 1 tonne, it doesn't attract luxury car tax.

My first impression? I'd buy a Maloo, or to a lesser extend a Pursuit. I quite like the VE HSV product, and would probably swing that way over the FPV alternative. The only benefits I can ultimately see from this car is the ability to have a bit of balls, carry your gear and cart the kids around at the same time. So in comparison to utes like the Crewman, Cross 8 or HSV XUV (hideous!) I would definitely pick something like this.

The exterior of the car is rather good. They've done enough on the outside to make on coming traffic know that this vehicle is a TRD and not just an SR5. The front bumper styling, though something that you'll either love or hate, is great in my books. The small details like the design of the grille. If you haven't noticed already, the pattern represents the 'R' in TRD's logo. Move on to the side profile.. and there's mixed emotions. The wheels, much like the FPV's weren't really cutting it. Perhaps this is the extent Prodrive have with the two marque's? Hah. They could have been better, though I will appreciate that because of it's 4x4 nature they couldn't have been too much bigger. Next was the black sports bars... they look great, and fit the theme rather than just the normal chrome found on the SR5 (yet another point of differentiation.) The stripes however, we could probably do without and look like they were shared with the F6X. At the rear you'll find a flat step rather than the chrome step on the SR5 - a nice touch also.

Interior... is probably where I was most disappointed. For me it looks as if the guys at TRD got their hands on the Hilux and said "Well, we'll slap some leather seats in it and colour the leather on the steering wheel and we'll be done with it." The TRD Aurion was a far better effort. In the Aurion they got stuck into the door trims, door spears and leather inserts, where the Hilux was left factory. The other failure, and I suppose I can understand that they really can't just do these things.. but the dash remains the light grey colour. At the end of the day, you have around 5 different colour shades inside the interior of the TRD Hilux, and to me it looks a bit messy and not very well done.

As with most Toyota's, there's no audio upgrade, so you're left with the factory unit. The dash remains the same, and the only insignia of TRD is on the gear knob, the seats and the build plate. Otherwise, it's a Hilux SR5.

Performance? Super. You would look at the 225kw figure and not think much of it, but you should really have a drive of it to make your mind up. It's a rather good setup, and I can tell you I wouldn't want it to be any faster. This car is missing in my opinion one very important piece of technology. Traction control. I'm no sissy, but I don't appreciate taking off from every set of lights twice. Once with no grip, and twice to finally get moving properly - and legally.

The supercharger whine is always a good thing, but there's obviously no V8 rumble backing it up. It's cool, but one wonders if you'd get annoyed with it after a while. Give it a squirt at 60km's and it sure boogies. It doesn't throw you back in the seat like other cars I've driven (notably the BF F6) but it certainly goes hard.

I guess at the end of the day if this car appeals to you it is a good piece of kit. At the price I wouldn't be convinced, but that's probably because I don't need a ute, and these days I don't really care much about performance cars as all they seem to do is promote bad behaviour.

In what scenario would I own one? If I lived back on the coast and, like many other gold coasters, had a helluva lot of cash spare for a good powerful 4 door ute.

Old 23-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Heh, I think the most important question is: how well does such a large vehicle like that handle? Power is nothing if the thing can't go around a corner fast. I'd bet the Holden and Ford utes would rip it a new one around the twistys.
Old 23-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Poetic Justice

As you'd expect. But it didn't handle too bad. I didn't get much of a chance to really show it any corners given the wet weather we've had. Nor was I all that confident as I usually am showing such a tall vehicle corners.
Old 23-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember it is a ute, a REAL ute, not a two door car with a really big boot that can only carry a few louis viutton suitcases and an esky full of premix cosmopolitins before it is overloaded.

I suspect they will sell exceptionally well........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Nappa
Impressive...

i've driven the new hilux quite a lot and found it average. Its a big tough robust ute, however like the TRD aurion i find it rather lacking. In the looks department both cars are fat but when driving the hilux it felt very tinnie and cheap. The Trd is a bit to unpredictable, particualy in the wet, and the interior is pox. That said we have orders out for about 5 months and we are getting good money for them. However i if i had that money i'd be spending it on the HSV or FPV ute.
Old 23-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Poetic Justice

Absolutely. We've got orders out also, and agreed with flappist as we've already seen, they will definitely sell well!
Old 23-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It looks to be the only Ute in it's class, it cannot be compared to a Pursuit or Maloo.

The Cross8 has awd and would be the closest competitor, that said it would not get to half the places the TRD would.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
DeansXR8

i read a revue of this ute in one of the major papers and it was talking about the superchager whine..saying how annoying it was & why can't toyota make it quiet like in the aurion.
I was thinking the whine is part of the fun in getting a supercharger, other than the obvious HP gain??
Anyway great little insight into the ute, Thanks.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Need_a_V8

But is it worth the extra $$$ over a normal Hilux?
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Sprint XR8

$69500 for a performance ute with a DRUM BRAKE REAR END!!!!!
Whats next fpv ranger,hsv rodeo.....
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex

So when you drove it the brakes were not up too the task ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Poetic Justice

Brakes were definitely good for me. If it it stops, it stops.
Old 26-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
I could not part with $70,000 for a Hilux that isn't that nice inside and doesn't look that good. $70,000 !!!! I don't know why anyone would buy one for that price.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

70k nuff said
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
I could not part with $70,000 for a Hilux that isn't that nice inside and doesn't look that good. $70,000 !!!! I don't know why anyone would buy one for that price.

the picture they had in the papaer when there were first talks of it, it looked alot nicer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toyota-hilux-front-f3q.jpg (38.8 KB, 74 views)
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
the picture they had in the papaer when there were first talks of it, it looked alot nicer.
That's the Top Gear Polar Hilux.
http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...olar-hilux/01/

Put together by http://www.arctictrucks.com/

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 26-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
You know there was such a thing as a HSV Rodeo some years back.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza XL
yeah this model comes with the gun... well worth the money!

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
yeah this model comes with the gun... well worth the money!
Would take road rage to a whole new level!
Old 26-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #20
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
You know there was such a thing as a HSV Rodeo some years back.
Was that where the dealer principle told you something wasn't covered under waranty and he had to see how long he could hold on?
Old 26-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
So when you drove it the brakes were not up too the task ?
he has a point though, Toyota makes pretences of a high performance ute (TRD) no doubt it goes well but a few laps around any track would against any of the Ford /holden performance ute`s show the Hilux to be a nippy commercial with extra`s, actually i`d put money a stock xr6 ute would see it off over a few laps of any track.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would you put the money on a xr6 racing across the desert,sand dunes,snow two totally differnt vechicles for to different purposes. off the track/road i dare say the trd would smash it.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Joey_Falcon