Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
xccoupe

Default Egas to Perth

Hi all
We’re looking at buying a new egas falcon and driving over to the west
from Melbourne to perth, then up to pot headland.

Would anybody know what the availability of gas would be like along the way?
Cheers

xccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Tobey
BF Ute...

Here you are:

http://www.nowwhere.com.au/lpga/planner/default.aspx

Handy little thing, pretty accurate too.

EDIT: did a quick search, seems that there is no more than 200K's without a gas servo...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
xccoupe

Thanks Tobey looks great and works a treat.
Cheers
Old 16-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Nashy86

Be careful tho.
I used a similar tool when planning my driving holiday to Ayres Rock & Surrounding areas from here in Vic. Took the Egas and planned to fill up at every opportunity, when we drove into Kings Canyon (300k's or so from the las fillup) their only gas bowser had a stuffed pump, so it was a nervous drive from there to the next servo which had gas, made it with 150 odd k's on the "range" calculator.

Moral of the story: fill up whenever possible when in remote areas, if I'd gotten to Kings Canyon with less than half a tank I would have been driving out on an expensive tow truck.
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Tobey
BF Ute...

Just make sure you take it easy on the trip, conserve fuel over the big distances. I did a trip to northern NSW and the closest gas pump was over 150km away to the town we were in, so i had to avoid using my car when we were in the town...
Old 16-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

this is the only draw back i have found with the gas only car, is that you have to plan your trips more and sometimes have to limit the amount of side trips you can do on the way.

but most of the time its not a problem

i recently went for a trip out to central qld ( carnarvon gorge) and the closest i could get gas was at Banana , Roma or Emerald. ended up making the round trip through Banana on the way there and Emerald on the way home . if i could have bought gas in the local towns (Springsure, Rollestone or Injune) i would have stayed and explored the area more.

i think that if the govement were serious about promoting lpg they would be helping the smaller servos get gas bowsers installed . if lpg was available in more towns then a lot of country drivers would switch over for sure. i know of a few servo owners in small towns who have been trying to get lpg for years but the suppliers dont want to know them because they dont have enough turn over.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

How much range do you get in the E-Gas cars? and what size tank do they have?
I am wondering as I have a E-Gas BF MK11 Ute, (twin tanks) and am getting close to 800 Km's whilst on trips at a steady 110Kmph.
Regards Bob
Old 17-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Abacus
Life's a Gas

BFII E-gas Capacities (Usable)

Sedan: 93L
Ute: 90L
Wagon: 116L
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
xccoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP.UTE1
How much range do you get in the E-Gas cars? and what size tank do they have?
I am wondering as I have a E-Gas BF MK11 Ute, (twin tanks) and am getting close to 800 Km's whilst on trips at a steady 110Kmph.
Regards Bob
Hi Bob
A mate has a new egas fg falcon (1 week old) his first fill was at the 480km mark and took 72 lt if that helps

Did you fit the extra tank in the ute if so do you know what size tanks you have.

Have you tried towing with the egas.

The reason I am asking is that we are looking at the rtv ute and was thinking about having the trailer(850kg) tag along, will the ute turn into a gutless pig.
Cheers
Old 17-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have done a bit of towing with my ute and found that it performs fine.
towed a car trailer with ferguson tractor and slasher back from central nsw no worries and the other day i did nearly 200km with a kanga trench digger and all its accessories on a trailor. the fuel consumption does naturally go up when towing.
i would normally average around 12 -14 l/km everyday driving mix of town and country highway, when towing big trailer loaded up about 19 - 20 l/km. these loads would be around the 2 tonne mark though so an 850kg trailer should not worry you too much.i often tow a 7x4 box trailer and unless its got a fair load in it you would forget its on the back.

the utes come standard with 2 gas tanks , one on each side of tail shaft under the tray.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #11
xccoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
i have done a bit of towing with my ute and found that it performs fine.
towed a car trailer with ferguson tractor and slasher back from central nsw no worries and the other day i did nearly 200km with a kanga trench digger and all its accessories on a trailor. the fuel consumption does naturally go up when towing.
i would normally average around 12 -14 l/km everyday driving mix of town and country highway, when towing big trailer loaded up about 19 - 20 l/km. these loads would be around the 2 tonne mark though so an 850kg trailer should not worry you too much.i often tow a 7x4 box trailer and unless its got a fair load in it you would forget its on the back.

the utes come standard with 2 gas tanks , one on each side of tail shaft under the tray.
Thanks dave351cid I had a look under the ute today and found the twin tanks, sort of threw me with the 90lt usable for some reson I was thinking
1 tank.
anyhow thanks for the info
Old 18-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know about across the nullabor.

But up the coast from perth to Port hedland there are plenty of servo's, quite a few country towns on the way, probably the longest stretch is between northhampton (just north of geraldton) to Billabong but other than that, you'll see a servo just about every 1-2 hrs.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

My RTV dual fuel sucked down the gas like i do schooners on a Friday across the Nullabor. That headwind killed the range.

Just be prepared for high prices for LPG along the way - wouldn't suprise me if LPG is over a $1 at places like Nullabor roadhouse and Eucla given what i pad 12 mnths ago. I only had to flip back to fuel wehen i went off Highway 1, but other than that it was good.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
My RTV dual fuel sucked down the gas like i do schooners on a Friday across the Nullabor. That headwind killed the range.

Just be prepared for high prices for LPG along the way - wouldn't suprise me if LPG is over a $1 at places like Nullabor roadhouse and Eucla given what i pad 12 mnths ago. I only had to flip back to fuel wehen i went off Highway 1, but other than that it was good.
What was the longest distance between fuel stops across the Nullabor?
Old 18-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Looks like its Balladonia - Norseman 207km
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

I filled up at Ceduna, Border village (then 10 kays down the road it was 8c/litre cheaper at Eucla), madura (Great spot to stay the night - great place to enjoy a beer - the staff are great) the Norseman - but the RTV only has 60 usable ltrs so I filled up at least every 380-400 kays
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... seeing as the Around Australia Challenge managed to fill up everywhere ... I don't think it would be a problem really.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might jump in here, does anyone know how much gas a normal tank in the back of a sedan would hold?
Also, BA Fairmont Ghia 4L on gas, does anybody have any rough highway and city L/100km averages?
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

please dont jump on the bandwagon and tell everyone gas is better. ( we run 3 cars on gas). otherwise you know what the gumbiment will do ?. theyre not gonna miss out so bang lpg goes up to ulp prices !
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post