Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Fitting a tilt/tele steering column??

Is there a tutorial or instruction on how to replace a fixed position steering colum, with a tilt/tele steering column? or am i doomed to create one? :P

Last edited by BLUEPRINT; 02-06-2008 at 12:23 PM.
InfernoSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

The answer's obviously no, but aren't they all tilt/tele adjustable? Hell, my EA and EB are and they're both base models.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought they all were too, my series 1 povo pack has it.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

My series 1 forte' hasn't :( ... unless the adjuster lever is simply missing?? but i'm unsure what to look for...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

As with everyone else, i thought they all came with them. Unless of course the colum shift models didn't.

In this pic you can see the lever that controls the tilt/reach of the wheel

Now, either the colum shift models don't have this feature, or the different bottom cover that you have on your colum covers this. Take the cover off and have a look, you may get lucky.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Had a look... no luck... mine doesnt have the right things... and i think you are right superroo... it looks like column shift didnt have tilt/tele steering... which makes sense i spose :P

Now to source one... :(
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Had a look... no luck... mine doesnt have the right things... and i think you are right superroo... it looks like column shift didnt have tilt/tele steering... which makes sense i spose :P

Now to source one... :(
If you can wait a few weeks, I'll be stripping my Fairlane starting this weekend.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
If you can wait a few weeks, I'll be stripping my Fairlane starting this weekend.
I'm hardly in a rush atm... hope you can take some pics and stuff of what and how you had to do in order to remove it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
I'm hardly in a rush atm... hope you can take some pics and stuff of what and how you had to do in order to remove it.
I certainly can!!! It'll probably be the last thing I do so I can keep the shell manouverable. If you don't hear from me within 2 weeks, PM me as there's a fair chance I will have forgotten!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
I certainly can!!! It'll probably be the last thing I do so I can keep the shell manouverable. If you don't hear from me within 2 weeks, PM me as there's a fair chance I will have forgotten!
lol... ok...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
lol... ok...
Yep, grey hair and memory loss at 28, it's a worry!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Yep, grey hair and memory loss at 28, it's a worry!
Oh god no!... i'm only 25 with the same issues... :

On another not... i saw a steering column on Ebay for sale... was thinking about it, but would prefer to deal with an AFF member... and give them my money :P
Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Oh god no!... i'm only 25 with the same issues... :

On another not... i saw a steering column on Ebay for sale... was thinking about it, but would prefer to deal with an AFF member... and give them my money :P
Hey mate, that's all good - you gotta grab what suits you - if the ebay one is quicker for you, go for it!! Either way, I'll get you some pics of the uninstall. I wonder if I can remove it WITHOUT an anglegrinder
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Hey mate, that's all good - you gotta grab what suits you - if the ebay one is quicker for you, go for it!! Either way, I'll get you some pics of the uninstall. I wonder if I can remove it WITHOUT an anglegrinder
: Well you'd want to if you want to try and sell it to me... :P
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a thought.. If the column shift steering wheels were not adjustable from factory, isn't it likely there is a reason for it?
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Just a thought.. If the column shift steering wheels were not adjustable from factory, isn't it likely there is a reason for it?
My guess would be because of the gear changing linkages... but due to mine already be floor shift conversion... i can ditch all that stuff and put in a proper steering column... :
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
: Well you'd want to if you want to try and sell it to me... :P
Hehe, fine, no angle grinders then :

It's ok though, I got my destruction fix today - brought it to it's final resting place today which is where it's going to be stripped. Couldn't be stuffed pushing it into place, so with the help of a 2.5 tonne forklift, I got it to where it needed to be!

As I'll have fork access, I won't need to leave the steering column, so I'll try get it out within 2 weeks provided my airbag tool arrives in time. You need covers or anything like that?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Hehe, fine, no angle grinders then :

It's ok though, I got my destruction fix today - brought it to it's final resting place today which is where it's going to be stripped. Couldn't be stuffed pushing it into place, so with the help of a 2.5 tonne forklift, I got it to where it needed to be!

As I'll have fork access, I won't need to leave the steering column, so I'll try get it out within 2 weeks provided my airbag tool arrives in time. You need covers or anything like that?
For sure... but it all depends on the $$ in the end... as it has to be frieghted...
Old 14-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Ok... to bring up an old thread...

I have been offered a BA Steering column... can this be fitted to the AU1? as the overall looks and function will suit the BA Dash conversion i am planning.
Old 18-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Anyone? or do i need to explore this myself?
Old 19-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Come on guys... any help?
Old 22-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #22
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Looks like you'll be the pioneer!

Personally I'd just live with it's taxi heritage, or use an AU tilt column.
Old 22-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #23
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Looks like you'll be the pioneer!

Personally I'd just live with it's taxi heritage, or use an AU tilt column.
Ex fleet car heritage is not an option to me or my ride... :P