Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
mmhmm

Smile car mechanic apprenticeships

hi guys,
i just wanted to find out if there are any mechanics/apprenticers that can give me abit of insight into what the job would be like???
most of the work i've done is in an office but would like to undertake an apprenticeship.
so if people can give me any indications of the job and industry it'd be great
btw where can i get apprenticeships for light vehicles??? ay advice on this and whether or not its a good trade for future would be great.. im just worried wether im making the right choice, :

any advice would be great guys
thanks

mmhmm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Seems to me a case of the grass is greener on the other side.

I kind of did the reverse of you.
I was/am a small engine mechanic by trade (mowers chainsaws etc)
I was forced to give it up due to dermatitis...in the end I had cracks in my hands so bad, I was unable to pull the handbrake on in my car.
So I focused on the customer service side of the work, (the sales and customer contact) and used that to get to where I am today...in an office Job. I used to dream about being able to come home at the end of the day and not have to worry about having a shower and cleaning up before I sat on the lounge........I for one think the office job is a better prospect and I come home clean.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Im a second year apprentice at Torquegas Caloundra. Being mechanically minded, I love my job and dont mind having to take a shower after a long, greasy, sweaty day at work. The pay isnt fantastic as an apprentice (im 28 and on $14.90/hr.....and thats above award wage for a mature age apprentice) and as i have a family to raise and bills to pay i need to work a 2nd job. however, if you still live with mum and dad, it shouldnt be too bad. at 3 months, the government will give you $800 tool allowance in the form of a tool card so you can purchase your own tools and if your lucky your employer or apprenticeship management agency will give you another $400. tools are not yours to keep until 9mths though. talk to your local apprenticeship agencies about other incentives etc as i think it changes from state to state. they will also be able to help you with looking for an apprenticeship too. Centerlink will have a list of agencies in your area if you dont know where to begin. Good luck

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you need to take a good hard look at yourself first and consider: Am I too lazy to do a very involved task properly, so I will take short cuts instead and maybe it will work out for the best? or are you the type who will ALWAYS be thorough and ensure the customer will be getting value for money? I can't get enough of what I do but that doesn't give any indication of whether you will enjoy it. I think if your on a forum asking people you don't know if you should be a mechanic or what ever then I'd say don't do it. Some people like fords, some like Holdens. Some like being a mechanic some find out that they don't.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be following this thread closely. I too am heavily considering looking towards a mechanical apprenticeship of some sort.

I'm 27 years old, have been a full time at home dad for most of the last 8 years and never really managed to pick what I would do with myself once my son started prep. The closest I have come is mechanic.. Primarily because unlike much else, I find working on cars rather calming. I seem to feel at peace with mental clarity.. hard to explain. At any rate, even when things go up I don't seem to loose my cool near as much as in other aspects of life.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

To be a mechanic you have to have a passion for cars and not mind getting hands on/dirty etc. You also have to accept that its not going to be the best paying job in the world although the pay isnt too bad. There's always opportunities to branch out into other areas later on once you've been on the tools for a while.

As for getting an apprenticeship, it shouldnt be too hard seeing as there is a shortage of apprentices/mechanics (well in WA anyway).
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You may find working on your car calming, but when you working on someones elses sh!tbox that needs to be back on the road in an hour and you know they are going to whinge about the price, it will no longer feel 'calming'.

Go and be a plumber, you'll earn twice as much and at the end of the day you wont be any dirtier.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 AM   #8
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
You may find working on your car calming, but when you working on someones elses sh!tbox that needs to be back on the road in an hour and you know they are going to whinge about the price, it will no longer feel 'calming'.

Go and be a plumber, you'll earn twice as much and at the end of the day you wont be any dirtier.
Sounds just like working on a tech bench in a computer store, which I've done quite happily before too. :p

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Yep, exactly like this in IT. I was 'directed' into IT because I was a computer 'nerd', and had been tinkering with them since I was 5.

Now I hate IT and I am cynical, bitter 26 year old who now realises that most people are stupid and generally have an IQ on par with their shoe size. I also don't like going to work, especially considering I now have a giant knob for a boss.

Do you need passion to work in some industries? Yes. Will you want to continue that passion outside of work? Probably not.

I used to think those who did not have a passion for computers should not work in IT, and to an extent that is true, but at the end of the day, making a hobby a job isn't always a good idea and more often than not you will end up not liking it.

If you are smart and aren't a mechanical dunce, then you will go far. I used to work in the auto industry doing IT and a fair few of the apprentices I saw I would not let near my vehicle. I made that mistake once and they asked _me_ what the brake caliper slides were and if they should refit them! : I said bloody hell you will refit them!!!! Needless to say I do almost all my own work now.

The industry could do with some good people in it, so if you think you're up to the task then go for it. And remember, always be ethical. Nothing ****es people off more than dodgy mechanics. I had a good one once then he retired :(.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
Im a second year apprentice at Torquegas Caloundra. Being mechanically minded, I love my job and dont mind having to take a shower after a long, greasy, sweaty day at work. The pay isnt fantastic as an apprentice (im 28 and on $14.90/hr.....and thats above award wage for a mature age apprentice) and as i have a family to raise and bills to pay i need to work a 2nd job. however, if you still live with mum and dad, it shouldnt be too bad. at 3 months, the government will give you $800 tool allowance in the form of a tool card so you can purchase your own tools and if your lucky your employer or apprenticeship management agency will give you another $400. tools are not yours to keep until 9mths though. talk to your local apprenticeship agencies about other incentives etc as i think it changes from state to state. they will also be able to help you with looking for an apprenticeship too. Centerlink will have a list of agencies in your area if you dont know where to begin. Good luck
I have to say I admire your tenacity. It's tough raising a family at the best of times, let alone earning meagre dollars while in training. Hang in there and get that piece of paper.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:

Some one here knows exactly what there on about... make it worse and turf the Word taxi in there and make it half an hour......
I used to love working on cars, mates cars parents the lot. Well 8 years of being a mechanic and i wish i had done somthing differnt now.. i hate the dam things. After a while u dont really like one car over another there all boxes at some stage in there life.
JUst stay in IT , unless u want a dirty low paying job.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
Some one here knows exactly what there on about... make it worse and turf the Word taxi in there and make it half an hour......
I used to love working on cars, mates cars parents the lot. Well 8 years of being a mechanic and i wish i had done somthing differnt now.. i hate the dam things. After a while u dont really like one car over another there all boxes.

I felt exactly the same I did my apprenticship at a holden dealer then finished it off in Heavy Vehicles, I then opend a shop back on cars and 2 years of doing mostly car yeard work ifI hear "cant ya just" again I go postal I sware, I then went back to heavy equipment for a few years then in to the office of the same company befor workign in porduct support for one of the largest intermodal equipment manufacturers in the world, (I'm still with this company but not in a mechanical / technical capacity)

When I left the tools behind I was over the moon, it took arround 6 months before I needed mechanical stimulance so I got the ZC, I finished it got board built an EJ for my brother inlaw, finished it got board brought a boat (the Mrs had the $hits with me working on cars every weekend) needed mechanical stimulation and got the Chev

Dont tell the Mrs but once its done I'll probably start all over again

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Tobey
BF Ute...

I have a few mates doing/did apprenticeships in motor vehicles.

Most of them dont like it because they have realised the future prospects arent the best. Its hard work and not particullarly rewarding.

A good mate is 3 years through and reckons he is going elsewhere when he finishes his apprenticeship.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
I have a few mates doing/did apprenticeships in motor vehicles.

Most of them dont like it because they have realised the future prospects arent the best. Its hard work and not particullarly rewarding.

A good mate is 3 years through and reckons he is going elsewhere when he finishes his apprenticeship.
Na the future prospects suck,

Like any thing they are what you make of it, Out of the people i did my aprentiship with, 1 guy farily high up in a auto leasing company looking after the finances on there fully maintained vehicels. another guy is now the national service manager for a hevy equipement company 2 guys now have there own shops and a re doing great, I'm doign quite well and now have a few of the guys that taught me my trade workign for me, my dads 64 has his own shop and is doing quite well and is happy doign what he does.

So yep its a dead end job with no prospects

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Trust me ... stay in IT ... it may be a drag ... but it pays better.

I have helped others in workshops ... and worked on my own vehicle as well ... have seen what it is like first hand with customers saying "can't ya just do this???" etc. It's not fun ... and the state people bring vehicles in thinking things will be fixed in an hour.

Yeah working on cars may be fun ... but only for a limited time. Doing it day-in-day out ... not for me really. I dunno if i could handle it really. If it paid better I may be interested ... but it really doesn't pay enough for what is involved really.

I don't know how the mechanics out there survive really. I have respect for the good ones out there that put the time and effort into their work.

I have stuck with IT for so long ... I don't like it ... but hey it does pay the bills. I have an outlet ... and that's a 2nd job on the road delivering (and that's a pretty decent paying 2nd job ... much better than being a mechanic as well).

If you are young and have the drive and passion for being a mechanic ... go ahead and jump in ... it's better if you start into it young ... but it is harder as a mature-age apprentice (especially if coming from an office job that pays double or more).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #16
redranga

Dont do it. If your want to do an apprenticeship do one that licensed eg plumber sparky or fridgie. The money that you earn in the city is much better.

If you have to be a mechanic dont play with cars as it pays crap. Do your time as a diesel mechanic.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
I used to love working on cars, mates cars parents the lot. Well 8 years of being a mechanic and i wish i had done somthing differnt now.. i hate the dam things. After a while u dont really like one car over another there all boxes at some stage in there life.
JUst stay in IT , unless u want a dirty low paying job.
That's how you see it, i've been in the trade for 10 years and still have the same enthusiasm as when I started. I always advise that a job is done when it's finished and that is the way it is and if they want it faster then they should have bought it in earlier. I think the worst thing you can do is continue on with backyarders after work, you will get sick of the job as you feel like you never get away from the job. Family and friends never ask for me to do a job for them 'cause I usually say no unless it's a special one off job. Keep your work at work and enjoy your life at home.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

if you have to ask, my guess is you probably won't like the job. as great as it sounds now, you won't be working on super cool gt's or whatever all day. mostly you'll be doing basic services and as stated you are always facing deadlines- usually incredibly tight ones.

i have heard of council labourers and trade assistants who are on more per hour than most of the mechanics i know, and thats after they have their ticket. the only way to earn decent money is too work hard and make yourself a reputation for quality, accurate workmanship and maybe try to break into speciality work or maybe top level motorsport.

rest assured it's not glamourous work, you WILL bust knuckles, you will utter words you've never said aloud before, and there will be days you'll just want to throw your tool box in the creek.....but it can also be highly rewarding.

at the end of the day it's uo to you and will largely depend on your personality and drive to succeed. why not look into doing a tafe course (it's what i did) or find out about any work experience possablities in your area...maybe a local job network provider can help you out?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

I did a apprentiship and stayed in the mechanic trade for 8 years after that ...and as much as i love my cars ..working as a mechanic is a job and not like just fixing your own car...Its like most things frustrating, annoying and boring at times...
I left as my back started giving out and i did not ant to get worse..and have done the last 10 years in a office as IT person...
I work on my car and work in office during the day..better pay & usually better conditions ....keep the office job ....or if you really are dedicated..make sure you give it your all and stick to it
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post