Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

Default Tickford Premium Brakes

G'day All,

Just got a pair of Brand new AU2-3 Tickford premium brake calipers to go on to an AU once we find one for the missus.

Now i have a few questions as to how these have to be fitted up. Firstly,
Can the Tickford calipers be used on the std brakes?
Is there a difference in size between AU std rotor and AU premuim rotor?
If we require the Tickford Premium Rotor to allow the calipers to fit, is there another adapter bracket for the Caliper to mount to allow for the possibly bigger rotor?

Basically just trying to get a guide as to what parts we need to get these calipers to fit and work. Im guessing the price of Genuine rotors and pads is going to be pretty steep so hopefully DBA make a slotted version of the same rotor. Does anyone know if they do?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Jeff

Old 29-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice, I'd have thought brand newies would be hard to come by, and/or very expensive.
To fit them to an AU2 or 3 you'll need a bracket, as well as new rotors (329mm rotors, not sure what standard is, but Tickford setup is definitely bigger). DBA and RDA both make slotteds to suit, DBA's are around $600, RDAs are ~$300 (price per pair). Quality is apparently comparable, except maybe under extreme conditions. The bad news is if you don't have the bracket, apparently it's hideously expensive from Ford. To fit them to an AU1 you don't need the bracket, but you need the upright, which is probably even harder to come by. The difference is if you mount them on AU2/3 with the bracket they're front mounted, on AU1 they're on the trailing edge of the rotor. If you like there's a pdf from Ford with all the info on the premium brakes, LG kindly passed it on to me, so if you want it PM me and I'll email it on to you.
I hope that helps a bit, and good luck with it,
Matt.
Old 29-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

Cheers for that mate. Pretty much everything i needed to know right then and there.
Looks like i'll be chasing a pair of those brackets to suit. Anyone have any idea of the price?
Will have to try and make sure we get a series 2 or 3 AU then and not a series 1.
Also any idea of price on replacement pads? A/market or genuine?

Cheers Jeff
Old 29-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN
Cheers for that mate. Pretty much everything i needed to know right then and there.
Looks like i'll be chasing a pair of those brackets to suit. Anyone have any idea of the price?
Will have to try and make sure we get a series 2 or 3 AU then and not a series 1.

Cheers Jeff
When I got mine (with the bracket) Shaynet was telling me that he had a mate who had tried to get the brackets. Ford wanted $800 for the pair and to get them made up it was going to be about the same.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 29-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
The difference is if you mount them on AU2/3 with the bracket they're front mounted, on AU1 they're on the trailing edge of the rotor. Matt.
My T2 has them on the trailing edge. It was a running change, at the end on AUII production and all AUIII have calipers on the leading edge whether that be Forte of Brembo equipped T Series
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 29-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I agree with you 51RTE, but what I was saying is that an AU2/3 Falcon would have them on the leading edge if you retrofitted them, since they have the standard brakes there hence with the bracket that's where you'd mount them. The T1's/some T2's had them on trailing edge on the special upright, whereas like you said, the changeover late T2 and T3 have them mounted leading edge, on standard AU3 upright.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN

Cheers Jeff
Pads are pretty reasonable actually (go aftermarket), about $60-$70 for Bendix GCT, which lots of the T-series guys seem to use and recommend. I've bought a set but am yet to install them so can't speak from experience unfortunately. The Bendix Ultimates chew the rotors apparently, and something like EBC Greenstuff is ~$180 for a pair, and frankly unless you're racing I don't think is worth it.
Cheers.
ps. Ford charge $250 for 'genuine' front pads, including the mounting pins. Considering you can get the pins from Cebco for $25, it makes their pads seem a tad on the expensive side!
Old 29-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Yeah I agree with you 51RTE, but what I was saying is that an AU2/3 Falcon would have them on the leading edge if you retrofitted them, since they have the standard brakes there hence with the bracket that's where you'd mount them. The T1's/some T2's had them on trailing edge on the special upright, whereas like you said, the changeover late T2 and T3 have them mounted leading edge, on standard AU3 upright.
True i never even thought that if they were 'retrofitted' they would go on the front as per brake line location.

re Pads - Yeah im running GCT's (on new rotors) and they are almost bedded in and i have had no hassles so far yet great pregresive pedal feel. When i got my quotes for my new brakes i got quoted $249 from ford aswell, makes my $56 look like nothing also rotors there were $550. Also had quotes from, 'other' workshops in the same ballpark as ford :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 29-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #9
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

Cheers for the replys guys. I've had a wealth of info given to me here

Looks like i'll have to get some Bendix GCT pads for starters. Just waiting for a reply about the brackets and have another pair available if it falls through so that should be that sorted. Then it'll just be rotors, if rotors are around $500 a pair from ford i might have to try a set of DBA slotted replacements.

Now just got to get the car that their going to be going on and get into it.

Cheers fellas.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
UKXR8

I went down this path and it was a complete pain as I picked up the rotors and callipers for hardly anything, however I didn't have the brackets, got given the runaround, but it turns out Ford don't have the parts anyore. In the end I couldn't get hold of the bracket/uprights to go on an AU2 XR8 from anywhere. Ended up going with a BF2 XR8 front brake set up from FTG which seems up to the job and bolted up directly no problems at all.
I do now have some very shiny Tickford paperweights as a result!
Old 24-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Rcstanley

Default Re: Tickford Premium Brakes

how much for.the calipers if your selling them
Old 24-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do realise the last post was almost 5 years ago.
Old 24-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 year old thread you dug up... Nice mining effort.

No the calipers aren't for sale.
Old 28-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

At least old mate used the search function!
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread