Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Default Hoon Hotline

It seems the government have to much money to spend
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...94-661,00.html
In this time of high intrest rates, water restrictions and hight costs of living the government could be spending our tax dollars a little more wisely.

ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

city of casey has had this for a while allready, big sign when you turn into the estate with a phone number.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
MRJUCY
Fordless

Does anyone know Harold Scruby's number plate?
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can dob in irresponsible drivers too - that means old grannies who drive in a dangerous manner, old men who drive the wrong way around a roundabout, pensioners stopping in the middle of the road because they have forgotten their way to centrelink etc. I would say to use it as much as you can against those who are just as dangerous as hoons, but can be pinged for driving in a dangerous manner.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Seen those signs plastered through endeavour hills, dandy and the likes.... Problem is that if you just plain don't like someone you can simply log in and make a complaint and get your mates to do the same...

+1 for money can be spent elsewhere
Old 20-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, this looks like it will really work...
I reckon everyone on the forum should ring up once a week, clog the system with BS and show them how well it will work.
This will be abused for all the wrong reasons.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just report the PM/Governor General/State Governor etc car’s

They all have distinguished plates on there cars

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've been tempted a few times to ring crimewatch after seeing the stickers on the rear end of police vehicles and giving their rego numbers because the driver is quite obviously having a conversation on a mobile phone while driving.
I've never understood why some police seem to think the laws only apply to the general public, and not them.
Another example that happened this week: an unmarked car illegaly parking on the lawn out the front of the hospital. A bloke jumps out (in uniform) and heads to the front door. Maybe he's on urgent police business, I thought...but the theory was shot down when said officer decided to have a social chat with a staff member out the front for 10 minutes before continuing on his way. The only logical conclusion I could come to was that he was just too lazy to walk the extra 50m from the visitor's carpark.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

meh cops are allowed to talk on their mobile phones whilst driving - they get special training!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Bob Yellow
Starter Motor

the cops are allowed to talk on mobiles while driving because that part of the law does not apply to them due to fact they are always checking on thing and would be pulling over a million times a day. or so what i have been told by officers
Bob Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
GSfalcon500

How is this going to work.Will the caller have to have evidence of the "crime"?,will they have to testify in court if you deny the "criminal offence"?
Sounds like something that would happen in a east european communist country during the cold war days where every one would inform the goverment on each other
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

They would need to have been reported for the same offence twice I would assume. Video footage, photographs, some sort of evidence would have to be provided otherwise.

If someone makes a statement about it, they can pursue it and attempt to get an admission from the person accused of hooning via an interview I suppose...

Many different ways for it to go... I would say it's mostly scare tactics.
Old 20-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
boo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfalcon500
How is this going to work.Will the caller have to have evidence of the "crime"?,will they have to testify in court if you deny the "criminal offence"?
Sounds like something that would happen in a east european communist country during the cold war days where every one would inform the goverment on each other
Guess you can always go and find out? :eclipsee_

If you do though, let us know

FOR GO: Pacemaker 4490 headers, 2.5" Stainless steel Zorst, K&N panel filter, XR6T Upper Snorkel, F6 lower snorkel, 3" CAI (Thanks Troppo), Generic 98RON tune... 170rwkw :evil3: FOR SHOW: iPod connection, XR6 Scuff plates, XR6 airbox plate, Alloy pedels
boo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the cops had several tip offs about a certain area they would beef up patrols in that area, people don't get arrested because someone called crime stoppers just like you won't get your car impounded from a phone call
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
If the cops had several tip offs about a certain area they would beef up patrols in that area, people don't get arrested because someone called crime stoppers just like you won't get your car impounded from a phone call

Don't be so sure.
Old 20-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
troppo
Mr old phart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yellow
the cops are allowed to talk on mobiles while driving because that part of the law does not apply to them due to fact they are always checking on thing and would be pulling over a million times a day. or so what i have been told by officers
I know it's only what you've been told but I'd be prepared to call BS if that is the case.
1. Talking on a mobile phone whilst driving is outlawed because it is a distraction, regardless of your line of work.
2. One of the main reason why police go 2 up is for one to drive while the second person takes care of comms etc.
3. They have radios to do their checks.
I dare say there are people out there who field far more calls per day than your average officer...if it's good enough that they have to pull over every time, it's good enough for our law enforcement officers.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
I know it's only what you've been told but I'd be prepared to call BS if that is the case.
1. Talking on a mobile phone whilst driving is outlawed because it is a distraction, regardless of your line of work.
2. One of the main reason why police go 2 up is for one to drive while the second person takes care of comms etc.
3. They have radios to do their checks.
I dare say there are people out there who field far more calls per day than your average officer...if it's good enough that they have to pull over every time, it's good enough for our law enforcement officers.
Police do make a lot of phone calls from their cars, for things that are too sensitive to transmit over the radio, or to contact complainants. There are however these nifty new inventions called car kits that make pulling over a thing of the past.
Old 20-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to ring and report every speeding police car I see.

My phone bill might be a bit high though.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wouldn"t be to concerned if anyone does ring up and dob some one in they have to be prepared to take it to court to prove what they say they saw actally happend .. but of course the ticket is issued first as your guilty till proven inocent : Kev and another mate were dobed in for over taking on double lines which neither had it took nearly 12 months of letters and threaths to get it cancelled out so if you are inocent just perseve with it ..on the other hand if your guilty your screwed :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
It even says gathering 'intelligence' in the article. Sure Police may be aware of a certain event via a phone call, may even talk to the owner and see what he/she says. What the driver says will have more impact on the outcome than any phone call.

Part of this will be to let Crimestoppers focus on what they do, not traffic issues. 12% of Crimestoppers time is taken up with traffic offences.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #21
DeansXR8

it's been sort of said already..but why not just ring up and report the local constabulary's cars?
Like in supertroopers.

same sort of scenario, I work for Telstra and have the 1800-dob-me-in number on the back of my car. Telstra take the person who rang in word for it over ours and a then it depends on how gooder mood your boss is in at the time, for dealing out a verbal or written warning.
But in saying that, it seems you have to get people really angry to get them to ring in.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Just saw 7 news and there story on Hoons...What I want to know is when they were introducing the story, why was the pic in the top left hand corner of two fords only??

That stuff really ticks me off...but then again...FORD does stand for Fastest On Road D---- head.
Old 20-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I can't really see this working, what if someone you don't like (a work colleague or someone) really gets on your nerves that day - bingo one phone call and they'll be answering some form of charge?

I think the police would only be able to issue some form of caution to people dobbed in, otherwise can you imagine the crap to deal with - schoolkids going round the school staff carpark and getting all their teacher's plates to dob in, disgruntled employees dobbing in bosses, jealous guy dobbing in a Ferrari or Aston Martin just cos they can't afford one...the list goes on.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yellow

Funny..I was recently told that general duty cops aren't issued with official phones. Can anyone clarify this issue ?

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansXR8
it's been sort of said already..but why not just ring up and report the local constabulary's cars?
Like in supertroopers.

same sort of scenario, I work for Telstra and have the 1800-dob-me-in number on the back of my car. Telstra take the person who rang in word for it over ours and a then it depends on how gooder mood your boss is in at the time, for dealing out a verbal or written warning.
But in saying that, it seems you have to get people really angry to get them to ring in.
Stick a few bird feathers over the number. If nothing else, you'll have the general public wondering how fast you were going in reverse to nail the bird :-)

Steve
Old 20-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Funny..I was recently told that general duty cops aren't issued with official phones. Can anyone clarify this issue ?

Steve
At least some of them have phones in WA. I was under the impression they all did (each car) but can't confirm that.
Old 20-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #27
fangq

Quote:
At least some of them have phones in WA. I was under the impression they all did (each car) but can't confirm that.
Next question..Aren't official matters supposed to be safe over encrypted digital radio?

Steve
Old 20-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hoon hotline does work

geelong was the trial area for it in vic

in our court here we had a really big problem with a woman having a particular visitor and one of the neighbors rang the hoon hot line here

the local boys posted an unmarked car near the house on the nights that the car was doing the wrong thing

needless to say the driver got done for doing burnouts ect ... have not seen the car back since

i think they do follow it up and take all calls seriously

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #29
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I can't really see this working, what if someone you don't like (a work colleague or someone) really gets on your nerves that day - bingo one phone call and they'll be answering some form of charge?

Theyre gathering intelligence. People wont face any penalty simply because someone makes an anonymous phone call.

fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Next question..Aren't official matters supposed to be safe over encrypted digital radio?

Steve
Radio communications in WA are analog and picked up by any scanner / radio hat can pick up the frequency. Scanners are cheap and there's plenty around so if you ever dob someone in make sure you tell the call taker your info is not for broadcast (they will honour the request)