Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Concourse

Ok might be a dumb question but what do they me when they say concourse when they describe a restore job or parts

XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has to be factory or better than the factory condition - all done to the manufactures specifications
Every nut and bolt cleaned, preened and ready to shine
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
Ok might be a dumb question but what do they me when they say concourse when they describe a restore job or parts
I found myself wondering the same question today on the drive home from Muscle Parts. Were you reading their catalogue too?
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
I found myself wondering the same question today on the drive home from Muscle Parts. Were you reading their catalogue too?
thanks for that i was checkin out the parts on the grand tourers web site
XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
The strict definition of "concourse" is identical to how it left the factory..
This topic allways causes major debate at musclecar car shows, because 95% of restored cars are over restored or better than how they were new.
Cars should be judged against a "factory std example".. not marked down compared to perfect.
Ive seen it all too often, a "toffee apple" resto beats a "period correct" resto, when it should be the other way round.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The strict definition of "concourse" is identical to how it left the factory..
This topic allways causes major debate at musclecar car shows, because 95% of restored cars are over restored or better than how they were new.
Cars should be judged against a "factory std example".. not marked down compared to perfect.
Ive seen it all too often, a "toffee apple" resto beats a "period correct" resto, when it should be the other way round.
I'm glad you said that. My old man was going to restore an XK Falcon back to "concourse" condition and he always had in mind trying to get it to how it left the factory. With slightly mis-aligned body panels, not quite perfect paint and other little things not so perfect.

Obviously to him and also me (and you) these cars should probably "win" over an over restored example. I guess it will always come down to the judges at the place.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6UTE
I'm glad you said that. My old man was going to restore an XK Falcon back to "concourse" condition and he always had in mind trying to get it to how it left the factory. With slightly mis-aligned body panels, not quite perfect paint and other little things not so perfect.

Obviously to him and also me (and you) these cars should probably "win" over an over restored example. I guess it will always come down to the judges at the place.

Always comes down to the judges interpretation. If restoring to concourse I would stick with as much NOS parts or good reconditioned parts. No chrome where there shouldnt be!

I would not go as far as bad panel alignment and not perfect paint. It may have come from the factory like that but will just show up as a bad resto, more than being very original!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think he was talking poor pannel alinment more not perfect pannel gaps, theres a difference that many people fail to understand, the factory never had even 1/8' pannel gaps al over but some restorers spend a fortune shaving dwnand building up pannels to make it this way

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post