Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Default modding your car - steping over the line

ok guys seriously, i really cant stand try hard modders.

so i pulled up at the servo 2nite and pulled in behind a BA/F XR6 ute, looked very nice for the few mods it has. as it was pulling out i noticed it had the BF GT strip package down the sides, now personally i think those stripes should be left for the GT's only but each to their own i guess, anyways thats not really my main problem, in the strip package it said GT6!!!!!! :

OMG i was soo annoyed to see this on the side of an XR6. the GT badging should be left for not only GT models but V8's as well.

has anyone else seeen any over the top mods before???

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
no, i think the mods do a great job!

Old 29-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
XPfalcon170

have seen a 99 camry with a big wing, similar in style to the fpv gt's, and with 'gtp' badges on each sides of the wing. This was complemeted by the standard hubcaps, 4x4 ride height, and that toyota factory bodykit that camrys could have optioned, when grandad wants that extra aerodynamic advantage in the bowls carpark. tisk tisk.
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

That isn't exactly over the top mods....more just try hard behaviour.

An over the top mod would be say a veilside style kit on a toyota echo...That's just my opinion though!

But I do agree that putting GT6 on an XR6 is a bit stupid. But each to their own.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Scott

Saw a replica SR the other day which really got me fired up - nothing worse than a GL posing as a GLi though :jab:
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
feebs
BrwnBstd

Have seen a ba xr6 with a GT sign PAINTED onto the boot in a fashion to look like a genuine badge.

But I cannot really talk as I drive a bit of a bitser as well.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

i suppose i could be guilty of badging a car to be what it isn't although i believe it has the goods to back it up.

according to the build plate my car is an eb gl v8. the back panel that surrounds the number plate and houses the badges is off an ed xr8 and reads accordingly. the only thing different between my car and an eb xr8 is the lack of spoiler.

its only the trainspotters and keen ford enthusiasts that can tell its not really an eb xr8 but that doesn't bother me as the mods i've done to the engine will leave any std eb xr8 well and truly in the past.

i'm not keen on over the top mods and 6 cyl with v8 bodykits but if the car has the goods to back up the looks then somehow it seems o.k.

plenty of gt mock ups getting around that would be embarrassed by any late model family sedan. seems to be plenty of v6 clubsports as well.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's an EA/EA/EB falcon here in shepp painted metallic green, with three white doors, and a massive yellow spoiler!
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Is this Post your rice: The descriptive thread?
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been going on for ages, from Lexcen SV to a 323 Clubman GT.

GTR badges on every thing, to Type R stickers on every Honda imaginable.

I wouldnt even call stripes, badges or stickers Modding.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i have seen stock terry TX's with fpv badges on it... mahahaha
Old 29-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
There's an EA/EA/EB falcon here in shepp painted metallic green, with three white doors, and a massive yellow spoiler!
A what jack? haha jokes...
I want to know who owns that car though...they drove through our place one day when just my old man was here...
Best discussed on msn mate.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #13
EL8TED
It all counts

wernt there GT6 marketed from the dealers ?? , there are a few turbo's ive seen. I have GT stripes on my BF XR8 , i think thye compliment most cars , this is like the age old tickford badge saga though !!
Old 29-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
A what jack? haha jokes...
I want to know who owns that car though...they drove through our place one day when just my old man was here...
Best discussed on msn mate.
They all look the same to me!
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #15
Gaz
Got Ghia?

nothing wrong with the stripes on an xr, just as long as you don't throw the GT etc badging on it.

Hell the dealers will fit them for you if you ask.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Theres a distinct lack of good aftermarket mods for Fords lately. im not talking extreme body kits, just stylistic changes that look decent and dont cost as much as a bentley. Those stripe packages and lights are about the only options apart from DIY angle-grinder inc. and some unmentionably crap mods. tuff-tank *cough*
Old 30-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

My pet peeve which will arguably upset some people here are the fairlanes that have an LTD grille put on them, as well as all the other passing off that is done to upgrade a fairlane. This was rife back in the NC days, and fortunately is less common now. The chrome mirror scalps on everything from a BA upwards is a bit of a joke as well, they came originally on the BA2 LWB and then the Force 6 and 8, now I see them on AU's and BA's of every description. Still, each to his own.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Some of you guys need a life. Surely there is more important things to get worked up over.
Old 30-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i think i am on the wrong forum - i may need to join the "tragically disfigured vehicles forum". my na has the ltd moulding at the back (before i got it, but it was probably broken and the wreckers only had an ltd, not fairlane one). my wife's 121 had a flash down both sides of hers, but luckily it was involved in an accident many years ago so only one side has it now.
and my coupe has an ltd flip type boot lock surround and an gt badge on the grille. both have their meanings but i doubt many on this thread could understand about modifying a car to your personal taste. oh yeah, a landau dash is in it as well.
looks like i am damned for all eternity
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Ive got a GT badge on the front of my '67 XR, so that makes me a culprit.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Ive got a GT badge on the front of my '67 XR, so that makes me a culprit.
How dare you! The Ford Forum thought police will come down on you like a ton of bricks for that one :-)
Old 30-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #22
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Gt badge on my xb coupe :-). So im also a culprit. This has been going on for years and will continue forever. I dont think its "over the top". Everyone has there own opinion and there own sense of style.

But in saying that putting a cannon on a EB XR8 which i saw yesterday is just wrong!
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #23
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I must be realy guilty. my 302 cleveland has 351 rocker covers on it ! :

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #24
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPfalcon170
have seen a 99 camry with a big wing, similar in style to the fpv gt's, and with 'gtp' badges on each sides of the wing. This was complemeted by the standard hubcaps, 4x4 ride height, and that toyota factory bodykit that camrys could have optioned, when grandad wants that extra aerodynamic advantage in the bowls carpark. tisk tisk.
There was a gtp camry from factory a few years ago.
Old 30-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
ok guys seriously, i really cant stand try hard modders.

so i pulled up at the servo 2nite and pulled in behind a BA/F XR6 ute, looked very nice for the few mods it has. as it was pulling out i noticed it had the BF GT strip package down the sides, now personally i think those stripes should be left for the GT's only but each to their own i guess, anyways thats not really my main problem, in the strip package it said GT6!!!!!! :

OMG i was soo annoyed to see this on the side of an XR6. the GT badging should be left for not only GT models but V8's as well.

You must set your standards pretty low if you think that's over the top.

How would you feel about XR badges on a Territory? Sounds like that would make you almost murderous.

Or what about taking a perfectly good T3 and building up a $50k non-T3 motor & supercharging it?

Or even taking a pov pack XY and making it look like a HO? On no, it's the end of the world.

Get over it I say - people will do to their cars what they will.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #26
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i just realised something - my user name must be changed. there were no gt fairmonts - what was i thinking.
please forgive me
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i just realised something - my user name must be changed. there were no gt fairmonts - what was i thinking.
please forgive me
Mine too then, because although JC may (or not) be my initials, I am not THAT JC, and wouldn't want anyone thinking I was trying to be something I am not, just because of a label!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Geez mate, Just because you dont like it, dosent make it wrong.
Some people think any black rims are wannabe drift cars, others dont like clear indicators on early E-series..
My XD has E-series 16's on it, Most dont like it, but others like it.. I dont care, I like them and they're staying until i find something that I like better...

Visual mods are about being unique, And obviously they made you pay attention. So it works..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
according to the build plate my car is an eb gl v8. the back panel that surrounds the number plate and houses the badges is off an ed xr8 and reads accordingly. the only thing different between my car and an eb xr8 is the lack of spoiler.
So, as far you're concerned, the only thing Tickford added to their models were badges then?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPfalcon170
As mentioned they did have a factory GTP. Not to mention having the GTP moniker long before it was ever seen on a BA.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post