Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Default Old v's New GT

Ok this has probably been done to death but I wasn't listening....

I'm selling and old school GT (XW) and am thinking of perhaps picking up a new GT. My question is whether the new versions give you a real kick in the backside when you drive them. I'm thinking manual.
The only frame of reference I have is a mates BA V8 Fairmont auto with big pipes that made a lot of noise and went well.....Well, that's what the guages said! There just seemed to be a lack of "throw you back in seat" about it until it hit about 3500rpm. It's an very nice car just missing the drama of the old school ride!
Thanks in advance.

Old 17-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wait for the new Model thats coming out in a few months time, it will perform better then the current one no doubt.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
WASP
Whipple Induced

What type of spec XW GT do you have? It would be a shame to sell it even for a new GT. The modern ones are more refined which tends to take some of the drama out of the V8 experience plus the newer engines tend to produce their best torque further up the rev range. My modern day GT provides that 'drama' rush among other things you are after but it's highly modified.
Old 18-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

If you're gonna get a new performance Falcon, get an FPV F6 Typhoon. It's the car the GT wishes it was.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
If you're gonna get a new performance Falcon, get an FPV F6 Typhoon. It's the car the GT wishes it was.
Not everyone likes the sound of vacuum cleaner.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the F6 doesnt have muhc of that whooooshhhhh sound though..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THe F6 is not, nor will it ever be a GT
F6 is a quick civilized car
Miss that V8 noise tho
Old 18-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Unless the BA/F is modified it will never have that old school grunt. Because the power dosen't come in to later. I've run a fairly stock clevo with healthy compression and a cam that makes power to 5500rpm and it seem to be able to pull away from my mates GT-P which is totally standard. But I still don't know why you'd want to get rid of an XWGT to go to a new GT. :
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take both GT and F6 for a test drive then jump into your GT and see how they all compare to one another.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
XR6 Hulk

The NEw GT probably has 50% more power than the old GT,and is quicker too. What are people going on about.

the old GT is a collectible car but you cant compare performance to the new GT. Its not in the same universe. But its rare and collectible and in 10 years time, the old GT probably still worth more than a 2008 GT.
XR6 Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Hulk
The NEw GT probably has 50% more power than the old GT,and is quicker too. What are people going on about.
True, the new GT's have more power than the old school GT's, but they are also a fair bit heavier too.
And then there is the feel from the drivers seat. Old School GT's feel faster, because they are noiser (great noise it is too), they are rough, they are far from refined like the BA / BF Gt's are.
End of the day its not just about how fast it goes from A to B, its how it feels, does it feel like a muscle car, or a boulevard cruiser
Old 18-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
jcxr
Tribal Elder

You will really miss the brakes,lousy handling, uncomfortable seats, poor economy, arrrrrr the good old days
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
You will really miss the brakes,lousy handling, uncomfortable seats, poor economy, arrrrrr the good old days

Funny that.........

I sold my 1982 XE ESP 351 about a year ago and put my bum into a new BFGT.

I very much miss tinkering with the old car every weekend. The smell , the creaks, the look and feel of the whole package. The brakes were very bad and always had you on edge. It is all these characteristics which had you so much more involved in the driving of the car.............I'm not saying that's its a positive.............it's just that I felt so much more in tune with the older car...........listening to every bit of lifter noise, constantly looking at the temp gauge, worried about the brakes at speed.........etc etc.

The old car was heavily modified so it was on a performance edge and was a very quick point to point street car............very tough, angry and loud.

The new GT is a beautiful car to drive. It aint as nimble point to point because it is some 300Kg heavier, but it is a much better car all round......EASY. The TOP END rush of the BOSS is awesome and something even the modified CLEVO couldn't match. The driving experience is very clinical and almosr perferct with no creaks , no groans, no mechanical thrashing of reciprocating parts and the BREMBO brakes give F1 eyes out of the socket deceleration capabilities.

I still get the thumbs up from heaps of onlookers and the occasional pompous stare from the CAMRY drivers...........

You'll be happy with the new GT........NO DOUBT......the performance enhancements available now for the BOSS leave the OLD school CLEVO in the dust for "all round driveability".........You can have a 12 - 13 second street car that you can idle in traffic for hours with the air con spinning or you can have a lethal track weapon at your disposal whenever you feel.........we finally have a choice..........Jeckyl or Hyde all in one..........you decide.

Life in the new GT is still good...........but like an old friend.........I miss the old ESP.

I wish I could have both.............You will too if you sell up.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Too true.
But back in those days you had to have a certain amount of skill to drive them

Insufficient rear demisters or lack of, no intermittent wipers...........................
Ahhhhh memories!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
FTE19
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud

I'm selling and old school GT (XW) and am thinking of perhaps picking up a new GT. My question is whether the new versions give you a real kick in the backside when you drive them. I'm thinking manual.
The only frame of reference I have is a mates BA V8 Fairmont auto with big pipes that made a lot of noise and went well.....Well, that's what the guages said! There just seemed to be a lack of "throw you back in seat" about it until it hit about 3500rpm. It's an very nice car just missing the drama of the old school ride!
Thanks in advance.

Take one for a drive and also find a AU111 T series (5.6 stroker) and then make your choise after driving both , the T series still gives you the kick in the bum and has a rawness about itself also .
Old 18-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

only sell the old gt if you have had enough of looking after her and really need the cash . they dont compare at all the modern power thing has already been done .my old girl will never be sold . if you can buy the new 1 they are an awesome ride but dont compare its like compareing the missus to the girls in the mags you think it but dont say it ? 1 you can love forever, 1 might be a short love, and you will never get the old love back.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud

Thanks in advance.
It depends what you'll do with it, daily driver or weekend toy? Keep the XWGT id say! although if you sell it you could probably buy a new BFGT new F6 and a T3 with what you'll get for it!!

Old 18-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Well said !!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
metalmania

Very hard choice knowing how much you could get for the XW GT. Like 4V man said you could probably buy those cars and have change left over.I have owned my XA GT for 23 years and if i ever sold it, i take the view that i will take the money and get out of that scene (old school Gts).
If you are seriously contemplating selling your GT , that is a very hard choice . Will the values go up ? , Will they go down ? Should i take the money now or wait and see if they go up ? Your choice but for most of us i would say once they are gone that is it , you prabaly won't buy another again.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Thats so true. I have an XBGT and I wouldn't sell it for anything. I like the new GTs and love to have one but can only afford a BA XR6 as a family car and its a nice car but it's no GT-P. But in saying that I would never buy a GT-P or a F6 if it ment getting rid of the hardtop. Like old mate said you will never be able to get another or have to pay an arm and a leg to get another and it proberly won't be as good as the one you already got. Put it this way when you drive down the street how many other XWGTs do you run into, and how many Bseries GTs do you see. :
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #21
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Keep the XW. Most people who sell that kind of car regret selling it! Isay spend some money on the XW and get something for everyday use!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

XW will only go up in value, also has more character. New GT will only go down in value, until perhaps after many years if you keep it, it may go back up.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post