Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Default Too many stripes

Does anyone beautify XWs and XYs without turning them into 'fakers' anymore?

I'm not picking on anybody here, so sit back down and take a pill.

I love a really sweet XR/XT/XW/XY (not to mention XA/XB), but they don't ALL have to have frigging GT dress-ups to be nice. Some of you guys are putting together some truly sweet rides, but try just doing a nice Falcon instead of following the frigging flock.

Back in the 80s the guys in my club (was a proud member of the A.C.T Street Machine Association Inc. for a lot of years) had stuff like XY GS Falcons, and HQ SS Monaros that were absolutely frigging delicious.

These are models that have seemingly been forgotten, and even doing up a look-a-like some of you guys should try being different.

Screw the resale value BS.....I remember when we built cars for ourselves to enjoy because it's what we wanted to drive and be seen in....not because we wanted to make sure it would resell at top dollar.

The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

There are more GS striped XW/XY/XA/XBs out there then ever before IMO. I know what you mean though about the GT mockups.

Best looking XY in my opinion is a plain white one with a shaker, the chrome bumpers shining in the sun.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chicks like the stripes man
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
chicks like the stripes man
do ya's?

So you would build a car that the chicks would love, instead of what you would?

O/T but damn you come out with some crap....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Yeah I agree, way too many mock up GT s going around, I saw a fully original Falcon 500 the other day, in mint condition, looked great.
Old 14-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Stripe delete GT anyone? About 10 or 11 years ago I seriously considered buying a Grecian Gold XW GT which was stripe and bonnet blackout deleted from the factory. The only external sign of it being a GT was the bootlid blackout and badging on the bootlid and front guards. I'd love to know where that car is now and whether the owner resisted the temptation to stripe it.

I agree, they don't need stripes to be a really sweet ride.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
JD86
DELANY

i also agree, too many mock ups with stripes, just make it a nice whatever model it is, no need to mock it up
Old 14-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

There are alot more coming out without the mock up treatment now than in years gone past IMO,they are finally starting to get appreciated for what they are.

A faker I know of went back to its original GS trim lately,
the prices payed for a nice original car whatever it is may have something to do with it.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im with you on this Quasi

I love the XR-XY series, and I love GTs and GTHOs, but im sick of every XR-Y being a GT clone. Ho hum another HO clone.

Similarly does every LH-LJ torry have to be a GTR XU1 and does every Lx have to be a A9x or SLR5000.

I love a bit of originality.

I went to a classic mustang car show a couple of years back. There were all tehse pristine lovely mustangs all drool worthy. but he one that got the msot attention was the one that wasa fully customised NOT to look likea factory/shelby special. It was really nice and UNIQUE.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, nothing nicer than a great back to original resto be it Falcon 500, Fairmont or Fairmont GS.. Very classy.
Im sick of seeing shakers fitted to everything bar genuine XYGT's too...

Old 14-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well it's probably because off presure, I'm sorry but the reason I believe most people go the replica direction is because people don't care about Falc 500's, they only care about what was once famous and known, think about it for a moment, everybody talk's GT, GT this and GT that, I have never owned a GT let alone sat in one, but I have been an enthusist since I was young, most people were, but I only own a Falc 500 and a wagon at that, people turn their nose up at you, I'm affriad to say that it is the people in the club's that are the worst, they seem to think that you are a second rate citizen just because you own a Falc 500, not a genuine GT like them, they won't even talk to you when you need assistance, and they wonder why club's are dwindling with number's, I have made some really good friend's that were once involved with the club scene but they to are sick to death off the attitude, and don't have much contact anymore, let's face it when it comes to show's like the all ford day, and you see a nice Falc 500, and let's say it is a wagon for instance, and over the row you have all these GT falc's, which ones do you believe would get all the attention. and here I was thinking that GT people were car enthuists, not many off them are, they are GT enthuists.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Well it's probably because off presure, I'm sorry but the reason I believe most people go the replica direction is because people don't care about Falc 500's, they only care about what was once famous and known, think about it for a moment, everybody talk's GT, GT this and GT that, I have never owned a GT let alone sat in one, but I have been an enthusist since I was young, most people were, but I only own a Falc 500 and a wagon at that, people turn their nose up at you, I'm affriad to say that it is the people in the club's that are the worst, they seem to think that you are a second rate citizen just because you own a Falc 500, not a genuine GT like them, they won't even talk to you when you need assistance, and they wonder why club's are dwindling with number's, I have made some really good friend's that were once involved with the club scene but they to are sick to death off the attitude, and don't have much contact anymore, let's face it when it comes to show's like the all ford day, and you see a nice Falc 500, and let's say it is a wagon for instance, and over the row you have all these GT falc's, which ones do you believe would get all the attention. and here I was thinking that GT people were car enthuists, not many off them are, they are GT enthuists.
I guess it comes down to why you're building the car.. to please yourself or please everyone else...

Old 14-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Lets put it another way, let's analyse as if it were bassed on todays vehicles', how many people would look at and envi a standard but very nice looking BF XT comparred to a FPV GT/P, not many I can tell you now, and people wonder why replica's are everywhere.
Old 14-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I've love to restore an XY Fairmont in the same blue my grandfather had, it was the first car I was allowed to 'steer' as a kid, I loved those trips from Newcastle to Cessnock to see my great-grandparents where I got to do that. I'd have to find the scotch whiskey that came with a pair of scottish terriers on a string, one white, one black, that he hung on the dash to make it complete though.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
tolzero

We are not talking about modern day cars, if we were I would be impressed by getting in a taxi and going home, XR - XY are a lot thinner on the ground than BA-BF.
an to the owner of the falc 500, when you do have enthusiasts come over and want to chat about your pride and joy, wouldn't you rather have a better type of conversation than wasting your energy all day defending your clone
This is the same ol argument just a different smell to the "why do people have a plain ol BA -BF XT or XR and plaster it with FPV stickers

FAKES are FAKES
tolzero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I guess it comes down to why you're building the car.. to please yourself or please everyone else...

Thank-you someone understands!....

I built my car for me to be driven by me.. I have only taken the car to 3 shows since i got it on the road (2003)... Mainly to get to know other people from the forum. I am not big on showing off my car (because it was built to be enjoyed by me and no-one else)...

Personally i dont care much for whichever styling an owner chooses... Next time you guys look at a car, maybe you should look more closely at the workmanship of the car in general.. I just spent over 3 weeks trying to get the gap on my drivers door consistent with the rest of the car...

I respect all cars but its those that have had the time spent on the overall workmanship that stand out to me....

My 2 cents for what its worth
Old 14-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lets put it another way, let's analyse as if it were bassed on todays vehicles', how many people would look at and envi a standard but very nice looking BF XT comparred to a FPV GT/P, not many I can tell you now, and people wonder why replica's are everywhere.
As i asked earlier: I guess it comes down to why you're building the car.. to please yourself or please everyone else...

Sounds like for you its more important to impress others than just yourself? and there's nothing wrong with that by the way.

Old 14-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I understand where both galaxy XR8 and tolzero are coming from and 4V man makes a very good point too.

I personally couldn't stand owning a GT replica because I know its a replica, it's trying to be something it's not, irrespectiive if it's actually better than the real thing. But thats me and I can't speak to other people tastes.

But TZENU's made the most important comment IMO. It's the quality of workmanship that has gone into the car that is the important thing to be admired, no matter what make or model the car is or is trying to be.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
As i asked earlier: I guess it comes down to why you're building the car.. to please yourself or please everyone else...

Sounds like for you its more important to impress others than just yourself? and there's nothing wrong with that by the way.
And how did you come to that conclusion???, do I own a replica, am I trying to impress everyone by following the trend with a replica??, I have stated all along that I own a Falc 500, I fail to see how I am trying to impress everyone, like you assume,
I stand by my previous quote,
and here I was thinking that GT people were car enthuists, not many off them are, they are GT enthuists.
Old 14-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And how did you come to that conclusion???, do I own a replica, am I trying to impress everyone by following the trend with a replica??, I have stated all along that I own a Falc 500, I fail to see how I am trying to impress everyone, like you assume,
I stand by my previous quote,
and here I was thinking that GT people were car enthuists, not many off them are, they are GT enthuists.
I came to that conclussion by reading your post!!
I can appreciate any well restore car, especially when its returned to original spec.. the fact that i and many others "prefer" GT's is neither here nor there, its just personal preference, which everyone is entitled to... dont begrudge those who have a preference that differs to what you own.
I dont allow other peoples preferences to sway my opinion though, if you've got a Falcon 500 and love it then restore it to its original condition, forget what others think or prefer.

Old 14-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I can appreciate any well restore car, especially when its returned to original spec.. the fact that i and many others "prefer" GT's is neither here nor there, its just personal preference, which everyone is entitled to... dont begrudge those who have a preference that differs to what you own.
I dont allow other peoples preferences to sway my opinion though, if you've got a Falcon 500 and love it then restore it to its original condition, forget what others think or prefer.
I still fail to see exactly how you think it is more important for me to impress other's when by reading my post's I've explained "why" I believe there are so many replica's around these days, and that is the owner's personal taste as to what they do with their vehicle, this thread started by asking the question, why is there so many replica's, I said what I believe, it sound's to me that you are a little put out by my comment on GT enthuists being GT enthuists not car enthusit's.
Old 14-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Agreed 100%,
first do it for yourself,if others like it all well and good,if they dont so be it,at least you have something YOU want.
I do understand galaxy xr8's point though,and have seen some types belitlle a car because of this or that (and quite loudly in the owners earshot I may add)

I prefer a highly modified car built for a certain purpose,and have seen the purist type at shows make derogatory remarks about such cars,you know the thing,what a butchery of a good car etc,so there is the blinkered type out there,and in the GT scene more than others.

I for one am not a fan of factory spec resto cars at all,be it a GT or 500,and dont like the whole repro factory sticker in the perfect place bla bla deal,although I can appreciate a fine unrestored car..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
And If I could do it all over again, and build a car to please everyone else like you seem to think I would, I personally wouldn't build a XW Falc 500 wagon,
I would build a replica GT like most other's have and would if they were to impress,
The reason I have my wagon is more sentimentle to me, it is something that my father and I restored togehter a long time ago, it was my 1st vehicle and I dare say it will probably be with me to the end, how is that trying to impress people.
Old 14-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
To be perfectly honest....A BA/BF XT with big rims and rubber and the appropriate ride height will get my attention very easily. I can tell you something else, when I'm at a show I spend less time these days ogling a GT, or clone, than I use to.

I'll still comment how nice it is (regardless of model), but am more likely to simply keep moving until I find something that isn't shoved in my face everytime I open a magazine, or hit the online forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Thank-you someone understands!....

I built my car for me to be driven by me.. I have only taken the car to 3 shows since i got it on the road (2003)... Mainly to get to know other people from the forum. I am not big on showing off my car (because it was built to be enjoyed by me and no-one else)...

Personally i dont care much for whichever styling an owner chooses... Next time you guys look at a car, maybe you should look more closely at the workmanship of the car in general.. I just spent over 3 weeks trying to get the gap on my drivers door consistent with the rest of the car...

I respect all cars but its those that have had the time spent on the overall workmanship that stand out to me....

My 2 cents for what its worth
Mate, I'm not bagging you...I made that clear in my original post. As a matter of fact I was looking over the pics on your website not long before creating this thread, but in between I think I read 2 or 3 other threads/posts pertaining to striping an XY to make it a GT.....and that set me off.

I love what you have done. In fact I'm not saying I don't like GT clones...I just don't see why every second XW/XY has to be one.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 14-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #25
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is the same ol argument just a different smell to the "why do people have a plain ol BA -BF XT or XR and plaster it with FPV stickers

FAKES are FAKES
This is why I kept the black side strip on my ute and did not replace it with the red XR ones and you wont find any tickford wings on it either, it may look like an XR, but it aint powererd by one.

Back to stripes..Yes its getting way out of controll. Even Mitsubishi 380's have the GT side stripes now! Give me a break.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #26
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quasi, i understand..

I just thought i'd add that with the prices of the genuine ones way out of reach from the majority of us, unfortunately the next best thing to the real m'coy is to replicate one. (Price difference is, as im sure everyone is aware is astronimical; the avg price of a nice rep with all the bits and pieces can fetch approx 50k... A genuine one (desirable combo) 300 + ... A gap of approx 250k.. (thats a bloody house!!!!))

Having said that i have been granted permission and will be in the market to buy a XY GS by the end of next year. Which will remain as per factory! So i too like the factory cars out there and believe that they are just as good if not better than most of the replica's out there.
Old 14-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #27
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'd like to see more XR-XB's built away from the faker trend. But while I have no immediate desire to own a faker, but I can understand why people do. Supply and demand. Most of us will never afford a genuine GT, yet people will still want to own one. Obvious solution to them is to build a faker. Plus the sometimes ridiculous money people want for a faker these days, they're almost becoming an investment in themselves. And the few XY's I've seen built usually have the shaker, driving lights, fuel cap, bonnet pins and trim anyway.They're only a couple stripes away from a faker!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #28
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people need a box of tissues IMO.

Not everyone has 100k spare cash in their pocket to blow on a genuine GT, and I know if I was stretching the budget, i'd rather spend the money on a mock up and actually drive the thing, not worrying about getting a dent in a 100k piece of metal.

I'm sick of seeing XY's in general, I don't even think they're a good looking car anymore (the occasional one does strike me as good looking, but most are boring IMO), and though i'd like to see less 'fakers' and people with more originality, it goes the same way with people who are stuck on a 351c+C4/toploader driveline combo as the only thing worth running etc etc which is boring to me also.

I build cars for what I want, the amount of times i've had people say "oh you should do this or that, that's the way to go" is ridiculous, and if i'd listened to them I wouldn't be building MY car. I think others should do the same.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #29
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I also agree. If I had a non GT I would keep it 1 nice colour like metallic blue or black and let the chrome / rims / quality / DECIBELS do the rest. Most of the time I actually prefer them like that anyway.