Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Default muscle car prices are falling

hello people this is my first post so if its all wrong please dont hurt me, : any way i reckon muscle car prices are falling if you look around you can see old school gt falcons droping in price iv also spoken to a few others who have noticed this too ,it may be the Rudd factor or xmas but a definit falling in a lot of cases

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant wait till i can get a phase 3 for less than $100,000 again
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well I'm sure all the people who grew up around these cars are starting to drop off.

I wonder how much "classic" cars from the 20's and 30's are worth now since the people who grew up around them are pretty much dead.

I wonder if 80's era cars like XE ESP and HDT Commodores are going to go up in value as generation X strats hitting retirement/mid-life crisis soon.

And then who knows 20 years time a TE50, Typhoon etc are guna be worth sumthing
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Casablanca
carburettor

dunno mate its end of the year they always drop then, then theyll bring out new model in new year and surprise the prices rise again, its just clear out time for dealerships.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
hello people this is my first post so if its all wrong please dont hurt me, : any way i reckon muscle car prices are falling if you look around you can see old school gt falcons droping in price iv also spoken to a few others who have noticed this too ,it may be the Rudd factor or xmas but a definit falling in a lot of cases
I reckon it is definately kevin rudds fault................
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Well I'm sure all the people who grew up around these cars are starting to drop off.

I wonder how much "classic" cars from the 20's and 30's are worth now since the people who grew up around them are pretty much dead.

I wonder if 80's era cars like XE ESP and HDT Commodores are going to go up in value as generation X strats hitting retirement/mid-life crisis soon.

And then who knows 20 years time a TE50, Typhoon etc are guna be worth sumthing
The reason the 1967 to 1976 Classic musclecars (GT's/GTHO's etc) are worth so much is because of their Bathurst/motorracing herritage.. The car company's built these cars to race and win, they pioneered the era, that's why they're worth so much to so many people.
Unless its got racing history and a connection they're in a different class IMO and no where near as collectable....

Old 13-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Bullsh^t they are dropping. Im like a hawk everyday looking for something decent, If anything there are more dreamers out there.
Old 13-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Bullsh^t they are dropping. Im like a hawk everyday looking for something decent, If anything there are more dreamers out there.
Ive said it a million times, Quality cars sell for big $$, there are allot of cars forsale, it doesnt mean they're all in a condition to attract top dollar though.
The good ones still sell for good money.

Old 13-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
hello people this is my first post so if its all wrong please dont hurt me,
WOW! First post at 7:55AM and 42 posts five hours later....not holding back mate are you?

Yes, hopefully the crazy state of Aussie muscle car prices will change soon.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Realistically i cannot see the prices of these cars comming into reach of the average joe anymore... Sure the prices will fluctuate but they will do so on the high end of the scale...
Old 13-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive said it a million times, Quality cars sell for big $$, there are allot of cars forsale, it doesnt mean they're all in a condition to attract top dollar though.
The good ones still sell for good money.
Agreed, but it's what people see in them, I don't think people pay 500K+ for invesment sake, or I could be totally wrong!!! :
Old 13-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the price of the HOs will go down a little. 1 million I don't believe is truly indicative of its value.

I think all those TT and ACA "scoops" shriveled some frontal lobes and people paid big bucks even for rust-bucket rollers.

But the good cars, due to scarcity are still worth good money.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
JD86
DELANY

i hope the prices come down but havnt noticed it

i dont think a phase 3 will ever be under 100K ever again

even people my age (21) appreciate them for what they are so just because the people who grew up around them might not be around much longer, these cars are still very saught after
Old 13-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont see the prices coming down anytime soon but there are alot of over zealous people trying to sell their cars for a ridicolous price, for example a VS GTSR for 80k+.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

prices are levelling out and the guys that want and pay top dollar have got their quota s ,prices will settle down as demand isnt as desired .Good cars will still get good money and always will but most of the eagerness has settled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
GTP290

in 97 i bought a mint xygt replica, with geniune parts(except engine) i paid 15000 dollars for
it back then, and in 2001 i had to sell it, i sold it for 14000 dollars, after putting a new front end(suspension)
now i think a decent replica with geniune ford parts(eg shaker, dash, wheels, mirrors etc) would be worth atleast 40000 if not more. musclecars are like real estate, theyrise then they peak, then rise again, then peak. i dare say my current car,(ba gtp)
will be worth a lot more in 10 years time than what i paid for it now, if its low kms and
in showrrom condition.
the only thing that worries me is the price and availability of unleaded fuel, but then again i just read that scientists predict the northern ice polar cap will be completely gone within 7 years so theres a lot more to worry about than the price of fuel in ten years time i guess!
GTP290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Whys it always have to be about Phase 3's? 99% of us here will never be able to get one, so why go on about them so much? Id be happy to find a nice V8 XR, not some car that costs $600 000 that works exactly the same as a $20 000 variant. I cant even find a nice 6cyl XR without 12 buckets of rust in it for some ridiculous price.
Old 13-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Most of us will never have the dollars to own a piece of Aussie motoring history like that, and to honest that's fine by me.....I've been in love with these cars since they were released new, and don't feel I have to own one to feel that way.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Nappa
Impressive...

now it seems more and more people are trying to cash in with the new limited FPV's
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-cars...9%204294966238
Old 13-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #20
Sprint347
Tickford

I think prices will drop as the market normalises.

Real rarities like the RPO83, HO's will always be strong in value... but the market for tagless/rough/replica cars will die back, especially as interest rates rise and wonderful things like Kyoto come into effect
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prices wont drop, they may level out because the market has settled and the hysteria has dropped off for the moment, that's all.

Old 13-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #22
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp 2003
musclecars are like real estate, they rise then they peak, then rise again, then peak.
Your right about this and at the moment muscle car prices are at a steady rate but it will take of again soon.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #23
Scott

The top end has flattened it seems but the mid-price is alive and kicking. A Black & Manual VC Brock just had bids of ~$130k on it. It seems the stupid prices being asked for on HK/T/G Monaro's, XA/B/C Coupes which come with plenty of rust, no tags, wrong engines and missing bits have settled back down a bit too.

The top end of the game is just that sometimes, a game. What a car is worth or has sold for is sometimes just a story created by the buyers trying to inflate their investment.

Give it a little while and the top end will waiver - only those with the deepest pockets will weather the storm.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #24
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Musclecars arnt like Property !!!!!!! Ever tried to get $600 000 for a car of the bank ????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #25
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, there's more old cars on he road now then there ever was, people are starting to find them in old barns and sheds and snatching them up. So, there are more around, but I haven't really noticed a big drop in prices.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #26
Director

It really depends on the car. The Brock cars have definately slowed down with the exception of the Grp A's/plus packs/and the VC. It seems the Group 3's are steady but rising. I have noticed the good unmodified cars still selling but the modded up ones seem to sit. I cant tell with the Fords, obviously the GT's have steadied esp the phase 3. The XB seems to be dropping but the XA rising? who knows but hopefully I can get mt hand on a good XA/XB/XC soon before the prices rise again (maybe!!)

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #27
ayeyew
Teh Baest

I dunno..

My mates VC Brocky was at a mechanic a month or so ago and some random dude offered him 150k.

He said nope

It's not the best looking car either and it goes like a toilet on wheels.

Sounds like a beast tho.. He's nearly thru restoring it, but he's prolly spent a good 50k on it i rkn

Wouldn't think someone would be willing to pay $150,000 for a moving toilet

Actually, i cant remember if it was 100k or 150k

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #28
GTP290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
Musclecars arnt like Property !!!!!!! Ever tried to get $600 000 for a car of the bank ????????
its all relative to your income and assets, you could get a mortgage for 600000 dllars on car if you earn enough
Old 14-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #29
GTP290

whatever the case i remember valiant e38s selling for 5000 dollars in 97 in a car yard, i also recall a geniune xa gt in a car yard for 8000 dollars in 97 and remember test driving a geniune xa gt in need of minor resto and knocked it back for the sum of 6000 dollars in 2001!! just remembered back in 1990 putting a 20 dollar deposit on a hk 186s gts monaro, it was going to get it for a 1000 bucks and the jerk sold it on me! ah if only we knew
then what we know now about the prices of muscle cars!
Old 14-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I reckon its simply a case of no one wanting to pay ridiculous prices anymore, the days of buying an investment GTHO are over, if you pay 600k + for one its unlikely you'll make much money on it in the future as most, or all of the appreciation has already been done. People must be realising that paying that much for one means you will stuggle to make money on it if you sold it, so the demand is dropping off, judging by the number of them being turned in at auctions recently.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post