Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Francis

Default The 5.6 Windsor or the Boss 260 for your BF??

So what would be the better engine if you could chosse one for your BF.

The 5.6 Windsor or the Boss 260?

Was the 5.6 prone to any issues like the timing chain adjusters in the Boss?

What feels better to drive?

Most of all, the bigest issue to be spoken of, what sounds better?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Hmmm 47 people have viewed this thread so far and not one comment to start an argument. So much self restraint here today. Not like AFF at all really.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which 5.6L are you referring to? The factory 342 or the 347 stroker kit?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I'll start it.

Seeing as I have never driven a BOSS only read it about it in magazines I can say without a doubt that WINSDORS RULE AND THE BOSS SUCKS.

My old 68 Fairmont 302 would kill a BOSS GT lol
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

For me the 260 is better.

They are a proven performer in that weight of a car,and have the runs on the board when modded with a tune and a couple of bolt ons..
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Well, if you are going to ruin a BF by ripping out the Boss and replacing it with anything that isn't a Boss, why does it have to be a stroker windsor?

Gen3, 20b, RB30, Clevo, Hemi??

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

....or maybe a Toyota Prius hybrid motor with a modified inlet running quad Predators on top of an 8/71 blower 100% overdriven, 4" stacks through the bonnet with a front wheel drive conversion and Hoosier slicks up front. i reckon that'd sound better than a Boss or a windsor any day
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I'll start it.

Seeing as I have never driven a BOSS only read it about it in magazines I can say without a doubt that WINSDORS RULE AND THE BOSS SUCKS.

My old 68 Fairmont 302 would kill a BOSS GT lol
Willing to put your money where your mouth is, i am.

No doubt the old 5.6L was a tough engine, stock for stock there isn't much between the 2. Iv'e seen a couple of dyno sheet's posted and power was nearly identical down low then by about 3,ooorpm the boss just keep building where the T3 tapered off. With a few bolt on mods the GT is a far better engine, just an exhaust cai & tune will net well over 25orwkw.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
t2te50
Banned

BA -BF's out in force at heathcote last week, my bro's ford telstar (2.0l) rumbles harder.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
BA -BF's out in force at heathcote last week, my bro's ford telstar (2.0l) rumbles harder.
And here we go.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Clown,do you actually believe your dribble.
Have you ever thought about what an AU windsor would run in a boss?
Put 300 odd kg in your boot and try it out...

There are programs on the net that will do it also,what time have you run??
Old 07-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Willing to put your money where your mouth is, i am.

No doubt the old 5.6L was a tough engine, stock for stock there isn't much between the 2. Iv'e seen a couple of dyno sheet's posted and power was nearly identical down low then by about 3,ooorpm the boss just keep building where the T3 tapered off. With a few bolt on mods the GT is a far better engine, just an exhaust cai & tune will net well over 25orwkw.
He was comparing the Boss260 and 5.6 not the Boss290. But I bet yours gets up and boogies : Nice things blowers.

I've never driven either so I reckon the 3V rules....

I imagine it's horses for courses. I would imagine the 5.6 is a gruntier engine down low but runs out of puff up high vs the Boss having crap (relatively speaking) power down low but having all the goodies up high. Do you like a hard reving frenetic V8 or a low down torquey cruiser?

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis
So what would be the better engine if you could chosse one for your BF.

The 5.6 Windsor or the Boss 260?

Was the 5.6 prone to any issues like the timing chain adjusters in the Boss?

What feels better to drive?

Most of all, the bigest issue to be spoken of, what sounds better?
You do realise "Holy wars" have erupted for lesser questions and statements....

Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

windsors have better sound and look better in the engine bay
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd agree with fairlane_ghia. If you are going to go through all that trouble....hit it with something BIG. A COME 427ci crate motor will only set you back about $16k

On a more serious note (and to answer your question)....

What drives better?

The Windsor 5.6L is a dinosaur engine. Rough and powerful. It shakes at idle and rumbles at high revs. Just how a V8 should be IMHO, but others will think different. It has a really nice torque curve, where 80% of peak torque is available from 2000RPM. This gives realy good drivability on the streets. If you look at one of the threads I started under the T Series Appreciation room, there are some stats on in gear performance. From memory 3rd gear 40km-70kms is 3.1sec...on a manual this is pulling from ~1500RPM. I've tried it on my T3 and was registering 3.3sec...so its roughly accurate.

Not sure if anyone has similar stats for a BOSS.

The BOSS is a good motor, but in stock form, lacks V8 low RPM grunt. BUT, it does wake up with a few mods i.e. edit, exhaust, intake, underdrives, diff. There is no doubt that a "fully" modded BOSS 260 will outrun a Windsor 5.6L down the 1/4, as the BOSS breath much better up top.

I owned a BA XR8 ute for 3 years, and now a T3 for the last 8 months. I do prefer the T3 purely for the low end grunt.

What sounds better?

The older the better i.e. Windsor. But again that is subjective. Plenty of videos on youtube for you to have a listen.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
windsors have better sound and look better in the engine bay
Disagree there. My BA engine bay looks much better than my EF engine bay. The 3V fills it nicely and neatly and still looks like a V8 with the engine cover on. The Windsor in my EFs engine bay on the other hand looks messy and a little small.

Both my V8's sound noice though :

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
I'd agree with fairlane_ghia. If you are going to go through all that trouble....hit it with something BIG. A COME 427ci crate motor will only set you back about $16k

On a more serious note (and to answer your question)....

The Windsor 5.6L is a dinosaur engine. Rough and powerful. It shakes at idle and rumbles at high revs. Just how a V8 should be IMHO, but others will think different. It has a really nice torque curve, where 80% of peak torque is available from 2000RPM. This gives realy good drivability on the streets. If you look at one of the threads I started under the T Series Appreciation room, there are some stats on in gear performance. From memory 3rd gear 40km-70kms is 3.1sec...on a manual this is pulling from ~1500RPM. I've tried it on my T3 and was registering 3.3sec...so its roughly accurate.

The BOSS is a good motor, but in stock form, lacks V8 low RPM grunt. BUT, it does wake up with a few mods i.e. edit, exhaust, intake, underdrives, diff. There is no doubt that a "fully" modded BOSS 260 will outrun a Windsor 5.6L down the 1/4, as the BOSS breath much better up top.

I owned a BA XR8 ute for 3 years, and now a T3 for the last 8 months. I do prefer the T3 purely for the low end grunt. As for sound...the older the better i.e. Windsor. But again that is subjective. Plenty of videos on youtube for you to have a listen.
Thats all well and good,and im sure you have a great car,but the point is how would that engine go in a BF,a car that is a fair bit heavier.
Would you have that low down grunt you speak of when lugging that extra weight?

Would you have the same acceleration?

Of course not..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Thats all well and good,and im sure you have a great car,but the point is how would that engine go in a BF,a car that is a fair bit heavier.

Of course not..
I whole heartedly agree with this statement.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

If you want to mod the car, exhaust,cold air intake,custom tune etc the boss wins,because it will always make more power.

As for the better sounding motor, in my opinion the windsor wins hands down
Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378

Of course not..
Yeh didn't think about the weight issue. How much heavier is the chassis on the B series compared to the AU? I've heard somewhere that the BOSS engine weighs about 20kgs heavier.....so chassis is ~80kgs heavier?

Rides (past and present)

Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
plext
Forum Director

Assuming you can EuroIII a Windsor, then stick on a blower to make the shortfall, then make sure it still complies, I'm sure it'd be a very worthwhile endeavour.

Alternately you could flush money down the toilet while sticking pins in your ears, which would be every bit as enjoyable.

About as enjoyable as this thread actually.

Last edited by plext; 07-12-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

So you were there ?
I was, the only AU that turned up was a 6 cylinder and the fastest BA was doing 11's.

That must be some Telstar.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #24
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
It has a really nice torque curve, where 80% of peak torque is available from 2000RPM. This gives realy good drivability on the streets. If you look at one of the threads I started under the T Series Appreciation room, there are some stats on in gear performance. From memory 3rd gear 40km-70kms is 3.1sec...on a manual this is pulling from ~1500RPM. I've tried it on my T3 and was registering 3.3sec...so its roughly accurate.

I appreciate your unbiased opinion. I too love both engines and know each of their greats and short falls. Your curiousity is my project. I have a 6 speed manual and will try this rolling test 40-70km/h in 3rd and let you know what I get. I would imagine it will take longer than the T3.
One thing is for sure though the 1st and 2nd gear in the T3's are quite abit shorter than the 1st and 2nd in the Boss T56. Both share the simlar final ratio of 3.45/3.46.