Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
HOON69
Banned

Default Car Hoons To Face Jail Terms

Quote:
Car hoons face jail terms

December 04, 2007 08:45am
Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

CAR hoons in NSW will face jail terms if they rack up more than one conviction for offences including dangerous driving and performing burnouts and doughnuts, the state government said today.

Under the new laws foreshadowed today, fines for street racing and aggravated burnouts or doughnuts will be increased up to $3300 and hoons can be stripped of their licences for up to 12 months.

Car owners and parents will also be punished if their car is the one used by the convicted driver.

The legislation will provide for the car to be confiscated and used in crash tests if it is involved in three offences over a period of five years.

Announcing the laws, NSW Police Minister David Campbell said offenders caught a second time will face a prison term of up to nine months.

"These are tough measures aimed at stopping very dangerous and moronic behaviour on NSW roads," Mr Campbell said.

"Car hoons would not only face losing their vehicles but also their liberty, with jail terms of up to nine months for repeat street racing and burnout offences."

Under current laws, hoons can be jailed only if their second offence is more serious - such as colliding with another car or injuring a person.

Police will be given the power to strip licences on the spot and offenders can be taken off the road for 12 months.

"Not only are we increasing penalties but we're tightening the laws so hoons can't get their cars back because they need their vehicle for things such as work."

The anti-hoon package also includes a wheel clamping program, where cars are immobilised and dumped in their yard at home.
Share this article (What is this?)
And the Noose tightens...

HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Interesting one... bit disappointing but I don't live in NSW. Can't imagine it would be too long before Victoria adapts such rules though.

Someone really needs to get out and open more venues like Drag Tag's burnout pad!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

What a joke, people get less jail time for theft and assult???

Life is all but over... let the nanny state begin

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
CAR hoons in NSW will face jail terms if they rack up more than one conviction for offences including dangerous driving and performing burnouts and doughnuts, the state government said today
.Yeah cause this is helping reduce the road toll, they really have no idea!!!

Wonder what will happen once the BAN and make it illegal to drive any modified car on the Road and there is still a High Road Toll.......

Maybe then they will realise they went the wrong way about this!

And for Dangerous Driving, you can get convited of that by running into the rear of some one, or failing to give way or running a red light and numerous other minor offences..................... IDIOTS !!!!!

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
3vXT

...and along come the jerks to complete the knee-jerk reaction. Can't we just have a sticky thread so that there isn't the same arguments getting thrown around 3 times a week on very similar subjects?
Call it "The stupid government is f*cked and have no idea" thread.
Fair enough, most of you guys have pretty valid points, but its all getting a little repetitive.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Yet people who commit serious crimes get let off with a slap on the wrist, like the guy who punched that other guy down in Lorne and he ended up in a coma with a large piece of his skull having to be removed, and the guy got off with a suspended sentance. When will the punishment fit the crime.

And still no compulsory driver training. When will the incompetent fn idiots in the government wake up. Punishment is not going to bring the road toll down, training will.

Its like some sort of sick joke.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So where is the jail time for repeat drink drivers (oh wait that would include a majority of their target voters age group) ? Am I to now assume that doing a burnout (not that I ever do as I dont get the point) is more dangerous than repeated drink driving offences?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Yet people who commit serious crimes get let off with a slap on the wrist, like the guy who punched that other guy down in Lorne and he ended up in a coma with a large piece of his skull having to be removed, and the guy got off with a suspended sentance. When will the punishment fit the crime.

And still no compulsory driver training. When will the incompetent fn idiots in the government wake up. Punishment is not going to bring the road toll down, training will.

Its like some sort of sick joke.
Its attitudes, not simply skill thats the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
So where is the jail time for repeat drink drivers (oh wait that would include a majority of their target voters age group) ? Am I to now assume that doing a burnout (not that I ever do as I dont get the point) is more dangerous than repeated drink driving offences?
According to the blurb, only "aggravated burnouts" are worse.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Yep! To hell in a hand kart......

It's all about money.... like 'The War on "Terror"', it's about an endless/faceless grab for money, while avioding the real issues and praying on the fear of the stupid.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Rock ape

Im sick of this . We need our own political party.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where are the statistics to show that burnouts and doughnuts have caused x-amount of deaths? its pure BS that they can do this.

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has got to be something Car enthusiast forums like this can do to bring to light what is going on.

cause sooner or latter we will end up with 80km/h speed limits, speed camera's pointing at ya every 30 metres and Speed monitoring devises strapped to the car.

More to the point, if some guy gets done for a burnout in his ****ing 300RWKW Car and who now is facing Jail time and having the car swashed, You reckon he is going to just Pull over and let em take the car, I ****ing very much doubt it!!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the burnouts are not really the problem but the odds are if someone does "aggravated burnouts" they will drive like a moron all night and then endanger many innocent people. not many people will do an "aggravated burnout" and then drive safely afterwards
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to say this guys, but if you drive like a ****er thank f#@ck people are doing something to get you off the streets. And before someone says the cops pick on people who do the right thing because of how their car lock, thats a load of crap. I owned a VK Mock, 308 3" exhaust, You could hear it coming a mile away. Alwas got looks from people I drove past, and even cops but because I don't drive like a ****er on the streets I never got pulled up. If you want to go pull skids, go to a burnout pad, or a private road.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
xquizd
Da Boss

gtxb67 I think you may have a point there.
It's all coz sum knobs just go too far on the roads especially tight residental streets.

As for confiscating cars that part SUX!!!

If your caught doin something seriously rong fair enuf but it ****es me off when togs pull you over coz they noticed you have less than 2/3 suspension travel or ur exhaust is a little loud or not enuf clearance under the car, they will actually do a stupid manoova (u turn in front of cars doin 80k's) just to come pull u ova!!! *%$#@*%#
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
HOON69
Banned

I agree with tougher penalties but i hope this jail talk is only for extreme cases
driving at 80kmh in a 60 zone could get you a dangerous driving charge yet a hoon doing 220kmh with police in toe gets the same charge and you both end up with the same penalty.

2 tiny skids could see a person locked up,thats abit harsh dont you think?

im all for penalties but i hope this aint a knee jerk reaction to a bigger problem,seems to me they keep rising the stakes yet the death toll remains.

abit odd ifyou ask me
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
xquizd
Da Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Sorry to say this guys, but if you drive like a ****er thank f#@ck people are doing something to get you off the streets. And before someone says the cops pick on people who do the right thing because of how their car lock, thats a load of crap. I owned a VK Mock, 308 3" exhaust, You could hear it coming a mile away. Alwas got looks from people I drove past, and even cops but because I don't drive like a ****er on the streets I never got pulled up. If you want to go pull skids, go to a burnout pad, or a private road.

Not true depending on location they will pick on u for no reason.
Some pigs are just *##%@*%@%*#@*^*^$*^@*$%@
Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
BFXR8Silhouette
Nate

What exactly constitutes an "aggravated burnout"?
BFXR8Silhouette is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTp001
Im sick of this . We need our own political party.
Thats not a bad idea.

How about the government actually GIVE US some reasonable facilities to drive and race our cars instead of threatening everyone with this and that. The government is supposed to be helping and working for us, the public. They need to pull their head out of the clouds. Street racing will happen until cars are no more. FACT! Minimizing the numbers is the only way and they do that by giving us places to do it legally.

If you pull statistics, i would imagine that street racing accounts for probably 0.5 percent of all fatal car accidents. How many people have died from a burnout? Seriously.......
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
Lukes
Starter Motor

What will happen to companys who sell performance parts for cars??? There'd be out of a business sooner or later with these laws
Lukes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #21
xquizd
Da Boss

In case u havn't noticed I have a hate for *@#@$^#@^* TOG'S.

They've picked such CRAP when givn me a canary several times while driving through shitty Thomastown its not a joke!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
You are cute and cuddly, like a teddy bear.

You really think cops dont prey on the car you drive?

I have been driving a stock looking falcon for the past 8 months and have never been pulled up in it.

My mrs bought an r33 skyline with a kit, i got pulled up 7, COUNT IT 7 times in 2 weeks for - wait for it, wait for it - RANDOM BREATH TEST AND LICENSE CHECK.

Dont tell me cops dont pull you up if you are doing nothing wrong in a modified car.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
xquizd
Da Boss

U hit the nail on the head tuf514
Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #24
xquizd
Da Boss

first thing to come out of a pigs mouth when pulling you over in a mod'd car is
"nice car". Translation let's pick as many things as we can & hand out a canary!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizd
U hit the nail on the head tuf514

You are a brave man agreeing with anything i say on this forum.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
xquizd
Da Boss

Like I sad I have a passionate hate for togs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that their just jealous that they used to drive around in boxes when they were young.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

well, how's this for a simple answer

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT WITH A LABOUR GOVERNMENT IN POWER!!!?????? IN BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL FFS!!!

the bloody party is made of scardy cats and pussys, the doushbags who put em in power can now deal with the consiquences.

stupid laws like these become the norm, because they want everybody to be safe, maybe we should start walking around in foam blocks or cotton wool incase we trip over, this will stop us getting hurt yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey we are smart.

friggin pricks.

Last edited by XCSEDAN; 04-12-2007 at 01:18 PM.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #28
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

to do an aggrivated burnout you have to pour something on the road:

http://www.hansard.act.gov.au/HANSAR...week01/204.htm

Quote:
It is somewhat of a furphy for Mr Hargreaves to bleat about a $1,000 penalty on top of the 20 penalty points that he is proposing for an ordinary burnout. In fact, the traffic infringements applying to burnouts have set penalties of $355 for a traffic infringement notice and $456 for what is called an aggravated burnout, being pouring a substance on the road to facilitate the burnout. It could be petrol, oil, marbles or gravel, all substances which could cause injury or damage to either spectators or the road surface.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
well, how's this for a simple answer

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT WITH A LABOUR GOVERNMENT IN POWER!!!?????? IN BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL FFS!!!

the bloody party is made of scardy cats and pussys, the doushbags who put em in power can now deal with the consiquences.

stupid laws like these become the norm, because they want everybody to be safe, maybe we should start walking around in foam blocks or cotton wool incase we trip over, this will stop us getting hurt

friggin pricks.
Trev dont be an idiot.

We should start making cars out of foam that run solely on air, and that have a top speed of 10 kph.

Before you start knocking labor, dont forget how successfully they have run this country in the past.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #30
xquizd
Da Boss

Oil on the road! sounds like thomastown!