Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Tom Woolley

Default First Car Help

Hello I just got my P's and am in need of a car, im on the new laws which means nothing over 200 kilowatts my first preference is ford something sporty and quick and under 15 grand any ideas would be great.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Your FIRST car should be something completely sensible. Forgo all modifications and just drive it. SLOWLY. It's never good to lose your licence but dead easy to lose your licence on P Plates if you are a goose on the road. Remember, any damn fool can go fast in a car. Don't road race, do it the right way and go to a proper drag strip and get your time recorded. Then if it's good enough, pull out the time slip and shut the big mouth up who is egging you on. You have nothing to prove.

Although we are in a Ford forum, I'm gonna suggest other cars. For a smaller car, you can't go past a Toyota Corolla. You can pick up the last shape with the 1.8 litre engine for under 10k if you look. They are reliable, cheap as chips to run, and plenty fast enough when you're restricted in power and speed.

Something bigger? Mitsubishi Magna or Verada. I have owned two late series Magnas (still have a '97 Verada 3.5 litre on LPG) and I simply cannot fault them. TL Magnas can be found for under 15k and are excellent value for money if you can overlook the "interesting" headlights. TJ Magnas without the goddawful nose treatment go for about 12k. Agostino Mitsubishi in Adelaide (my home at this time) have quite a few Magnas. Check out agostino.com.au. Magnas from TE onwards (24 valve heads) will run LPG very happily, but the earlier 12 valve V6's suffer from valve seat recession on LPG.

Economical too. How about 22 litres of LPG for 240km, 2 passengers, mainly 100km/h around the Yorke Penninsula?
Old 29-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Tom Woolley

thanks for your wisdom much appreciated
Old 29-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as above, even if it's only for 6 moths or something get a eccno box to get used to driving on your own and with mates around something you can't get into to much trobble in, then move up to a car you want and like. It's even worse now with cop's and new laws than it was when i was 17.

Just a side note to think about, every one of my mates bar 2 or 3 who got a nice car first up either crashed it or wrote it off inside of a year.

I have just turned 23 and my list of cars is

85 Toyota Corona
95 Accord
97 Explorer
07 XR6 Turbo.

Looking back on it the most Fun i had in any of those cars was the 85 tojo.

You will do stupid chit it's just something that happens and I hope like I have you learn something from it and you come out in one piece. Know you limits you Push the envelope, bad things will happen
Old 29-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe a Nice 4 or so year old XR6 Sedan

And leave it stock, apart from maybe some nice rims & suspension Mods :P

Or go the Corolla
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Tom Woolley

xr6 sounds nice
Old 29-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
loony888

whatever you choose, make sure you can afford insurance, you may buy a cheapie to begin with, but you should still full comp insure it. why? well aside from the obvious, you will establish a no claims bonus, and a cheap car is cheaper to insure so it's reasonably economical to build on your no claims bonus. that way, when you can afford a decent higher dollar car you will have a head start with your rating and it will cost you significantly less to insure it.
note, this will only work if you behave!!!! crashing and claiming, and or lots of fines and demerit points will undo your good work.

paul.
Old 29-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

you could go a nice AU XR6 for that price range easy.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU S2 XR8, why it's right on the limit at 200KW LOL
Old 29-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
dishpig
Only an xr6...

For your P's I will only suggest somthing old, manual and cheap as chips. Go for a ED or EF drive it around for a year till you know what your doing. Then get a good car, no point getting a 15k car your just ganna destroy (most people who want power do). i didn't like the idea either when I first got my license but I'm glad I waited, (still lost my lisence though lol).

Most people will tell you some of the best time's they've had is in they're first cars no matter what it was.

Oh yeah for me 2nd car the xr6 insurance was on the upside of 2 grand, might wanna think about that. Thats 6 grand over your p-plate period for a car you can't modify.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do what one of my mates did get a old 12 seater Nissan urvan
some funny sh&^% happened in that thing let me tell ya
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
thirsty
Whhhaaaaaa

just make sure there is room enough in the back seat. also check out the Rice on this forum fo inspiration.
thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
Tom Woolley

any thoughts on a stock ef ford falcon manual
Old 29-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

ef's are great. I had an ef futura.... good car and cheap to run.

even better was my old xf ute....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

throw yourself in a BA XT...prices start at 11-12 thou for a mid km XT
thats wat i plan on doing. practical, big, and advanced in regards to safety etc.
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
xr8man83
Grunt Files

ef or el's r a nice car and in manual form theyr fairly quick nice set of rims and lower it and you got a good cruser mate
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Scone
Tool

Thumbs up

I would suggest an EL over the EF, a much better car in my opinion vastly improved handling. But really a Mazda 323 Laser will give you lots of fun. I am old and my first car was a 1965 Peugot 404 with 66 kw loved it, had a ball.
Scone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
dishpig
Only an xr6...

haha my mate has just got his lisence and got a 1990 laser for free. The first day he was driving me around he told me he wanted a new car. 1.3L engine = no balls. Nothing beats a falcon 6 lots of torque lots of space and it's a ford.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was me, I'd go down either the XF or EB II track. Probably pick up a nice one for about 3k, parts are cheap and plentiful and if you write it off (touch wood) it's no great loss. Put it on gas and cheap as anything to run.

Even though some around here probably swear by them, I'd steer clear of the 3.9 EA personally.

Upgrade in a few years when the Orion sends the value of all those BA XR6T through the floor, and you are old enough to enjoy one properly.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Under $15grand? Under 200kw?? Don't wanna pay much for Insurance??

Go to the auctions and get a BA!!! :P
182kw, get the base models which have the same gearbox and engine as the XR6 with half the insurance bill!
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #21
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have got the kids a little KC laser as a car to learn on & get their licence. Must admit it is a great little car even if she isnt pretty ........ very practical though.

A nice EL would do the job very well too. Something that is legal for you now but with the potential for later mods & fun when your allowed.

Its a matter of looking and waiting for that car that just grabs you, the one you see & know you have to have.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
XR8AU2121

Wooley - Check out the VR-X AWD Magnas - cheap as chips, AWD, Performance Brakes, already lowered sports suspension, 2 1/2in Sports Exhaust, side air bags, climate control air, body kit, cruise control, sports seats, 5 speed tip tronic tranny, excellent safe handling in all conditions, top brakes, what more would you want for a first car for around $15,000. Also, all 2005 models are covered by the 5 year 130,000 full factory warranty.
I bought an Ex-Police TL VR AWD over two years ago for my wife. It was 1 year old with 40,000k for $16,500 at auction. It now has 80,000k without a problem, just normal regular servicing. It never even had a warranty repair.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
cowboy
Cowboy

Something low powered cause even though you probably think you're a reasonable driver, trust me, at that age, you're not. Not trying to be insulting here mate but as you get older I'm sure you'll agree with me.

All my mates that bought high power cars at that age all crashed them, some bad. I got a 1979 Toyota Corona for 6 months then an XE Fairmont and still managed to get in enough trouble. Go a 4 cyl, not appealing I know but for 12 months or so would be a smart choice. Build up insurance rating, become a better driver and save $$ for the next car.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

What is it with people crashing their first car? Mine was a 302 powered XA coupe back in the mid 90's and I never even had a light tap (apart from holing the sump on a gutter, the car was dumped on its guts). It was my 3rd car once off my P's that I kept bumping lol. That poor EA had more than it's fair share of damage. I had minor shunts 3 times and my brother, the previous owner had at least 2 heavy accidents in it before I bought it.

Anyway, first car. I would also recommend something in the small to medium size class. For 15 grand you can pick up all manner of Corolla, Mazda 323, 626, Laser, Lancer, etc. Or sportier things like Hondas although you probably wont be able to ferry mates around in them.

Otherwise something like an EF/EL/AU Falcon or even (Gasp) a VT/VX Commodore. You would probably be able to get an AU XR6 for 15 grand. The Magna from the mid to late 90's is also an excellent choice. All depends on what you want from your car.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #25
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would look at what options you get with each car. Thinks like ABS would be high on my wish list, only because depending on how much driving you have done if something unexpected happens ABS can be the difference between a crash and a near miss. Other safety features help too - then it just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to pay each week. If you dont want to pay much then look at something small and economical.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
tempest

get a nice EFII/EL XR6, my first car was a EFII XR6 (well it still is my only car too). Treat it with respect and you wont mess it up. From the $$$ you will save, spend a bit dressing it up a bit (wheels, tint, lowering...exhaust, wateva you desire) and making sure is mechanically clean if it isnt already. Looks the goods, and quite capable of having some (limited) fun in if thats what you desire...
tempest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post