Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Be safe when working on ya car!

Today, my hubby decided that he would "Jack" up the car...funny cause his name is "JACK" and he put axle stands under the car...only problem is it wasn't high enough so he put blocks of wood under the stands....

Needless to say this was a HUGE!! mistake and the coupe started to move sideways toward a pole in our carport....so to protect the bodywork and the paint!!...he grabbed the car (what does he think he is superman!!) and the car slipped off the stands pinning his ankle under the car...

Result!...car missed the pole but Hubby now has a broken ankle!!

Beware! Things you have done a "hundred times before" can bite you in the butt!!

Old 27-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

things people do to protect their car

i'd do the same

what a champion
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
woodsy109

Bet he thinks a broken ankle was worth it to save his car from damage!
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
RapidBF
Rapid BF XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Today, my hubby decided that he would "Jack" up the car...funny cause his name is "JACK" and he put axle stands under the car...only problem is it wasn't high enough so he put blocks of wood under the stands....

Needless to say this was a HUGE!! mistake and the coupe started to move sideways toward a pole in our carport....so to protect the bodywork and the paint!!...he grabbed the car (what does he think he is superman!!) and the car slipped off the stands pinning his ankle under the car...

Result!...car missed the pole but Hubby now has a broken ankle!!

Beware! Things you have done a "hundred times before" can bite you in the butt!!
owww sounds painful. i'm guessing he won't be trying that again!
RapidBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About 100 years ago I was changing the sump gasket on an old holden. Had the whole car supporte on various bricks and trolley jacks on the front lawn. Not surprisingly, the car came crashing down with me under it. Ahh the things you do when your only 17 and no idea. The only difference is, I'm now 37, and still have no idea.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
About 100 years ago I was changing the sump gasket on an old holden. Had the whole car supporte on various bricks and trolley jacks on the front lawn. Not surprisingly, the car came crashing down with me under it. Ahh the things you do when your only 17 and no idea. The only difference is, I'm now 37, and still have no idea.
Obviously...you were working on a holden!!!
Old 27-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

How many times are things done, things happen and then it clicks "Oh I dont think I should have done that!" but all too late. Hope Jack is all OK ...... oh and the coupe!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Obviously...you were working on a holden!!!
You know, I never even realised that was the problem
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Forgot to mention...axle stand went through the muffer!! Massive hole!!Sounds like a V8 Now!!! HaHa!!
Old 27-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
How many times are things done, things happen and then it clicks "Oh I dont think I should have done that!" but all too late. Hope Jack is all OK ...... oh and the coupe!
Ho hum...I shall have to tend to his wounds....HaHa!!! Such a chore!!!

Thanks Dave.
Old 27-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy109
Bet he thinks a broken ankle was worth it to save his car from damage!
LMAO..
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

i did the same thing under my xf ute wen i was trying to hook up a rev gauge and had to get under the car. but i put a brick under the jack and it left a big hole in the ground, luckily it didnt fall on me and im only 16 so ill still got time to learn/screw up more :P. Also the car didnt fall over or anithing but im just saying i did the same thing, and it worked
Old 27-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #13
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

This reminds me of an incident at work a while ago. A senior technician put a trade-in XG ute onto one of the two post hoists to do some reconditioning. He was under the car banging away for 10-15 minutes, when an apprentice called him over to check something. He had barely gone 4 or 5 feet when the ute slipped backwards off the hoist.

One of the hoists arms had swung away and let the ute slip backwards off the hoist. The back left corner made contact first as the front left got caught on the front arm. After the guard folded up the front wheels hit the deck, the whole thing bounced a couple of times befors coming to rest neatly between the hoists posts.

After the 6 foot drop they had to replace the front left guard, the left rear bumper corner, and a front left mudflap. Not bad for an old girl eh?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of all the ways to get yourself a "holiday". Bad news Jack, hope you are getting plenty of attention. Can you still drive the coupe?
I think most of us would rather ourselves get hurt before the car does.
Take it easy and be thankful you are here to share your mishap with us.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff EL 4.0
i did the same thing under my xf ute wen i was trying to hook up a rev gauge and had to get under the car. but i put a brick under the jack and it left a big hole in the ground, luckily it didnt fall on me and im only 16 so ill still got time to learn/screw up more :P. Also the car didnt fall over or anithing but im just saying i did the same thing, and it worked
one question...Why did you need to jack up the car to hook up a tacho..I have a 5inch tacho in my xf and didn't have to go under the car..
P.s im only 17

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #16
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Of all the ways to get yourself a "holiday". Bad news Jack, hope you are getting plenty of attention. Can you still drive the coupe?
I think most of us would rather ourselves get hurt before the car does.
Take it easy and be thankful you are here to share your mishap with us.
You goin soft on us Mark?? Disappointed we can't see Dave race on Saturday....But who knows...Maybe....

Call him " jack the peg" if we make it!!! Likelihood is 5% though! Poor man now knows pain...think after 22yrs he would...HAHAHAHA!
Old 27-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #17
Daveman
`

Bit of a scary moment for you i would of thought...Very lucky it was just his ankle.

Who got the coupe off his ankle? or did she(the coupe) say 'sorry mate' and jump right off.
Bad luck mate, hope you heal up well and Jack as well.
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least he saved a coupe, how disappointed would you be if you put yourself on the line for a 180b??
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Daughter's boyfriend takes the cake for doing something stupid whilst working on a car. Mind you, he's not a kid, he's 24...but then again he is a Holden driver!! Anyway, last week decided to help a friend get his car going. The car had been running but for some unknown reason wouldn't start, so what did the clever boy do... took the air filter off and proceeded to pour petrol straight into the carby. I think most of us know you only put a capful directly into the carby....he not only poured it into the carby from a Jerry can, but did it whilst the engine was hot and you guessed it, set himself on fire and spent the next week in the burns unit of Royal Melbourne Hospital. I couldn't believe the complete stupidity of someone doing that and keep in mind his mate was standing there watching him do it!

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

An ankle is a small price to pay, lucky lad.

I hate this subject. We passed a HJ-Z one tonner on the Bruce Highway, it was on the exit at probably Eumundi, we stayed on the Hwy heading south, it looked like the wheels had been ripped off the front and was sitting on its discs but couldnt see clearly because of the longish grass between us and the exit lane. Watching the news that night, the driver was dead under it, a scissor jack gave way.

I never play under cars on jacks, or blocks not designed to be used as they are. I had a Cortina 6 cyl yrs ago on besser blocks. Changed the gearbox. Lifted the car off the blocks, and as soon as the weight was lifted one block fell apart.

Since then I always use a rim if theres nothing else available.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
An ankle is a small price to pay, lucky lad.

I hate this subject. We passed a HJ-Z one tonner on the Bruce Highway, it was on the exit at probably Eumundi, we stayed on the Hwy heading south, it looked like the wheels had been ripped off the front and was sitting on its discs but couldnt see clearly because of the longish grass between us and the exit lane. Watching the news that night, the driver was dead under it, a scissor jack gave way.

I never play under cars on jacks, or blocks not designed to be used as they are. I had a Cortina 6 cyl yrs ago on besser blocks. Changed the gearbox. Lifted the car off the blocks, and as soon as the weight was lifted one block fell apart.

Since then I always use a rim if theres nothing else available.
Sorry that is such a sad experience for you...Lucky my Jack only hurt his ankle and am now at his beck and call....oooooOOO..does this now make me his call girl??? HaHa
Old 27-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman
Bit of a scary moment for you i would of thought...Very lucky it was just his ankle.

Who got the coupe off his ankle? or did she(the coupe) say 'sorry mate' and jump right off.
Bad luck mate, hope you heal up well and Jack as well.
Thanks Dave...Coupe knew better than that!!! She would have wanted to "jump" off Jack....

Old 27-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually when you have a car on stands, the wheels come off for more axcess.
Why is is so hard for people not to slide a wheel under the sill's/xmember with a piece of timber to protect the wheel for added safety?

And when was the last time someone used axle stands on the diff on a car¿! they're just crap either they're too high, jacks too low, or they just don't fit (damn fords).

We also need oversize ramps, no one can drive BOTH front wheels on them without collecting the front lip! I can only get one on full lock!,

Anyways play it safe guys! and throw out those scissor jacks (they're only good with a shoe one it while holding the sump!) leaking trolley jacks need to be destroyed! and get a large supply of thick rubber not timber these have grains and split and don't start me on bricks!.

Old 27-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #24
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I remember removing clevo extractors from the parts XD with just a block of wood under the crossmember and it was uneven ground...
Anyone that has done it knows what a pr!ck of a job it is and after standing back and basking in my own awesomeness i realised it was a tad silly...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing 'eh?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Sorry that is such a sad experience for you...Lucky my Jack only hurt his ankle and am now at his beck and call....oooooOOO..does this now make me his call girl??? HaHa
Sadder for his family. Im just accutely aware of the issue as a result of the Cortina, but moreso the ute. A mate of mine knows the story, and I still leave the shed when he gets under a car on a trolley jack. His argument is hes never had it happen to him. : Hes got spare rims he could throw under a wheel etc, but reckons its no problem so why bother.

Im glad your hubby is fine, and has a personal slave now. I imagine he thinks it was well worth it now. I just wanted to get the story out there so at least someone might learn from it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #26
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
one question...Why did you need to jack up the car to hook up a tacho..I have a 5inch tacho in my xf and didn't have to go under the car..
P.s im only 17
Well i got told that i need to hook up one of the wires to my coil and i couldnt get to it throught the top so i went under and it didnt even work! I just drained the battery n shorted out everything, shows what a highschool automotive teachers knows eh : . the utes gone now aniway but i still have the tacho its only a little old one i pulled out of a F150 ex ambo.
Old 27-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #27
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

your husband is lucky!!! and good on him for saving the coupe :P

i'll never forget when i had a car come down on me, it was a friggin VL to top it all!!!!

stupid aussy build jap cars, the sissor jack collapsed while i was under the car, (the spare wheel was about to be put under the car by another mate, but i climbed under because the frigging sump plug was undone n ****in oil out everywhere as idiot no.1 was putting fresh oil in!!!!!!), long story short, sissor jack collapsed and pinned me under the car right across the gut (couldnt eat for 2 days)

LUCKILY!!! the car only came down a total of about 4" meaning only an inch or 2 was pressing on me. (that was only due to my mate kicking a block of wood under the sills)

it really hurt and from now on i REFUSE to get under a car unless it is on level ground, on axle stands, and with chocks under the wheels or wheels under the sills for added safety. dealt with it once, never again do i want the same thing happening.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
Geez Louise
Awesome

Spewin we might miss Heathcote...really wanted to give the coupe stick!!!

Will see what happens between now and Saturday!!! Thanks everyone for your well wishes for Jack!
Old 28-11-2007, 12:02 AM   #29
t2te50
Banned

I've got a jack that bleeds down and had lost one of my jack stands from an excursion up to Ballarat (long story). To make matters worse my driveway is slopped.
Forever got the car jacked up on old rims, bits of timber. I never get underneath unless I've got all this crap crammed under the car. So if the timber fails the rim will pick up the slack, capish!
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #30
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was about 13 helping my dad work on the car the jack failed lucky neither of us were under it but since then both of us have never got under a car supported by a jack only

Always up on stands.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post