Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RACV push for P-Plate passenger restrictions

Quote:
YOUNG P-plate drivers should be barred from carrying more than one passenger for their first year on the road, according to the RACV.
In a submission to the State Government, the motoring body said the radical crackdown could save up to four young lives and prevent 150 serious injuries every year.

RACV general manager (public policy) Dr Ken Ogden said statistics showed 26 per cent of first-year probationary drivers involved in fatal crashes were carrying more than one passenger.

Dr Ogden said restricting passenger numbers would be a highly effective safety measure.

Dr Ogden said recent RACV market research showed a high level of public support for the proposal.

He said 72 per cent of parents supported passenger restrictions on P-platers and 42 per cent of young drivers agreed.

"A number of young drivers also told us that they often felt pressured into carrying a car load of passengers and would welcome a reason to refuse to do so," he said.

In August, Premier Steve Bracks announced several changes to driver licensing laws to save the lives of young drivers.

The proposals included learners being compelled to get 120 hours of practice before getting their licence, an extra year being added to probationary licence and hoons being forced to stay on their P-plates for longer.

The Government has estimated if the changes were adopted, 12 lives would be saved every year and 192 fewer people would be seriously injured.

In a typical year, 120 people aged 18-25 are killed on the roads and 2300 seriously injured.

The Government is garnering public comment before making a final decision next month.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...3-2862,00.html

Even though this has come up time and again, what are your thoughts on this.

I wonder if the RACV or the Government have taken into account the increasing numbers of P-platers on the roads, at night, under this system when calculating their figures.

Or the amount of P-platers who might "risk it" and drive home under the influience simply because they could not get a lift with their mates.

IMO, I think the potential implemention of this system will solve nothing.

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Not allowing people under 25 to drive a car will reduce the road toll for under 25's even more, why dont they use that? /sarcasm

Seriosuly, its complete crap, with the current restrictions in place, no body can be the "taxi" anymore because after 11pm were not allowed to carry more than 1 passenger under 25. So it involves about 2 or 3 people not drinking and putting 2-3 more cars on the road, and everyone trying to follow each other home in the convoy of cars is going to be alot worse, because people will be more likely to race each other home
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Not allowing people under 25 to drive a car will reduce the road toll for under 25's even more, why dont they use that? /sarcasm

Seriosuly, its complete crap, with the current restrictions in place, no body can be the "taxi" anymore because after 11pm were not allowed to carry more than 1 passenger under 25. So it involves about 2 or 3 people not drinking and putting 2-3 more cars on the road, and everyone trying to follow each other home in the convoy of cars is going to be alot worse, because people will be more likely to race each other home
Or somebody will run a red light in order not to be dropped off the back and collect somebody.

Pretty poorly thought out idea.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
krt10
eskyman

not that im an environmentalist or anything but......... it may save 12 lives a year, but with more people being forced to take more cars wont this contribute to the greenhouse gasses being emmited into the air. it could potentially kill more than 12 people a year in the long term. ( just another way of looking at it)
Old 22-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
fastlane
In here

Well I was told that the envionmentalists are against RACV's decision of passenger restrictions due to this leading to more cars and more pollution.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

But doesn't more passengers in the car save lives, I mean it's pretty hard to drift a car when you have three fat mates and a few cartons over the back wheels lol

Seriously go yourself RACV I'm nearly out of the p plate club but it doesn't stop me being ****ed off at all the you have to cop being a p plater.

P platers are starting to put 2 and 2 together and wait for it..........NOT WEARING THEIR P PLATES
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

All this will mean is instead of one car hooning around from one spot to another it will be 2 or 3... what an excellent idea.

Also makes it great for me when i decide to drive my parents and girlfriend somewhere "Ahh sorry mum i know my car is a five seater but your going to have to follow me there..."

Also means whenever a group of mates go to the pub the one who pick the short straw to be driver has to do 4 trips instead of one.

Do they evan really think about this rubbish before they put it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

P platers are starting to put 2 and 2 together and wait for it..........NOT WEARING THEIR P PLATES
A mate of mine got sick of being followed around so he did this for about a month and stopped being followed and pulled over, i put them back up one day, he was pulled over within two days...
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
But doesn't more passengers in the car save lives, I mean it's pretty hard to drift a car when you have three fat mates and a few cartons over the back wheels lol

Seriously go yourself RACV I'm nearly out of the p plate club but it doesn't stop me being ****ed off at all the you have to cop being a p plater.

Wrong. Late at night, ****ed mates in the back, guess who's going to play hero?

This forum should either have a section for cry baby p platers, or delete the threads altogether. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on the topic.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
RACV general manager (public policy) Dr Ken Ogden said statistics showed 26 per cent of first-year probationary drivers involved in fatal crashes were carrying more than one passenger.
26% doesn't really seem like a huge number to me. That means 74% are done with none or just one passsenger. So to me thats saying having people next to you doesn't really matter all that much. From personal experience I know people do stupid stuff with people in cars but I've seen people do much stupider stuff with the people outside the car.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Idiots who shouldn't be on the road in the first place?

Certainly not the majority of P platers who just want to get themselves and their mates home in one piece after a fun night.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Kryton

like it or lump it, its going to happen either way.
RACV has no say in the matter, either do any other organisations.
between Vicroads and the Government, it has already been decided that this will be introduced next year.
get used to it.

Quote:
This forum should either have a section for cry baby p platers, or delete the threads altogether.
i agree.
all the whining is getting beyond a joke.
seriously, if you feel that hard done by, go out and lobby the government.
better yet, dont get a license and you have nothing to worry about.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
All this will mean is instead of one car hooning around from one spot to another it will be 2 or 3... what an excellent idea.
couldnt agree more...

the only solution is to put driving school classes into schools and make the legal age to drive back up to how it used to be.

i dont fall into this catergory so i dont care,as long as they dont act a fool around me or my family,i dont care.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 24 and still in the first year of my Ps (11 months). (Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic).

18 year olds...maybe. But at 24, I'd like to think I have a little more maturity and I don't speed or hoon about, and that sounds a little self-gratifying, but I don't fruit about.

I don't carry loads of people, but it should be carefully introduced as I don't want to be tarnished with a brush well coated in poop.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

This forum should either have a section for cry baby p platers, or delete the threads altogether. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on the topic.

hahahaha excellent.

Like I always say "you had to wait 17 years to be on the road why cant you live with restrictions for a 3 more years"
Old 23-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
hahahaha excellent.

Like I always say "you had to wait 17 years to be on the road why cant you live with restrictions for a 3 more years"
4 years in vic.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This forum should either have a section for cry baby p platers
i suggest we call it "the afternoon nap and juice box forum"
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #17
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Puts more P Plate driven cars on the road!!

A couple in this car and a couple in that car next to each other at the lights ends up distracting each other and maybe even a street race which is all you need for some inexperienced drivers!!!

SHYTE IDEA!!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

seriously this is stupid.

i've got my p's and this is crap, we've done the whole one person in a car thing at a party once, most of the guys raced each other from lights to lights. it doesnt work and is a p!ss poor pathetic bandaid fix!

it shits me up the wall because i have 1. been in a serious crash, 2. because i've had mates die on the roads and 3. WHY DO THEY THINK THESE IDEA'S WILL WORK!? dont they get people learn from experince? well most do anyways.

i really hate it how they try to slap fix p-plate problems. seriously make it compulsuary before you go for your P's to do a basic driver training session. at least then if something gets out of hand, or a situation arises, they have a higher chance of getting the car back into line. does anybody else agree with that idea, or am i on my own?

and i don't know about other people, but when i have other people in the car (whether they are ****ed or sober) im always more sensible, but they may just be because of my previous experiance.

LIVE AND LEARN!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I'm 24 and still in the first year of my Ps (11 months). (Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic).

18 year olds...maybe. But at 24, I'd like to think I have a little more maturity and I don't speed or hoon about, and that sounds a little self-gratifying, but I don't fruit about.

I don't carry loads of people, but it should be carefully introduced as I don't want to be tarnished with a brush well coated in poop.
I agree

I'm 24, got my P's in January. When i first got the car, yes i did hoon, but that soon wore off.. I'm getting married next year, looking for a house, been to uni for 5 years, got postgraduate qualifications and have a respectable full time job.

I think that 25 is a bit hard to swallow, but perhaps 21 and under for sure.

As previously brought up, this negates the "taxi" for the night, increases the chances of mates racing against each other and increases the amount of P platers on the roads..

Fair enough it does have some positives, but they really have not thought this through properly

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )

Last edited by ayeyew; 23-10-2007 at 04:17 PM.
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

wat a stupid idea. more ways for police to book P platers. I mean come on your going to the coast on a saturday and you can only take one mate...yeah uhhh nah. I don't think so. I can honestly say if these laws were brought in i would not obey them

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I can only see the restrictions getting worse... So the next generation will be even worse off... I thought we (the 1st new millenium group of p platers had it tough) but slowly through the years, enforcement has began to tighten its grip....

Maybe it will work, who knows?? Only time will tell
Old 23-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Seconded....

Old 23-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #23
ayeyew
Teh Baest

What they gotta do is not make more rules, but enforce the current ones..

the number of times i see P-platers talking on there phones and doing little stupid things like that is ridiculous.. I say toughen the penalties, increase the fines, decrease the number of demerit points even.. Make an example of a few people so kids get the idea, it's all basic psychology.. If they know that they can get away with a $200 fine or that they know they will get away with whatever they do 99% of the time.. Then they will do it.

It can be about positive reinforcement too.. Aswell as penalising the P-Platers who do mess up, why don't you reward the P-Platers who do the right thing? Say if they go 12 months without an infringement, why don't you give them their Green plates for free? Kids need to know WHY they should do the right thing.

If they do something stupid then they deserve what they get, but this just messes it up for the 90% of P-Platers who do the right thing

Currently:
Old 23-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #24
geohatrick

one person after 11 sucks. i drove to mona vale which is about 30min drive from my place i drove 4mates there and could only drive one person home cause we stayed out till 12 its stupid last night we had 5 cars come out so as we could get everyone home from a mates birthday we would have only needed 3 if me and another mate that drove didnt have these restrictions.
Old 23-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
geohatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Seconded....
go put p-plates on your car for a month and abide by all the rules that p platers have to and see how you like it... then do it for 3years.
Old 23-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #26
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohatrick
go put p-plates on your car for a month and abide by all the rules that p platers have to and see how you like it... then do it for 3years.
Seconded....
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
thirded (i know its not a word but you get the point)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was a P Plater once too.. We all live by different rules and regulations every day of our life, i dont sook about it, i just get on with it.
If you've just got your licence (P plater) its not like you know any different anyway in terms of driving freedoms.... and at the end of 3 years you get to upgrade, you'll live!

Old 23-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #29
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Yeh, it is pretty restrictive.. Especially 3 goddamn years of it!!

But seriously, they do not crack down on P-Platers enough on the road.. I have been pulled over once since i got my P's in January and that was because i was along side a police car at a set of lights, drinking a coffee and he thought it was alcohol, otherwise he wouldn't have pulled me over, lol..

They can make all the rules in the world, but until they make an example of a few people in a short period of time (Massive fines, jail time etc... and report it) people will still do what they want to do.

Get the cops to pull P-Platers over randomly.. i could care less if i feel like they 'target' P-Platers, cuz i know i do the right thing. Majority of the time, it's the people who don't do the right thing that complain about being 'targeted'.

Make them think ", i might get pulled over by cops before i do this..." so they don't do the stupid in the first place rather than penalising the ones who do the right thing..

Currently:
Old 23-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #30
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
fourthded?

Currently: