Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default New Ford Boss V8 800nm torque!!!!

Has anybody else heard about Ford developing a twin turbo version of the new Hurricane V8. It's rumoured to be DOHC 6.2L with a big fat turbo per cylinder bank and a healthy 800nm plus of torque.

Why is it that we are the ones with the large rear wheel drive platform with enough bonnet space to take any engine in the Ford lineup yet are still persevering with the same na 290kw V8 from 2003.

Hopefully if Ford gets an export deal to the US they will HAVE to have the best engines so as not to have the Falcon royally rogered by the Mustang in performance.

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Why would Ford care if the Mustang is more powerful than the Falcon? They are made by the same company. In fact that's the way it should be.

The Falcon needs to be sold as a mass market family saloon in the US, not just a performance sedan. That's a more aussie tradition anyway.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Well, if we can make both a family sedans and high performance sedans, it proves what talant FoA has! :P
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Why would Ford care if the Mustang is more powerful than the Falcon? They are made by the same company. In fact that's the way it should be.

The Falcon needs to be sold as a mass market family saloon in the US, not just a performance sedan. That's a more aussie tradition anyway.
The money is in sports and luxury sedans not taxis.

Besides I thought it was traditionally common practice to offer every V8 across the range. eg. the FE family big blocks were offered across the range in U.S. in Torino etc. The Mustang is a pony car not a muscle car. The fire breathing V8's should be offered in the big, boofy, rear drive cars for strip duties as traditionally was the case.
Old 26-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
billsta

For starters with that much torque, there's alot to consider eg; driveline and tyres.
That's alot of torque, any approx KW figures to match?
Where does it make peak torque and how widespread is it across the rev range?
Old 26-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

Besides I thought it was traditionally common practice to offer every V8 across the range. eg. the FE family big blocks were offered across the range in U.S. in Torino etc. The Mustang is a pony car not a muscle car. The fire breathing V8's should be offered in the big, boofy, rear drive cars for strip duties as traditionally was the case.
Not since the 70's though. The most powerful V8 Ford sedan you can get nowadays is a 4.6L powered Crown Vic. But big powerful sedans are coming back into fashion in the US with the Charger (large hemi powered 4 door sedan), 300C and Pontiac G8 (Commodore SS) leading the charge.

My point was the Mustang, while only a pony car, should be the Ford performance pinnacle for the average American Joe IMO (ie cant afford a Ford GT). That's my impression of the way American Ford fans think anyway. Not a muscle car? Tell that to an owner of a 428CJ or 429 powered 'stang. Other "pony" cars include the 400 cube Trans Ams and 440 Hemi powered 'Cudas and Challengers. There's probably a lot more. :eclipsee_

And the money isn't in sports and luxury, it is in taxis. Falcon used to be the biggest selling car in Australia because of fleet sales of "taxi pack" spec cars, and Holden are now doing the same.

Truth be told there isn't all that much money in large sedans at all any more.

Old 26-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Heres an extract from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

Later high-performance versions will be equipped with DOHC 4-valve heads and Gasoline direct injection (GDI). A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is currently being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 ft·lbf (881 N·m) in initial testing.

Make that 900nm of torque
Old 26-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

If that torque is made at 2000rpm (which is roughly when most turboed big engined cars torque peaks), it would be making roughly 300 kws. And remember that is just at 2000rpm! If the car were making that torque at 4500rpm (which certainly isn't unreasonable - look at the typhoon), the car would be pounding out over 600kw! Perhaps the GTHO being the fastest sedan in the world isn't impossible.
That said, it is highly unlikely that this engine will make it in its current form. Emission regs, longetivity and fuel will bring it down. However, in production it would probably still be ~450kw - it has to be in order to compete with the rumoured supercharged LSwhatever engines.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
billsta

Quote:
Heres an extract from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

Later high-performance versions will be equipped with DOHC 4-valve heads and Gasoline direct injection (GDI). A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is currently being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 ft·lbf (881 N·m) in initial testing.

Make that 900nm of torque
Damn the TwinForce 6.2L sounds awesome...definately an engine worthy of a HO or a newly named supercar killer from fpv......
Old 26-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck to the chassis coping...

BTW you won't see it in a Falcon.. can guarantee that.

Also If the bare engine has similar dimensions to the current 5.4 Modular engine theres no way it will fit. The 5.4 only just fits as it is, add 2x Turbos to that and no hope in an OEM installation at least.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsta
Damn the TwinForce 6.2L sounds awesome...definately an engine worthy of a HO or a newly named supercar killer from fpv......
Question is... are they gutsy enough to do it?
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
billsta

probably not, again that depends on what HSV do and if FPV can respond especially if there is a GTS-R announced at the Sydney Motor Show.
I think they should bring out a Super Typhoon, that would send a cold chill down HSV's backside.....
Old 26-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Good luck to the chassis coping...

BTW you won't see it in a Falcon.. can guarantee that.

Also If the bare engine has similar dimensions to the current 5.4 Modular engine theres no way it will fit. The 5.4 only just fits as it is, add 2x Turbos to that and no hope in an OEM installation at least.
The chassis will take it !!!
It will no doubt have traction / stability control etc...
Naturally suspension and drivline will need some thought..
Thinking C.V joints...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Since when??

V8 supercars would net Ford barely anything i'd think, I heard rumours they were thinking of pulling out though I don't believe it.

And if it's in luxury sedans, why have the LWB's been cut?
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Molloy
Captain beat down

Droolz............

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #16
metalmania

ford are soft c...s , they won't build it.
metalmania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmania
ford are soft c...s , they won't build it.
agreed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Bent8
Long live the GT !

881Nm is way too much torque for a performance car...look at the Brabus S Roadster (6.3L V12 TT). They had to reduce torque from 1000 to 811Nm because it was too much for the chassis and the TC couldn't handle it...apparently it's still too much.

We don't need a Twin turbo 6.2L V8 to compete with HSV...just dropping the new 6.2L into the new Falcons would be enough to easily take on the General's 6.0L LS2's.

Wikipedia says the 6.2L 'BOSS' motors will make 317kW & 576Nm (very conservative)...with a mild tune and decent headers, they should make 350kW & 600Nm no problem.

That's more than enough to take on the current VE GTS (307kW/550Nm) and probably even the 7.0L LS7's if HSV ever introduce those to an Aussie model...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida

Last edited by Bent8; 26-09-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #19
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
The chassis will take it !!!
It will no doubt have traction / stability control etc...
Naturally suspension and drivline will need some thought..
Thinking C.V joints...
Agreed, I think the chassis is the least of their worries.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

With an enginbe like that they will have to build a decent drivetrain for a change, so that rules that out.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #21
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
With an enginbe like that they will have to build a decent drivetrain for a change, so that rules that out.
agreed their last strong driveline was top loader/fmx and 9" combo. now we have zf and irs spaghetty driveline rear end

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If an E.B can ? I'm sure the new chassis will???
I'm separating suspension and driveline though...
Like I said most cars in this category are ecu torque limited...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
Since when??

V8 supercars would net Ford barely anything i'd think, I heard rumours they were thinking of pulling out though I don't believe it.

And if it's in luxury sedans, why have the LWB's been cut?
Go have a look at the options pricing for a Porsche and you will see how much profit is in luxury cars ($5000 dollar floor mats).

All fleet sales do to the Falcon is destroy resale and brand image where the Falcon is seen as a taxi. In reality a BWW doesn't cost anymore to build than a Falcon but people are willing to pay a lot more for a BMW.

Also the performance market is very lucrative.
In the past 5 years (during a fuel crisis) the number of V8's sold in Australia has doubled!

Ford dropped the LWB models because they didn't invest enough in them so were buried by Holden in sales.

Taxis give the volume.
XR's give the profit.
Old 27-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
881Nm is way too much torque for a performance car...look at the Brabus S Roadster (6.3L V12 TT). They had to reduce torque from 1000 to 811Nm because it was too much for the chassis and the TC couldn't handle it...apparently it's still too much.

We don't need a Twin turbo 6.2L V8 to compete with HSV...just dropping the new 6.2L into the new Falcons would be enough to easily take on the General's 6.0L LS2's.

Wikipedia says the 6.2L 'BOSS' motors will make 317kW & 576Nm (very conservative)...with a mild tune and decent headers, they should make 350kW & 600Nm no problem.

That's more than enough to take on the current VE GTS (307kW/550Nm) and probably even the 7.0L LS7's if HSV ever introduce those to an Aussie model...
man i am so sick of hearing this argument . most people know that the boss 290 does take on the currant 6L ls2.. they are within a poofteenth of each other.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
Powdered Toast Man

Quote:
Go have a look at the options pricing for a Porsche and you will see how much profit is in luxury cars ($5000 dollar floor mats).

All fleet sales do to the Falcon is destroy resale and brand image where the Falcon is seen as a taxi. In reality a BWW doesn't cost anymore to build than a Falcon but people are willing to pay a lot more for a BMW.

In the past 5 years (during a fuel crisis) the number of V8's sold in Australia has doubled!

Ford dropped the LWB models because they didn't invest enough in them so were buried by Holden in sales.

Taxis give the volume.
XR's give the profit.
You will find that Holden would have to drop the Statesman if they didnt export it. They dont sell enough LWB cars here either; but true they did sell more than Ford. Now if Ford US had actually let Oz export the Fairlane as a Crown Vic replacement.....

The luxury car argument only works if people thought of them as luxury cars. BMW and Mercedes have excellent build and quality reputaions as well as having the newest technology. Ford are considered cheap and reasonable quality and built that way, so much would have to change in thinking for Ford to be able to sell enough luxury and sports models to balance the books.

I assume you do realise that BMWs are used as taxis and are available as stripped out povity packs in europe? BMWs and Mercs are the Holdens and Fords of Germany. It's just we get well optioned models here because they are marketed as luxury cars.

Not picking on your thinking because obviously technically you are correct. But I dont think it's as easy as mearly selling up spec versions and reaping the benefits.

Old 28-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Taxis give the volume.
XR's give the profit.
Yes, but Ford isn't Porsche. Porsche's are built to a much higher standard then our domestics, and Ford doesn't have the money (nor the market) to just build a luxury performance car that will sell.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post