Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Default 40th Anniversary GT - How much were they resold for?

Thought it would be interesting to know much the 40th Anniversary (Black/Gold Stripe) GTs were resold for.

If anyone knows for sure what $$ the vehicles were resold for, please post here (please, factual info only - no rumours. I know some were offered on eBay for $100K, but did they ever sell for that price ??)

I see a Perth one was sold for $86K through Muscle Car sales http://www.australianmusclecarsales....cle_view/96927

BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
BadMac
I still have both eyes

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...ist&key=346822

Bids at $90k and not within 15% of reserve (so at least $103.5k).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
I see a Perth one was sold for $86K through Muscle Car sales http://www.australianmusclecarsales....cle_view/96927
What it 'says' it sold for there on that site for has no basis in fact at all. That was the asking price, and the car now shows as sold, most cars for sale dont sell for the asking price.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970
What it 'says' it sold for there on that site for has no basis in fact at all. That was the asking price, and the car now shows as sold, most cars for sale dont sell for the asking price.
So what are you saying. It sold for more or less than $86K? You seem to be saying it sold for less but are basing this on a personal view.
Old 24-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

This one is interesting. Seems this seller tried for over $100K and had bids of $100.1K) but chose to hang out for more. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-FPV-GT-4...QQcmdZViewItem

It was then relisted with a starting bid amount of $80K but this time received no bids. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160142790403

Maybe the planned release of the Cobra GT killed demand for the 40th Anniversary GT??
Old 24-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

What I am saying is forget that price figure written down on that ad. That was the asking price only.
If you were looking at buying a car, (not including old falcon gt's/charger r/t's/monaro gts' and torana's) would you pay asking price straight up? I doubt it, you would try to bargain the owner to some extent. How much you get depends on several factors, most notably how good you are at bargaining and how well you talk to the owner.
They NEVER have shown the actual sale price of ANY car on that site.

The 40anniversary GT was a token attempt by FPV to increase waning sales figures, the Cobra will most likely be the same deal. Slap on diffrent wheels, diffrent stripes and rely on a 20 year old sales concept to sell old hat out classed cars (BF vs HSV range).
Incidently the Cobra was a failiure sales wise in the beginning, and at Bathurst the 1/2 finish was made in xb gt's with xc panel work (which is what they are basing this car on, the 20th anniversary of the 1/2 finish), and in 78 the Cobra failed dismally at bathurst too. The cobra was never a GT, and only had 2 doors, not 4. The EB cobras were done by dealers, so dont count in this as factory examples.

FPV need to build better cars just to acheive a parity with HSV, not just slap on a half ar$ed striping kit and biffrent wheels.
Old 25-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970
What I am saying is forget that price figure written down on that ad. That was the asking price only.
If you were looking at buying a car, (not including old falcon gt's/charger r/t's/monaro gts' and torana's) would you pay asking price straight up? I doubt it, you would try to bargain the owner to some extent. How much you get depends on several factors, most notably how good you are at bargaining and how well you talk to the owner.
They NEVER have shown the actual sale price of ANY car on that site.

The 40anniversary GT was a token attempt by FPV to increase waning sales figures, the Cobra will most likely be the same deal. Slap on diffrent wheels, diffrent stripes and rely on a 20 year old sales concept to sell old hat out classed cars (BF vs HSV range).
Incidently the Cobra was a failiure sales wise in the beginning, and at Bathurst the 1/2 finish was made in xb gt's with xc panel work (which is what they are basing this car on, the 20th anniversary of the 1/2 finish), and in 78 the Cobra failed dismally at bathurst too. The cobra was never a GT, and only had 2 doors, not 4. The EB cobras were done by dealers, so dont count in this as factory examples.

FPV need to build better cars just to acheive a parity with HSV, not just slap on a half ar$ed striping kit and biffrent wheels.
Well the site is a better guide than just a rumour on what they resold for. Given there were bids on eBay in excess of $100K around the time the one was offered for $86K, I'd say the price was equalled or bettered.

Whether you like the 40th Anniversary or not (and from your post, you don't) plenty of other people did and the limited numbers (200) were sold very quickly. FPV is very aware of their sales success and thus decided to try again with the Cobra. These vehicles will also sell quickly. What people overlook is that the XY GTHOs, Chargers, Torana XU1s did not become highly sought after and traded at insane prices until 30 years later. The demand for collectable Muscle Cars has caused increased sales in standard FPV GTs as well as special edition versions. The question is, what will these special editions be worth after 6 months or a year.

The latest Holdens are marketing hype. They might have a great engine - but thats about it. Their build quality is very poor. Holden build quality has always been poor. I have a BF MkII GT and a brand new WM Caprice. Both Feb 2007 delivery. The GT is far superior to the Caprice in build quality. The Caprice has had a string of quality issues (component failures, bits falling off, key failures, battery failures, electrical problems, clunky noisey ride) as well as a totally pathetic 6sp auto. The LS1 forum shows the extent of the problems.

The GT is a joy to drive, the Caprice is a major disappointment. Holden may have spent over $1B on developing the new Holdens but it wasn't money well spent.

Anyway - back to the thread topic. What did the 40th Anniversay GTs resell for??
Old 25-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I don't think it is my place to disclose the price but I know of one that has been sold & I see no reason why the AMCS car wouldn't have sold at that price. I don't doubt there was one $100k sale but I would be surprised if there were too many more at that price.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I would buy one of these over the Cobra, the 40th Anniversary will be more rare and will look nice with some gold simmons wheels. When they become cheaper, which they will in the short term, I might buy one. The Cobra is rumured to be a Cobra "302", 302kw is hardly a hike worthy of making it more valueable than the GT 40th Anniversary.

I had money to waste I would pay a premium to buy an unmolested GT 40th, but I would prefer to wait a few years.
Old 25-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Anyone who beleives whats written on that site as 100% factual must know the real Mark 'Chopper' Reid and his funny motto of Never Let the truth Get in the Way of a Good Story.

Don't beleive what ever is just put there in front of your face, just like you can't beleive everything you read from magazines.
Old 25-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #11
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

Agreed, we all know of cars from that site which have sold for considerably less tahn the ask, yet when they slip across to the sold pages, the price disappears and most people assume that it sold for the top dollar.
Only smart if your in that game, to allow everyone to believe that everything sells for what it's listed at.
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
GK351

And dont go by ebay price's + bids.
Most of it is bullcrap

I cant beleive some people fall for all the hype.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone notice on that 100.1k gt40 the guy pulled on ebay, he says its number 1 of 112 but on the build plate it says 116.. wtf
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
So what are you saying. It sold for more or less than $86K? You seem to be saying it sold for less but are basing this on a personal view.
That's right, we found my old car on AMCS and it was listed at 11k, we got it for 7.75k and AMCS still lists it as sold
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #15
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
anyone notice on that 100.1k gt40 the guy pulled on ebay, he says its number 1 of 112 but on the build plate it says 116.. wtf
he said 112 manuals were made, that manual just happened to be the 116th car rolled out thats all.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #16
nemo1
Starter Motor

There's one for sale now on Australian Muscle Car website - Sydney car for $93,000, relucant sale.

http://www.australianmusclecarsales....le_view/101520
nemo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post