Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Would like some advice/help with trailer info

Well as some might now im making a move south to Tassie late July. I have a heap of stuff I was going to sell; problem there is I will loose alot of money as its all pretty much new, and Im finding it hard enough to shift without discounting it further. Things like fridge, tallboy, queen size bed, washing machine etc.

So Ive been thinking about getting a trailer, so I can pack all my stuff and Ferry it across. Ive moved house like 4 times in the last 4 years so I probably should have gotten one sooner.

Anyway, I have NFI on costs, and what I should be looking for. Any advice would be great. Do I need a caged one if I am taking a fridge as its pretty high?

While it might cost a bit in the short term, I guess I might save in the long run if I move again, not to mention the expense of buying new stuff and then selling the old.

Any links would be great. I guess I would prefer something second hand as that will cut costs.

Thanks!

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 13-06-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Car trailer is a good buy .
you can use it all the time then or even hire it out to help with a bit of money if you have to .
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

ive seen trailers go for peanuts on ebay and in the trader, like $1-$200, and if you need to take big stuff, just weld a couple of slots in the corners that you can slot a couple of steel poles to (so they can be removed when you dont need em) then you can tie any tall stuff (like a fridge) to them, wrap a couple of tarps around them to keep it enclosed or anything you need.
Old 13-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would actually suggest phoning one of the removalist companies, like Watkins removals. It cost a heap to take a trailer on the boat. Call TT line and ask for a costing on a car plus trailer - it hurts.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I would actually suggest phoning one of the removalist companies, like Watkins removals. It cost a heap to take a trailer on the boat. Call TT line and ask for a costing on a car plus trailer - it hurts.
Really? They have a $89 one way deal on at the moment, ill have to double check.

I cant imagine freight being much cheaper for all the items above.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

My bro sells trailers but they are good ones and not cheap.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Car trailer is a good buy .
you can use it all the time then or even hire it out to help with a bit of money if you have to .
Agree with all bar the hiring bit, if you take someone's money for use of the trailer and they have an accident due to a trailer problem - you're in it deep.
A car trailer is also a ***** to store...

But yeah, once you have a trailer (say a box trailer) you wonder how you ever coped without it.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Skooter

I reckon get a cheapie box trailer, maybe a tandem with mesh cages on the sides so you can fill it to the brim with crap then wrap the whole thing in tarps and you'll be sweet. Like those ones you see at the servo. Maybe buy an ex hire trailer, they gota be cheap, then buy a new set of hubs and bearings as these are about the only thing that breaks other than the lights, and you'll have a cheap usable trailer.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The $89 on the boat will be for a car only, no trailer included in that. Definitely check costs of a removalist or even freight company if you can drop the stuff to a depot
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you are going to buy a trailer, find out the costs of registering it compared to size.

In NSW, if memory serves there is 1 base rego price for trailers under 250kg, then above this there is a higher cost as the weight factors into the rego.

My dad got a new heavy duty trailer thats 4x7 that has the cheaper base model rego. I think he could have gone to a 4x8 or 5x7 as the biggest size before it passed 250kg.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If you are going to buy a trailer, find out the costs of registering it compared to size.

In NSW, if memory serves there is 1 base rego price for trailers under 250kg, then above this there is a higher cost as the weight factors into the rego.

My dad got a new heavy duty trailer thats 4x7 that has the cheaper base model rego. I think he could have gone to a 4x8 or 5x7 as the biggest size before it passed 250kg.
Thanks again guys.

Im pretty sure in VIC you dont need to register a trailer, well thats what I have gathered from ebay as every one thats for sale in VIC states it.

What should I be looking at spending? Its seems minimum $200-300, and thats for something that doesn't look so great.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in vic you've got to register a trailer if it's loaded capacity is over 250kg. Under 250kg you're exempt.

I looked at second hand trailers for ages. They are all either totally rooted, or they want so close to new price.

If you're after a price range, i bought a heavy duty full chequerplate 10x5 ft tandem from Sparks - (did some homework and the prices vary bugger all so was easier just to buy local, as much as i cant stand sparks!) with second hand 16 inch falcon rims and second hand tyres, swing down jockey wheel and rego for $2400

In my opinion, $200 - $300 will buy you someone elses problem that they dont want anymore. Buy a new 1 or a good 1 and look after it, you-ll get 10 - 20 years out of it.

Or i can sell ya a 18 month old spotless silver 7x4 westcoast trailer for $550 ;-)
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got 4 trailers registered, 2 tandems, a tri axle and a single axle, think it cost me about $160 for the year for all 4. Motorbike cost me $330 and it gets used half as much!
Old 14-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Really? They have a $89 one way deal on at the moment, ill have to double check.

I cant imagine freight being much cheaper for all the items above.
OK, now the $89 one way is on certain days only, not all the time. It may only be for traveling as a passenger, but not including the car. The trailer bit will still cost an arm and a leg! Cars are subsidised by the federal government (freight equalisation subsidy of $150 per car), but trailers are not - so expect to pay through the nose. call 1800 634 906 for booking info.

So costs are:
$89 as a passenger
$79 for the car if under 5m long, or $121 if over
$150 (subsidy amount) plus $79 for the trailer
Adds up pretty soon doesn't it?

As for rego costs for trailers in Tas - they all pretty much cost the same regardless of size or weight capacity. I think it is around $80 per year. I pay the same for my car trailer as I do for my small box trailer.
Old 14-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
in vic you've got to register a trailer if it's loaded capacity is over 250kg. Under 250kg you're exempt.

I looked at second hand trailers for ages. They are all either totally rooted, or they want so close to new price.

If you're after a price range, i bought a heavy duty full chequerplate 10x5 ft tandem from Sparks - (did some homework and the prices vary bugger all so was easier just to buy local, as much as i cant stand sparks!) with second hand 16 inch falcon rims and second hand tyres, swing down jockey wheel and rego for $2400

In my opinion, $200 - $300 will buy you someone elses problem that they dont want anymore. Buy a new 1 or a good 1 and look after it, you-ll get 10 - 20 years out of it.

Or i can sell ya a 18 month old spotless silver 7x4 westcoast trailer for $550 ;-)
Have you got an pics of the trailer? I pay cash cash...LOL Seriously though, Im interested. I dont want to buy a POS.

Ive found this place aswell, seems reasonable.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminf...+%26+Trailers_

And another but my bookmark died, ill find the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
OK, now the $89 one way is on certain days only, not all the time. It may only be for traveling as a passenger, but not including the car. The trailer bit will still cost an arm and a leg! Cars are subsidised by the federal government (freight equalisation subsidy of $150 per car), but trailers are not - so expect to pay through the nose. call 1800 634 906 for booking info.

So costs are:
$89 as a passenger
$79 for the car if under 5m long, or $121 if over
$150 (subsidy amount) plus $79 for the trailer
Adds up pretty soon doesn't it?

As for rego costs for trailers in Tas - they all pretty much cost the same regardless of size or weight capacity. I think it is around $80 per year. I pay the same for my car trailer as I do for my small box trailer.
GOD! This is such a rip! Ill give them a call now :(
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GOD! This is such a rip! Ill give them a call now :([/QUOTE]

Yep. I bought an XA coupe in Adelaide. travel for 2 adults, car and car trailer return was $1270! If I had a low caravan of the same length it would have been $970. Welcome to the national highway rip-off. At least there are no speed cameras in Bass Strait!
Old 14-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The top just unbolts with 4 bolts. Chasing $950 for the lot, or $550 for the trailer and $500 for the top to split it up. Would come with 14 inch steel wheels with GC tyres, or for an extra $100 i could organise some steel 17 inch territory rims. *see below

*Same rims as on the motorbike trailer
Old 14-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
meg

price up a shipping container, my olds moved to mackay from sydney and used one. they bought it outright and trucked it up, now use it as a storage shed.
meg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

schmidty, that looks alright. ~$600 all up is alot, ill hunt around but I do like it, I dont need the top half though. If you want to do a deal of some sort send me a PM.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you end up buying a trailer and bringing it to Tas, I have a friend who would be interested in buying it when you get here.