Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do? Multiple choices allowed.
Take a leaf out of Mitsubishi/Nissan books and become an importer only. 13 8.61%
Retain the Falcon platform for as long as possible and do whatever refreshes the budget allows. 84 55.63%
Find a replacement for Falcon/Territory in the global portfolio. 53 35.10%
Something else. 25 16.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
max_torq
From the Futura

Default Re: Ford and the Future - your say...

I'd release the new Mondeo as the Fusion, stress its global origins and technology and try to make it a competitive core product. Bring in a hybrid version for the fleets.

Import the Mustang, even if that means banging on a lot of doors in dearborn.

Push Ranger and smaller SUV, as well as the small cars seem to be doing okay. Produce FPV stripe and engine versions.

Produce the Falcon and Territory as Heritage models. Just one G6 spec model, and vast option lists, made to order, no new investment and sell them until the engines run out. Territory can linger on with tech upgrades until replaced by a Ranger wagon.

Try to design/build a local niche car... a AWD fusion coupe (capri) as an FT-86 competitor as the new hero car.

Basically, modernise and liven up the image of Ford a bit (lots of colours, stripes and exciting option lists)... so buying a Ford is fun.

Last edited by max_torq; 05-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not what I would like to do , but being cold and calculating(guesswork)
not knowing the actual costings, but taking a punt, I,d say it,s an uphill battle to keep the local cars running and competive as the US bean counters it would appear don't want to fork out significant $$$$ to non US arms for plant work/upgrade and local product funding as they have their own balance to look after, and as Australia is a business headache, I think I would close local operations,
import everything, wear a bit of bad stigma for a while closing down plants and jobs, build it in asia , then import, import, import.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Either offer a budget entry level FPV, around 40 grand or bring back XR8 at the same price point. Make XR6 the base model Falcon. The XT just looks so plain and completely uninspiring, no wonder it won't sell. Let's face it, people want a great looking car at any price.

And get a new wheel designer at Ford, someone who understands how much diameter, dish, tyre profile and suspension height has on the appearance and thus APPEAL of a car! The XT looks terrible on those ugly little wheels.

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq View Post
.....Produce the Falcon and Territory as Heritage models. Just one G6 spec model, and vast option lists, made to order, no new investment and sell them until the engines run out. Territory can linger on with tech upgrades until replaced by a Ranger wagon.......
I am starting to think the "problem" with the Falcon & Territory is, is LESS about the sliding sales AND MORE about the investment to keep upgrading the platforms???

So, if we are to assume that they will be forced out of production due to this, i cant see a problem with maintaining this current platform for the next decade as long as on specs/performance it keeps matching the competition. Let Ford Aus save/cut cost on development by salvaging as much tech/engineering from the global parts bin and only build saleable models. That way its bugger all to keep the constant restyle coming, and also allows the development of some "out there" vehicles at very little development.

Here is an idea: yesterday at the dealership, the sun hit my eye and i started squinting at the front end of the current territory. It kind of looks like that image of the FU falcon that Ford announced at the motor show, everyone said it looked either Mustang or Mondeo. To me i got no problens if the Falcon has the front of the Territory grafted on. Of course, not so big on the bumpers, but lights and grill being the same would sure as hell save heaps of money. The Territory realy is the Falcon Wagon anyway, so i dont see the problem on the Territory being the (taller) wagon of the Falco . I think the current Territory front end has a better chance of being made aggressive (sports models) and also stylish (luxury) models better than the current Falcon.

Last edited by Thunder; 05-03-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the current falcon is a good car and the buyers don't seem to care about technology if that was the case they would buy a mondeo, they want the size and the name. I buy falcons (second hand) because they are reliable and cheap to fix and there is a huge enthusiest following, probably because they are RWD and aussie
keep the current platform for another 10 years and update the looks and maybe sell them with 1 or 2 models (XR/G6) with a huge option list and make them on demand.
update the model name more often so people think they are getting a new car not just a mark 2 of the old model
bring on the US models too as fully imported and include the mustang
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #36
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whether ford keeps falcon or not, it'll be painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
an advert, where an old American Ford worker recalls how he "...built Mustangs and sent them to Oustraylia, and fifty years later, those Oussies, sent it back bigger, better, with 2 more doors, better handling, and more power.....
You do know they made the Falcon in the USA until 1970? (not that it makes any difference)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post

You do know they made the Falcon in the USA until 1970? (not that it makes any difference)
yes but the falcon was started here in 1960
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post

The American Falcon died off into obscurity not long after it was developed there.......and was layed to rest in places like mexico.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #39
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Wow - this is great - and demands quite a long winded explanation from me which will no doubt have errors in logic.... But - that is why it is a Hypothetical.

1) Kill the Mondeo in Australia.
It is the middle piece between the Focus and the Falcon - which I believe may be detrimental to both. Without the Mondeo - it forces those who need the space into the Falcon, and it forces those to need the small/med convenience into a Focus. Sure - it forces them to consider other brands and cars (like the Camry, the Cruze, or the Mazda 6, etc) But with my new Marketing/Sales campaign (See #X) proving that the Falcon is as versatile, as modern, but better than all others on the market, that shouldn't create too many headaches.

2) Locally produce the Focus.
Now that the Mondeo is gone and the demand for Small cars is so big - my pen-pushers will find a financially viable way of making this work.
(Using VFACTS Feb 2013 - nearly 20,000 small cars were sold in Feb, which is the same as the combined total for Light, Medium, and Large Cars)
Need to focus (pardon the pun) on securing some turnover and some sales figures from the Small Car Segment - to ensure there is funding to invest in other projects

3) Invest Funding into V8SC Racing Team.
Factory backing a Race Team shows passion and confidence in your brand, in your product, and in your customers. Sure - the Race Sunday / Buy Monday mantra is gone, but I would think that from the investment in the Falcon based race cars, you would see a return in a more loyal buying group who have grown up with a passion for performance 4-door Sedans - NOT sports cars. Probably not priority #3, but because it is fresh in my mind (because the racing was on over the weekend - which is exactly my point to investing in the V8SC to help build positive brand awareness and recognition) I've put it at #3

4) Develop a Large SUV for the Australian Market.
Think Landcruiser / Patrol. Once a family outgrows a Ford Territory - where do they go within the Ford Brand? I would look into the development for a Large SUV based on something between the The Everest, The Expedition, The Excursion, The Explorer, and the F-Series range, to make a Large flexible 7-8 seat SUV. Perhaps a proper 4x4/off road version, and a 'soccer mum' version.
(VFACTS for Feb 2013 says that nearly 10,000 LARGE SUV were sold in the Month of Feb - more than the Medium and Large car segment combined).

5) Develop the FPV Brand further.
We've had a few disappointing cars from FPV in the way of sales (not quality - to all those owners out there with their blades and flames ready for me).
I'd think that a Locally Produced FPV Focus would need to be considered (Based on the ST), as well as a RH/D Mustang to be produced under the FPV brand.
I'd delete the GS - leaving the door open for #6.

6) Bring back the XR8.
Sure - it probably won't sell heaps - but the bits and pieces are already here, and essentially left over after the deletion of the GS. But I feel it is a necessary option to have in the lineup.

7) Export locally made cars.
So - the Americans want to sell the Fusion at home. I get that. So lets go elsewhere.
Territory and Falcon to the UAE, Focus (locally assembled) to be the hub for Focus sales Globally (outside of inner Europe - because then they'll have a major issue).

8) Ranger to tackle the Hilux to be king of the Commercial Vehicle Sector.
Simple. Make it the best.

9) Invest in a locally based Production Touring Car series - based on the Focus.
Think TOCA Touring Cars. Push Holden to race Cruze, as well as introduce Madza, Nissan, and anyone else who has a similar 'sporty' Small/Medium vehicle. It would tour with V8 Supercars as a secondary series (not the feature) and would have at least 2 x stand alone events away from the V8 SC (IE: when they travel overseas).
Think of the British Touring Car Scene - but with a Local feel.

10) Take a holiday.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #40
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Geez everything is so easy. I wish Ford could come up with these ideas (not directed at anyone in particular).
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Let's just pretend that you have been handed the job (or poisoned chalice) currently occupied by Bob Graziano as President and CEO of Ford Australia.

You have:

- struggling Falcon sales across the range but a Territory that is mostly holding it's own in the market but which depends on the Falcon for the platform; Start selling Ecoboost 4 Falcons for $26,990, and build a few thousand of them for 2013 stock (so people can actually drive them). You need to build this car to a price point for it to work, its got to be Camry money. Make G6 model $29,990 (with extra safety of reverse camera etc for fleets).

- a Focus that is improving sales but which operates in a fickle and fashion conscious market segment; Try to get a better lean on stock, especially on models like Trend. Possibly try and option alloys on base model and price point at $19990 drive away.

- ditto the Fiesta; Fiesta CL Manual needs to be $14,990 drive away.

- a Mondeo that is struggling even more than the Falcon while it holds almost a non existent percentage of the segment; Shelve it till new model next year, nothing you can do with the current out dated car in its current market.

- a Ranger that has doubled sales during the last 12 months and which looks to be going strong for the foreseeable future Stock... try and get more Auto XLT's out of Thailand, hugely understocked and hard to get.

- a Transit range that has slipped from a major player in the segment to another also ran More competitive deals on new updated model transit. Possibly a cheaper finance rate of 3.9 % to ABN holders.

- a dead (and unlamented) Escape, an overpriced Kuga but the promise of a better one coming. Kuga is coming, not much you can do till it comes. Will be let down by a shortage.

You've also got FPV in your portfolio although you probably aren't sure what to do with it and no real budget for any major development work although that is offset by having access to the global Ford product pool. Bring out another sticker pack (based on the R Spec) but potentially a 10 year anniversary model. Go crazy with it, 6 pot Brembos standard, 275 rears, R Spec suspension, P seats, E memory pack and price it at $80,000 drive away with a limited build of 500 units. Use the intercooled front bumper and delete foglamps (as per initial black edition). Paint it a 1 off colour, possibly a retro colour. Also build 250 utes in another hero colour (not the same) but give them 275 rears, brembo brakes up front and also the intercooled bumper. Also make hardcover standard as well as spoiler, and name it Super Pursuit.

Let's just assume, for the purpose of this exercise, that you can't get funding/approval/support to produce another Falcon -

So what would you do?

Cheers
Russ
See above in red.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 05-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
leighm

Ford will do what the market dictates, end of story That is also what I want them to do as it is the only way to remain competitive. You can influence markets but you cannot control them when you're just another player.
leighm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few ideas.

1) a new beginning
Rebadge the Ecoboost Falcon as Mondeo/Cortina/Giraffe/JellyBean/whatever and sell it directly AGAINST Falcon. The "JellyBean" would need to be visually slightly different to the Falcon but the core systems would be the same.
This is exacly what Toyota do with the Aurion and Camry and while they are exactly the same size with theonly technical difference being the engine, Aurion is a large car and Camry is a medium car.
In one swoop any "Falcon is too old/big/uneconomic/uncool" negativity is defeated.

2) a fleetmobile
Withdraw all Falcon and G series from government fleets and make a dedicate "fleetmobile" that is specifically designed for the purpose.
The Police fleetmobile set with hard points, remote locking/opening doors, dedicated mounting points for all the gizmos, redesigned seating etc. set up for "bat belts", extra cooling for long times at idle and extra fuel capacity for longer range.
The "public servant" fleetmobile with small economic engine, comfortable cloth seats, built in satnav tracking with back to base capability.
The Taxi fleetmobile with dedicated LPG, heavy duty drive train, built in satnav tracking, hardpoints for driver protection devices and completely water proof interior that can be hosed out.

To make this work the Governments would have to be involved and although it would save money and help the car industry some public servants believe they deserve luxury at tax payers expense.

The fleetmobiles cannot be registered for private use and would be used in their primary role for their designed lifespan e.g. 250,000km or 10 years except for taxis which may be 500,000km or 5 years.
The fleet operators must buy fleetmobiles except for special purposes e.g. in the case of Police, HP, dog squad or remote etc.
This would potentially give us an export market to various similar groups in other countries.

3) a joint venture
Other parts of the world are in a similar situation to us. How about, for example, the Euro factory also makes falcons and the primary enginaring is shared.
e.g. (and this is just a hypothetical so don't arc up if part of it is not possible for some reason) the I6 and SC V8 are built here and exported in boxes to Europe. The chassis and electronics are built in Europe and exported here. Panels and plastics are made in both places to suit local market and final assemply is done at the local site.
Nett result is that more engines will be built lowering costs. Australia does not need to worry about the electronic widgets and lets "ze chermans" sort it. As the chassis is shared it will also cost less to build.

So we end up with to completely different identical model ranges that cost less to make, employ more people and increase the market.

The car market is echoed in the phone market. Once phones were for making calls and NOKIA was the industry leader. BMWs etc actually had built in Nokia cradles that directly connected the phone to their ICC.
Then the smartphone revolution hit and NOKIA rather foolishly thought they would set the trend and others would follow. Apple did not agree but thought similarly that they were the center of the universe. Google made android and let anyone play with it and Samsung saw an opportunity.
Right now there are a few rabid Nokia supporters and a lot of rabid Apple supporters but android have allowed Samsun to take the lead and a plethora of others to follow in their wake.

In the same way Ford and Falcon must evolve and seek out new markets or they will become history instead of making it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #44
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just taking Russells post and quoting from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
You have:

- struggling Falcon sales across the range but a Territory that is mostly holding it's own in the market but which depends on the Falcon for the platform;
If you couldnt get the funding for Falcon look at redesigning the Territory on its own platform, it may have come from Falcon but can be modified for its own purpose

- a Focus that is improving sales but which operates in a fickle and fashion conscious market segment;
Promote it as an all round car, its quite a bit bulkier than when it first hit our shores and families do use it as their own "family mover". The downside to this is stock so look at increasing production in Thailand, if the factory cannot take it bring it here

- ditto the Fiesta;
The problem with Fiesta is image. Again its seen as a "chick's car" so try and promote it otherwise. Bring in bloody Ken Block if you have to.

- a Mondeo that is struggling even more than the Falcon while it holds almost a non existent percentage of the segment;
Bin it. The money spent here importing it then can be reinvested in designing and developing Falcon and could reinvigorate the vehicle. The Mondeo size wise is very close to a Falcon so why have two cars on offer in the same segment when they both are not selling? This will also force the hand of buyers who would have settled on a Mondeo to choose power and room (Falcon) or compact and frugal (Focus)

- a Ranger that has doubled sales during the last 12 months and which looks to be going strong for the foreseeable future
Keep it going as it now as the ute is a bloody ripper machine. Possibly grab another factory or bring down under to build.

- a Transit range that has slipped from a major player in the segment to another also ran
Do the research as to why everyone is going to Sprinters, Hiaces and change up the Transit to suit

- a dead (and unlamented) Escape, an overpriced Kuga but the promise of a better one coming.
Is this style of car really needed when the Territory does the job and then some in better comfort?

You've also got FPV in your portfolio although you probably aren't sure what to do with it and no real budget for any major development work although that is offset by having access to the global Ford product pool.
See what parts you could get your hands on from the Mustang and use them to keep the performance arm going.
The other thing is that Ford has a world class in car system in Ford SYNC. So have it developed here as the hard work is already done in creating the system, just fit it in our vehicles here.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The only real solution is to convince Detroit to revive Global RWD, develop all the different versions here and adapt it for Falcon and Territory.

Its the only way Falcon has a chance to last beyond 2016/17/18 or whenever it will be.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
A few ideas.

1) a new beginning
Rebadge the Ecoboost Falcon as Mondeo/Cortina/Giraffe/JellyBean/whatever and sell it directly AGAINST Falcon. The "JellyBean" would need to be visually slightly different to the Falcon but the core systems would be the same.
This is exacly what Toyota do with the Aurion and Camry and while they are exactly the same size with theonly technical difference being the engine, Aurion is a large car and Camry is a medium car.
In one swoop any "Falcon is too old/big/uneconomic/uncool" negativity is defeated.

2) a fleetmobile
Withdraw all Falcon and G series from government fleets and make a dedicate "fleetmobile" that is specifically designed for the purpose.
The Police fleetmobile set with hard points, remote locking/opening doors, dedicated mounting points for all the gizmos, redesigned seating etc. set up for "bat belts", extra cooling for long times at idle and extra fuel capacity for longer range.
The "public servant" fleetmobile with small economic engine, comfortable cloth seats, built in satnav tracking with back to base capability.
The Taxi fleetmobile with dedicated LPG, heavy duty drive train, built in satnav tracking, hardpoints for driver protection devices and completely water proof interior that can be hosed out.

To make this work the Governments would have to be involved and although it would save money and help the car industry some public servants believe they deserve luxury at tax payers expense.

The fleetmobiles cannot be registered for private use and would be used in their primary role for their designed lifespan e.g. 250,000km or 10 years except for taxis which may be 500,000km or 5 years.
The fleet operators must buy fleetmobiles except for special purposes e.g. in the case of Police, HP, dog squad or remote etc.
This would potentially give us an export market to various similar groups in other countries.

3) a joint venture
Other parts of the world are in a similar situation to us. How about, for example, the Euro factory also makes falcons and the primary enginaring is shared.
e.g. (and this is just a hypothetical so don't arc up if part of it is not possible for some reason) the I6 and SC V8 are built here and exported in boxes to Europe. The chassis and electronics are built in Europe and exported here. Panels and plastics are made in both places to suit local market and final assemply is done at the local site.
Nett result is that more engines will be built lowering costs. Australia does not need to worry about the electronic widgets and lets "ze chermans" sort it. As the chassis is shared it will also cost less to build.

So we end up with to completely different identical model ranges that cost less to make, employ more people and increase the market.

The car market is echoed in the phone market. Once phones were for making calls and NOKIA was the industry leader. BMWs etc actually had built in Nokia cradles that directly connected the phone to their ICC.
Then the smartphone revolution hit and NOKIA rather foolishly thought they would set the trend and others would follow. Apple did not agree but thought similarly that they were the center of the universe. Google made android and let anyone play with it and Samsung saw an opportunity.
Right now there are a few rabid Nokia supporters and a lot of rabid Apple supporters but android have allowed Samsun to take the lead and a plethora of others to follow in their wake.

In the same way Ford and Falcon must evolve and seek out new markets or they will become history instead of making it.
They dont need to rebadge the Ecoboost... They just need to make XT Ecoboost only and price accordingly. Its still far too dear for what it is (regardless of how much they are on carsales for). Fleet buyers are the ones who need to be targeted. I agree about a fleet hack pack, make the XT that car. All it needs is a few extras like reverse camera, factory fire extinguisher, daytime running lamps and full size alloy spare. Make it stand out with regards to WHS. Give buyers the option of column shift (taxi) and a rubber floor. They still do it with utes so it cannot be impossible on sedans!

Back when FG was released Ford gave certain markets the finger, maybe its time to try and take them back. Its not hard because they still build a very reliable product.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
They dont need to rebadge the Ecoboost... They just need to make XT Ecoboost only and price accordingly. Its still far too dear for what it is (regardless of how much they are on carsales for). Fleet buyers are the ones who need to be targeted. I agree about a fleet hack pack, make the XT that car. All it needs is a few extras like reverse camera, factory fire extinguisher, daytime running lamps and full size alloy spare. Make it stand out with regards to WHS. Give buyers the option of column shift (taxi) and a rubber floor. They still do it with utes so it cannot be impossible on sedans!

Back when FG was released Ford gave certain markets the finger, maybe its time to try and take them back. Its not hard because they still build a very reliable product.
No I think you are missing the point of the rebadging. It does not matter how amazing it is if it has a Falcon badge then it is a Falcon and to those who for whatever reason do not like Falcon will not even bother looking at it.

The "new" car is a medium sized 4 cylinder Australain made family vehicle not one of those petrol eating eco unfriendly Falcons.......

If you don't think rebadging works compare the number of Daewoos sold before and after the Holden badge was attached.

Or maybe the market share of LG compared to Goldstar.

There was a thread recently about the "social standing" of a Mercedes badge on a bubble car. Market perception has nothing to do with reality.

As a side note, how does anyone think the Territory would have gone if it was the named the "Falcon AWD Wagon"......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #48
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
..........Rebadge the Ecoboost Falcon as Mondeo/Cortina/Giraffe/JellyBean/whatever and sell it directly AGAINST Falcon. The "JellyBean" would need to be visually slightly different to the Falcon but the core systems would be the same.
This is exacly what Toyota do with the Aurion and Camry and while they are exactly the same size with theonly technical difference being the engine, Aurion is a large car and Camry is a medium car.............
The Holden Epica failed, but the Cruze seems like a winner. I think flappists idea has merit. The rear of the Falcon doesent appear too long, so i would only cut down the nose 6 inches, perfect for Ecoboost and find a Ford global 4 cylinder diesel. Style it in a non offensive (like a bland toyota) and it might do well. Helping this could be the need in the UK for upper mid sized RWD cars for Ford Europe to take on the likes of the C-class and 3 series...............Cortina?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Maybe the Falcon won't survive without the Territory.

Really, why could production of a Territory not continue without production of a Falcon?

Because Territory is based on Falcon? So?
Um .... because the thread is about hypothetical s and in the current state of sales, and with out knowing the cut off point between profit and not ...... takeing 1000 plus units off the production line per month would seem not to be a healthy position? Other reasons as well but that will do for now

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The only real solution is to convince Detroit to revive Global RWD, develop all the different versions here and adapt it for Falcon and Territory.

Its the only way Falcon has a chance to last beyond 2016/17/18 or whenever it will be.
Boss has it, Falcon needs to become part of the One Ford plan to survive. Giving the platform minimal updates which mean it has less freatures and specifications compared to cheaper imports are never going to lift sales. It's a lame duck in the current environment.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #51
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Just a quick side question, but: Can Detroit stop Ford Australia to export into other countries outside the USA? Or dictate/control it?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
Either offer a budget entry level FPV, around 40 grand or bring back XR8 at the same price point. Make XR6 the base model Falcon. The XT just looks so plain and completely uninspiring, no wonder it won't sell. Let's face it, people want a great looking car at any price.

And get a new wheel designer at Ford, someone who understands how much diameter, dish, tyre profile and suspension height has on the appearance and thus APPEAL of a car! The XT looks terrible on those ugly little wheels.

Mike
The XT is a practical country and long haul car. Lowering suspension and fitting more expensive to buy tyres might look cool, but it kind of defeats the purpose of what it is about.

It can handle rutted dirt roads, give a comfortable ride on long trips, handle the odd gutter or pothole and is cheap to get tyres for when the time comes. All pluses for a fleet car.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #53
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Just a quick side question, but: Can Detroit stop Ford Australia to export into other countries outside the USA? Or dictate/control it?
Stop it? Ford US can close Ford Australia down if they want. They own the company. Ford Australia have the odd win, but the bottom line is Ford says jump and Ford Australia says how high?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No car can survive today without global sales of at least 100K PA.
No exports.
No Falcon as is or likely any variation.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Right now there are a few rabid Nokia supporters

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #56
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

- Give the territory a larger selection of options (everything from colour to engine variety)

- Locally produce the Ranger

- Cull the Mondeo, create a business case to bring the Fusion range here.

- Have only the GT, F6 & Mustang in the FPV range & promote greater options variety.

- As hard as it is to say, cull the I6. The Falcon/Terri may all of a sudden become more viable in the eyes of Detroit if we dropped their V6 in them instead.

- Focus/Fiesta are fine as is, just address supply issues.

- The Kuga will always have a tough time trying to penetrate its market here. The best it can do is be competitive in value.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #57
1TUFFUTE
Banned

push falcon up
expand territory portfolio(local engines tho)
go for global morphing with falcon and any available tech or partsas soon as available. Leading to possible new large global car badged as falcon here.
Focus good
vans good
Ranger...same as terri.......EXPAND portfolio
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #58
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Maybe the Falcon won't survive without the Territory.

Really, why could production of a Territory not continue without production of a Falcon?

Because Territory is based on Falcon? So?
If I worked on the production line, I would silently thank the memory of Geoff Polites for getting Territory approved. its the difference between having and not having a job the next morning.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #59
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would continue with Falcon & Territory, however with a much simpler line up. If I look at Falcon (ignore FPV for now), there is currently 4 different engines (EB4, I6 Gas, I6 petrol & I6 Turbo) & 6 different model trims (XT, XR6, XR6T, G6, G6E & G6ET) in a brand that only sells 1,000 cars each month.

Falcon

Just 3 engines
1) Current EB4
2) V6 Diesel (built here to replace I6 manufacturing)
3) Current GS V8

Just 2 model trims
1) Sports: Called XR
2) Luxury: Called Titanium

All 3 engines available in all model trims & all available in Manual & Auto

Leave FPV with GT only & current GT V8

Territory

3 engines
1) EB4 (same as Falcon engine)
2) V6 Diesel (same as Falcon Engine)
3) GS V8 (same as Falcon Engine)

3 model trims
1) Base: Called XT
2) Sports: Called XR
3) Luxury: Called Titanium

All 3 engines available in all model trims, RWD/AWD & all available in Manual & Auto

This plan simplifies the Falcon line up, puts more range into Territory. This leaves Falcon to move up market & put more volume into Territory & uses pretty much everything we currently have. Of Course everything needs the 2014 tech update.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #60
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Stop it? Ford US can close Ford Australia down if they want. They own the company. Ford Australia have the odd win, but the bottom line is Ford says jump and Ford Australia says how high?
This i understand, but what i meant was, does the U.S dictate which cars we can/cant import? Like, were we forced to take the Fiesta, Focus, Modeo, Kuga etc or did Ford Australia seek these imports without the worry or care of Ford U.S! Could we supply other RHD (assuming its of benefit) without the U.S inteferring?