Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the first time I've heard that the AU independent rear was as bad as the Commodores. I'II bet thats a statement that cannot be substantiated!!
On topic the Holden move to manufacture 4 cyl cars comes long after Ford announced the Focus build here in Australia. Looks like some auto journos are falling for the Holden PR machine AGAIN!
Old 19-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the silence has been deafening ever since

Small car slated for production 2011?
Diesel HSV's
LPG Injection HSV's
Hybrid Commodore
Cylinder De Activation

There are other announcements but that's all I remember for now. Lot of R&D ahead for Holden who ironically retrenched half their engineering dept and who's parent company is on the verge of bankruptcy................
Old 19-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
Pretty sure it was the irs commodores with the excessive rear camber wear due to missing links in the setup.
Was corrected on vx series 2 iirc.
Problem was reduced but it was still there. Still trying to work out how RE92's last for less then 50,000k's on a VXII.
Old 19-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #34
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Hey thats harsh, the AU isn't as ugly as the VE!!
One eyed denial
Old 19-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally don't like the looks of the VE in most forms.
While the original AU didn't particularly look great, the revised grilles and updated interiors made it far more palateable and in many circumstances, I prefer the look of the AU over the VE, which for its media coverage, would have to be the biggest abomination Australia has created in the past 20 years in the looks department (in my opinion).

The AU might not have been a shining light, but Ford has used the AU platform to create some cars that looked damn good.
Though the VE might be a from the ground up design, it still carries similarities to the VZ (roughly), but I think it's been done poorly.

As I said, people are entitled to their opinions, just like one's anus is allowed to (and probably does) stink.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 19-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
One eyed denial
It was a joke. Mind you I don't like the look of the VE. At least the AU had some nice looking models.
Old 19-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The Au was outgoing and ahead of its time. The VE is conservative and looks dated.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #38
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The Au was outgoing and ahead of its time.
If that was the case, why are they still ugly 10 years down the track?
Old 20-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeek
Na, I'm saying the VE is better designed in the suspension area than the BA - BF, especially when it came to lowering. The AU wasn't that crash hot in the rear suspension design. They tried to copy the Commodore, with the IRS and still failed like the Commodore. The front was worse. :
This is funny. The V series trailing link IRS was one of the worst suspensions ever. It was based on a design from the 70's. It was the most basic form of IRS you can use, and had no camber control at all, it could never keep the tyre flat on the road with any form of suspension movement, it would just tilt the tyre, hence any form of lowering or weight in the boot/rear passengers/trailer would just wear the crap out of the inside of the tyre.

The AU IRS was generations ahead, a true double wishbone IRS like you find under the bum of any Euro exotic. Ferraris use this on all models, not saying its as good as Ferrari's set up but a similar design. Saying they tried to copy the Commodore is just ignorant, it was nothing like it, it was 20 years more advanced and top of the heap in the late 90's. Now the multi link IRS's like the VE and BA/F/FG use are the top of the line.

If the Conformadores front suspension is so great then why did Holden lobby the get a version of the Falcons front suspension design to fit to the Project Blueprint V8 Supercars, because it is superior to the Commodores struts.
Old 20-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Im all for them making cars in Australia. I just hope they run the business better then GM do in the US. Come on aussie!
Old 20-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Na, I'm saying the VE is better designed in the suspension area than the BA - BF, especially when it came to lowering. The AU wasn't that crash hot in the rear suspension design. They tried to copy the Commodore, with the IRS and still failed like the Commodore. The front was worse. :
As for looks. The VE looks better than the AU, but we won't get into that side of things. :
The biggest load of crap I've read on the internet in ages.............

Did you dream this or just make it up ?

The AU Double wishbone IRS was state of the art at the time, the Commodore rear end was rubbish from 30 years earlier.

Do some research before you post this nonsense !!!
Old 20-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #42
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I like the look of the AU. I have two in my driveway to prove it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 20-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #43
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any word on what 4 cylinder car they will be producing or was it another Holden load of crap............

HEY HOLDEN, Put up or shut up!
Old 20-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
ugly is a personal perspective, in design ethos, the car is still modern, rounded edges, the way it looks smaller then it is, the new FG has alot in common with the AU, probally more so then the BA...

Then their things like Headlights that are more 'vocal' instead of rectangular slabs, organic interiors etc.

When looking at the VE i see a BMW design from 10 years ago.

...Back on topic.

Could this holden 4cyl be the new cruze?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #45
boris

Quote:
As for looks. The VE looks better than the AU, but we won't get into that side of things. :
What year was the VE designed, when was the ba designed, you're comparing a new model to an old one, so it should be better!!!!! NOT THAT IT IS!
Old 20-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #46
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can we stay on topic please.....
Old 21-12-2008, 01:55 AM   #47
stickybeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
The biggest load of crap I've read on the internet in ages.............

Did you dream this or just make it up ?

The AU Double wishbone IRS was state of the art at the time, the Commodore rear end was rubbish from 30 years earlier.

Do some research before you post this nonsense !!!

Wake up. Mate, I won't get into the ins and outs of what you've written. Lets say, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to fix the VE Commodore camber problems, front and rear compared to the AU and BA ones.

And 30 years earlier. Knock Knock anything up there? The rear end of a Commodore was only changed 18 years earlier to IRS. (VQ Statesman to be precise) . They only went full IRS in 98 -99 I think, with the VT, across the whole Commodore range.

Seeing as people are on about rear suspensions, the AU and BA - BF rears do suffer from camber wear problems, when lowered. The AU IRS DON'T have any camber adjustments available. The BA - BF rears, have camber adjustments ONLY in the XR series. That's only good for 1 degree max. Too bad if you go too low, which I see very regularly.

As for the VE commodore rear suspension. They are FACTORY camber and toe adjustable. Good for a 2 degree change. So, it can be dumped on its guts and NOT suffer from camber related wear.

As for researching before I put up this nonsense. I do suspensions for a living, so wake up, before you open your trap. I also fit tyres. (shock horror)

As for others and their comments about pre-VE rear camber issues, I never mentioned anything about those, so read before posting. I could go right into that area, but it's not worth going way off topic for that.

Geez some people should learn how to read threads before opening their traps. They should also not assume that person writing the thread knows nothing about what's written. :togo:

Old 21-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #48
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Geez some people should learn how to read threads before opening their traps. They should also not assume that person writing the thread knows nothing about what's written. :togo:
Yep they should :

AU IRS copied from Commodore......? What a joke !!!

I'm glad you're not working on my car if you really do have anything to do with suspensions !
Old 21-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #49
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Can we stay on topic please.....
I guess not.
Closed Thread