Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Default Tractors

G'Day Fellas.

I own an old Fordson Major Diesel Tractor, and was wondering if any of you knew how I could find out its age?

I know it is pre 1961 as it has a plate on the side saying that thats when it was rebuilt.

While we are on the topic of Tractors, anyone else got a tractor? What type? What do you use it for? Pics?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) Carbon dating

2) Don't own a tractor but have a friend that owns a Harley - does that count?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Shonky

haha... smart ****...

:P

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 29-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes we have a few.

My big baby is a 2002 John Deere 7710 - Beautiful big machine and a 2003 John Deere 6610SE with front end loader. The big one we use for planting crops mostly and working paddocks (its only done 1000 hours in the last 4 years so its still a baby). The little 6610 we use for lucern growing, basically for the conditioner, rake then bailer and then we use it to load into the shed etc, very handy piece of gear compared to how it was done in the old days!

We have about 7 old Oliva tractors but none of them have cabs, we have one thats about 50 + years old, its a little jigger We dont use them either they are just sheded, basically they are antiques now lol.

We had a 80 something Fordson a few years ago but sold it, we were always having problems with injectors on it.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

I have a Fordson Petrol Dexta, around a 59 or 60 model and its supposedly a bit of a rare beast. We only use it to launch our boat at the shack!!

Check this site out, it should help you identify what you have
http://fordson.freeweb.nl/
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's heaps of info about Fordsons on the web, suggest you have a look at Wikipedia for a start.

There's plenty of models with diesels starting form the the late 40's. P6 - Perkins 6 Cylinders, Power Majors with Ford Diesels and on and on.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky
G'Day Fellas.

I own an old Fordson Major Diesel Tractor, and was wondering if any of you knew how I could find out its age?

I know it is pre 1961 as it has a plate on the side saying that thats when it was rebuilt.

While we are on the topic of Tractors, anyone else got a tractor? What type? What do you use it for? Pics?
Send me the engine number and I will date it. Dont listen to these Philistines :the_finge Carbon dateing, the cheek.

The engine number is near the starter moter on the flange wher the transmission bolts on.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
I have a Fordson Petrol Dexta, around a 59 or 60 model and its supposedly a bit of a rare beast. We only use it to launch our boat at the shack!!

Check this site out, it should help you identify what you have
http://fordson.freeweb.nl/

I have a Super Major and a Super Dexta. There is a pic of myself on that site whith the owner of that petrol dexta, I am on the petrol Major.

If you want to part with that little honey just let me know.

Cheers
Steve
Old 29-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Shonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Send me the engine number and I will date it. Dont listen to these Philistines :the_finge Carbon dateing, the cheek.

The engine number is near the starter moter on the flange wher the transmission bolts on.

Steve
Cheers Mate! I will get it for ya when I go home again (am in Syd at the moment)

Greatly appreciated.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 29-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile

Ask Melz i think she has one.Fully blown 351 in it oh sorry but i do think she has one. :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A mate of mine has a VN commy, goes like a tractor really, spose that dont count either tho! lol

Serioulsy i think we all want a tractor for some unknown reason, id love one just to bugger around in on the property lol.
Old 29-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you are right, I have tractors. A restored Massey Ferguson & a Chamberlin, that may one day be restored..... but still waiting for hell to freeze over on that one

Do you have any photos of yours? It may help me identify the model.
Are the rear rims cast or pressed? Is it light blue or dark blue? (dark blue was a later model)

Oh and these are pic of my baby.

And i've had the joy of working with this

I'll have to find the photo of the Chamby again
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Yes you are right, I have tractors. A restored Massey Ferguson & a Chamberlin, that may one day be restored..... but still waiting for hell to freeze over on that one

Are the rear rims cast or pressed? Is it light blue or dark blue? (dark blue was a later model)

Oh and these are pic of my baby.

And i've had the joy of working with this

I'll have to find the photo of the Chamby again
Hiya Melz

Like the little 135. Got one here that I have to rebuild the engine for a mate. When we were kids at school some of our dads had Ford tractors and some Massy's. Fights broke out as to whats best. Now I kinda like em all but Fords and Fordsons are my passion.

You would love my Super Major. I have a 3 furrow ransomes plough and they make a fine match. Lovley for ploughing deep soil and planting spuds. Spent a fortune on them and they are like new.

Steve
Old 29-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Shonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I don't know about the rims - cant say I have looked that closely.

It is light blue. I *think* it is a New Major (1952 - 1958) as the age is about right and sample photos look similar.

Thanks Melz! :

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 29-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

We've got an old, rusted 'n' busted International Harvester tractor out at the beach. It's been used to tow the boat for longer than I've been around. She's due for a replacement any year now.
Old 30-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt realise there were so many country people on these forums i work in the farming industry and love it

i just wish that we could get a bit of rain

i also have an old grey fergie but wont let anyone drive it atm as we dont have a roll over bar on it

if anyone needs equipment /impliments please feel free to pm me with your requirements

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I have a Super Major and a Super Dexta. There is a pic of myself on that site whith the owner of that petrol dexta, I am on the petrol Major.

If you want to part with that little honey just let me know.

Cheers
Steve

I got it a few months ago fairly cheap, any idea what they are worth?
Old 30-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
Shonky

Paid $4000 for our old Diesel Major.

Also came with a crane, carryall, rake, ripper, plough, and slasher!

Bloody good deal me reckons!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 01-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #19
smally289
growing up is optional

So $550 for the Petrol Dexta was OK then??
Old 02-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #20
pb02
inconceivable!

We have a JD 6200 90 horse, and a JD backhoe that's about 75 horse. Both are good but I would love something with FWA.
We also have a David Brown 885 that we are getting rid of.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #21
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Have a kero petrol fordson with 3pl and hydraulics and a McCormick Internation A-554 with 3pl and hydraulics the McCormick has a 76 HP deisel (cant seem to find anything big enough to stop it) and I think the Fordson is about 40 HP. We have a range of implements to suit both (tumbling tommy, ripper, jib, etc...) The Fordson has a very clever blade set up that works off the 3pl to lift and lower.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Here are a couple. First is Dad's Fiat F130, and the other is an AV. I can't remember who made the second one, just know that's what dad calls it. He has a few more tractors, but these are the only ones I have photos of at the moment. He also had a steel wheeled McCormick, but sold it to someone who restores them.

EDIT: AS can be seen from the photo, and now that I remember, this one is an International Harvester.

Last edited by FordACE; 02-10-2006 at 09:50 AM.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post