Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: remove headrests to fit 6x9 speakers?
get rid of them 5 9.62%
keep them, its a Ghia thing 47 90.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
Kryton

Default remove rear headrests or not?

just a quick poll to see what others opinions are about removing the rear headrests of an 83 XE Ghia so i can fit 6x9s.
at the moment there are 6' rounds in the headrests but they dont sound too flash. the only way i can see to fit 6x9s is to remove the headrests and use pods/spacers (without cutting metal).
are headrests an integral part to the Ghia look or should i just ditch them?

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 AM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

dude, get better 6" and a decent amp, my 6's sound awesome!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
Kryton

the 6' that are in the back are SONY Explode 200 watts. never really been a fan of SONY Explodes after i bought one of the headunits (which is in there now). they sound crap. there is a Sub to be reconnected (SONY Explode) and also a USAudio Xtreme Competition 1100 watt that came with the car that needs reinstalling as well. the 6x9s i was hoping to install are Boston Accoustics which sound awesome. at the moment the system sounds tinny and not quiet there.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
).
are headrests an integral part to the Ghia look or should i just ditch them?
Not sure about the looks thing but sure they play a part in saftey if your in an accident (whiplash). might be wrong
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

Keep them on. They look better with them.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
XE_GHIA

You can install the speakers and keep the headrests if you mount them flush on the parcel shelf, it takes some cutting but works a treat.
Tom
XE_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Keep the standard Ghia trim....

Bin the 6x9's
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Keep the headrests, run with some decent 6 inchers.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
EF, What else?
A Bloke

6 X 9's are crud
Old 09-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on what others tell me, Sony XPlodez are called that because they do just that. They handle squat.

I'm told that Kenwood and/or Pioneer are far better. In fact, almost anything is better. But that's not based on personal knowledge. More like others' opinions.

Keep the headrests. The more original the interior, the better.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Kryton

yeah i know Sony Explodes are crap but thats what came in the car. i guess it is better than what came from the factory though.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol true true. Fair enough if they came with it. But I reckon once u get the dollars, time for a switch to something perhaps a little more substantial.

But I reckon with car audio, strike a balance between poise and practicality. Don't go for an overblown system that makes you look a tool.

GO with the 6s, Sounds like sound advice.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'd be looking for a nice set of 6" Clarion 3-way's and deck.
Those headrests are getting farely scarce now so i would be keeping them in the car for the original look.

Do you have the front headrest inserts aswell?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8

Do you have the front headrest inserts aswell?
meaning the headrests on the front seats? if so, yes i do. unfortunatley (now i know they are hard to find) the rear headrests have a couple of cracks in the plastic that is visible from the outside, plus the usual sun damage as well. might be able to get them back to original if i can find a plastic welder locally.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

head rests are the bomb! haha u can modify them anyway if u r really serious on 6x9's but yeh please dont remove the headrests otherwise u will be classed as a povo-pak! I even got head rests in my XR, makes em look classy ;)
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

6x9's are a waste of money. I've had 3 systems, and i get the EL back tomorrow after having my 4th installed, and never have i used 6x9's. I've always gone for round speakers, generally 6 or 6.5. I'm putting pioneer 6.5 3 way's int the EL, and they should be plenty to keep the atmosphere going. With most of the sound being produced where you are, at the front, what you need is a great set of fronts. Unless you're driving 90% of the time with a full car, then the fronts are what you need to worry about. I've gone for Pioneer yellow cone's.. which aren't cheap but aren't too expensive either. They give great sound, and are arguably better than mid range Focal's (which are fantastic speakers).

Keep the rear head rests, they're definitely a ghia thing, as well as a safety thing, and i guarantee you'll get great sound from 6 or 6.5's in the rear.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #17
Uni

it's a safety thing, your rear passengers necks will be shot if u have a front-to-tail!

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
it's a safety thing, your rear passengers necks will be shot if u have a front-to-tail!

Uni/.
feels wrong doesn't it, when you get used to them, then sit in a car without them. Makes me cringe when i see older american cars, like 60's mustangs, with driver/passenger seats that have no head rests... apart from that they're stunning cars ;p
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

im the president of we hate 6x9 club buy some good 6inch and run them off an amp.

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #20
Kryton

the fronts have some nice little pioneers in there already (just looked - 80 watts). i already have a nice pair of Boston Accoustics 6x9s from a previous system and to this date i am yet to hear anything that even comes close to the sound quality of these, and they are only 2 ways.
im tending to agree with the headrests though, they make the car to a certain degree. when funds permit i might have to go looking for a good set of rounds. plus the amp and sub needs to be hooked up as well so that might help too.
never really been a fan of the whole sub thing but it came with the car so i might give it a try. its only a sony explode one so if it sounds crap i can always ditch it.
anyone know anything about USAudio Xtreme Competition 1100watt amps? are they any good and what are they worth? it was in the boot when i bought the car but i cant find any info about it.

Last edited by Kryton; 10-08-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Not sure about the looks thing but sure they play a part in saftey if your in an accident (whiplash). might be wrong
Same thing that Iwas going to say. The head rests are there to stop you getting whiplash IF your in a accident.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted due to nothing productive. I commented on the speakers. What a dork.

Last edited by uranium_death; 10-08-2006 at 07:05 PM.