Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tickford Cluster Issues

Hey all, I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this little problem that's come up. I've had a bad week with getting stuff to go right on my car! I picked up an AU1 XR Cluster yesterday and put it in the Fairmont today, and it works, but only to a certain extent. All the lights behind the odo rectangular display bit flashes continuously, unless I turn the parkers or lights on, in which case is stops flashing. PLUS, the trip computer unit seems to be not working, everything in it (km to empty, km/L etc) is just on zero, and doesn't change when I drive, and the overspeed alarm doesn't make any noise any more, it just flashes when I go over. I figure maybe the XR's didn't have a trip computer so this doesn't work, but how can I get it to work? This is really frustrating, cos the cluster looks awesome, but I don't want to give up my trip computer and the flashing is just not on. AND, I just remembered, when I open any of the doors, the unit tells me that they're ALL open. Could this be a Smartlock / Smartshield issue, with the differnt BEM? It still locks and unlocks as normal with my remote though (I've got an early one - Smartlock). Is there any fix or workaround for this? HELP ME PLEASE! I know some of you guys have done some pretty clever stuff with clusters, so hopefully someone knows a trick or two! Thanks in advance, Matt.

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

is your fairmont a series 1 or 2??
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car's a series one fairmont, and it's a series one cluster (black face, tickford wings). I was thinking (maybe somewhat hopefully!) that'd it'd plug in and all work perfectly.
Old 17-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im not sure about fairmont but I know with forte you need to change some wires. With the fairmont clusters it shows you which door is open when you open it but the xr cluster will juts light up and show all doors open which is normal. Clusters can be a pain to stuff around with but im sure yu will work it out
Old 17-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I found a document with all the differences between Low Series, Sports (Mid) Series and High Series. The XR's didn't have the individual door sensors, or boot or fuel door sensors which the Fairmonts/Fairlanes did, so the door thing is understandable, anyone got any ideas on the flashing or the trip computer though?
Old 17-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could be wrong but there are high series clusters and med and low series. Fairmont if you say showed individual doors open would more than likely be high series which would be the likes of Tickford TE50 cluster. If the Normal XR Tickford cluster only shows doors open in general it is more than likely a medium series and given that the TE series were based on Fairmont and XR based on Falcon I would lean toward this. There are some wiring changes that need to be made to get all the high series functions happening in a lower series car but I'm not sure with yours. if you have a lower series cluster in a higher series vehicle(fairmont) you may never get all functions due to the restrictions of the cluster. Do some research and you may find this is the case. good luck I hope you find a solution. See Info below from ford mods.

AU Mid Series (Sports XR) Cluster

PLEASE NOTE : The above cluster is an AU Series II - NOT an AU Series 1 XR Cluster ! The AUI Mid Series Cluster (XR Sports Cluster) on the AUI Models, is a combination of the High Series Instruments, and the Base Series LCD Panel
The AUII and AUIII Mid Series Instrument Cluster (XR Sports Cluster is the same as the High Series Cluster, with exception to the Door Ajar Warning, which will Illuminate all the Doors on the Display, if any door is opened.In addition to these features, the XR Cluster features a Unique Tickford emblem located on the Speedo, above the Needle.
The AU Mid Series Cluster has the following Features

White Illumination, with Orange Coloured Cluster Needles

Tickford Logo Located on the Speedo Dial, above the speedo Needle

240Km Electronic Speedo, with 20Km Speed Numeral Markings, and 5Km Line Markings

7000 RPM Tacho, with 1000RPM Numeral Markings, and 250RPM Line Markings

Fuel Guage with Electronic Dampening with Low Fuel Warning Lamp

Temperature Guage, with high Temperature warning Lamp

Battery Voltage Guage, Ranging from 10 to 16 Volts

Oil Pressure Guage

Seatbelt Warning Lamp

Smartlock(AUI Early Build) or Smartsheild (AUI Late Build and onwards) Warning Lamp

Park Brake Warning Lamp

Brake Fail Warning Lamp

ABS Warning Lamp

Turn Signal and High Beam Indicators

Lights on with Ignition off warning lamp (ON LCD Panel)

Low Oil Warning Lamp

Alternator Warning Lamp

Low Coolant Warning Lamp

Door Ajar Warning on LCD Panel (Non Door Specific)

Air Bag Fault indicator

Auto Transmission economy Mode Indicator

Transmission Gear Position Indicator on LCD Panel (AUII-AUIII Models)

Cruise Control Indicator (where fitted)

Speed Warning Indicator and Buzzer

Traction Control Indicator (Where Fitted)

Low Windscreen Washer Fluid Warning

Distance to Empty Calculation and Warning

AU (High Series) Cluster

The AUI High Series Cluster (Fairmont, Fairlane, LTD Cluster)

Uses the same shape Instrument Dials as the Mid Series Cluster, but has a unique LCD Panel, that includes a Door ajar, Boot open, and Fuel Flap Open Warning. This warning system utilises a Diagram of a sedan, and shows which door, (Driver's, Passenger, and Back Doors, indepentant of each other, much the same wasy as the EA-ED-EF-EL High Series Instrument Clusters Door Ajar Warning system works.
The AUII and AUIII High Series Instrument Cluster has the Automatic Gear Position located on the main LCD Panel, whereas the Series 1 Models had this display on the Speedo Instrument Guage.

The AU High Series Cluster has the following Features

White Illumination, with Red Coloured Cluster Needles

220Km Electronic Speedo, with 20Km Speed Numeral Markings, and 5Km Line Markings

7000 RPM Tacho, with 1000RPM Numeral Markings, and 250RPM Line Markings

Fuel Guage with Electronic Dampening with Low Fuel Warning Lamp

Temperature Guage, with high Temperature warning Lamp

Battery Voltage Guage, Ranging from 10 to 16 Volts

Oil Pressure Guage

Seatbelt Warning Lamp

Smartlock(AUI Early Build) or Smartsheild (AUILate Build and ownards) Warning Lamp

Park Brake Warning Lamp

Brake Fail Warning Lamp

ABS Warning Lamp

Turn Signal and High Beam Indicators

Lights on with Ignition off warning lamp (ON LCD Panel)

Low Oil Warning Lamp

Alternator Warning Lamp

Low Coolant Warning Lamp

Door Ajar Warning on LCD Panel (Door Specific)

Boot Open Warning (Sedan Only)

Air Bag Fault indicator

Auto Transmission economy Mode Indicator

Transmission Gear Position Indicator on seperate LCD Panel under speedo (AUI Models)

Transmission Gear Position Indicator on LCD Panel (AUII-AUIII Models)

Cruise Control Indicator

Speed Warning Indicator and Buzzer

Traction Control Indicator (Where Fitted)

Low Windscreen Washer Fluid Warning

Distance to Empty Calculation and Warning

Upgrading and swapping Instrument Clusters

With exception to the Low Series Instrument cluster, it is possible to change between different Cluster models rather painlessly.
All AU Series 1 Instrument Clusters use the same Electrical Connectors, (2 Connectors), but for the Low Series Cluster, some wires need to be moved around for the Left Hand Side Connector, In order for the Mid/High Series Cluster to function correctly.
The Mid, Police and High Series Clusters all use the same connectors, same Bulb holders, same needles, and Depending on the Cluster Series, very similar/Same circuit boards.
The AU Series I Mid and High Series Clusters use a different LCD Panel, but the wiring (With Exception to the extra Door Outline Wiring) is 100% Compatible.
That is, if swapping a Mid Series Cluster for a High Series Cluster, you will need to run new wiring from all 4 Doors, to the Instrument Cluster Wiring Harness

Some important steps to watch out for when doing an Instrument Cluster conversion will include,

1. The Odometer Reading will need to be changed. (Remember your Pinkslip will have this reading on it from your previous years Registration - There is a $10,000 fine for Fraudulantly Winding Back your Odometer Reading.)

2. If Upgrading from a Base Instrument Cluster, The Oil Pressure Switch will need to be replaced with an Oil Pressure sensor.

4. If adding the Low Windscreen Washer Level Warning Lamp, a new Washer Bottle, with Level sensor, and an extra line will need to be added for the Warning to work.

Some Common misconceptions with the Ford Falcon series Clusters include
1. The Odometer Readings can be swapped, changed or kept. The Odometer Reading is held within the Instrument Cluster, not within the EEC-V Engine Management, nor does the Instrument Cluster have a Backup Memory, or a Tamper-proof mechanism to deter Odometer Fraud !

2. There is no Electrical, or Calibration Difference within the speedo sections of the cluster, in terms of different Factory fitted Diffs, wheel, and Tyre Ratios. Changing Clusters will not alter the Factory speedo readings.

3. It is not possible to use an XR Series II Face, on a Low or High Series Cluster ! This is due to the Maximum speed on the cluster face, which means that the speed increments are slightly compressed.
The XR Series Cluster circuit board takes this compression in consideration when moving the speedo needle, and as such, you would need to swap the complete cluster over to use the XR Face.

Wiring changes required when fitting a Mid/High Series Cluster to a Forte/Futura Model Falcon.
Although the Mid and High Series Clusters will simply plug in, and A L M O S T function, there a re a few changes you will need to make, in order to get the Cluster to function correctly.
These changes are needed in order for the following to function,

Dial Illumination with Park Lamps On

The ABS Warning Lamp to Illuminate correctly

The Right Hand Side Indicator Lamp to function Correctly

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,

1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2.

2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3.

3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23

4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26

Please Note : In addition to these changes, you will need to also change the Oil Warning Switch, to an Oil Pressure sender unit, and also swap the Odo Reading.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Howesy, are you still selling the TE50 cluster?
Old 17-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Thanks Howesy, are you still selling the TE50 cluster?
I P.M ed you.

by the way go to the link I showed and keep scrolling down and it shows all the pis and wires on the clusters and what they are for to make things easier. hope you get some useful stuff.
Old 17-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Series 2/3 TE was XR based cluster. TS was fairmont based.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
matt has series one. Exctract from above taken from technical documents.-:

The AUI Mid Series Cluster (XR Sports Cluster) on the AUI Models, is a combination of the High Series Instruments, and the Base Series LCD Panel

The AUII and AUIII Mid Series Instrument Cluster (XR Sports Cluster is the same as the High Series Cluster, with exception to the Door Ajar Warning, which will Illuminate all the Doors on the Display, if any door is opened.
Old 17-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check your PM's again matt
Old 18-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #12
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
JC, series 2 TE50 was Fairmont based, same as series 1 TE50. Only the series 3 TE50 was XR8 based.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

mattp, to stop the LCD flashing you need to adjust the brightnes of the cluster. The XR's had a 2 position illumination switch, and your Fairmont is probably set on a too low of a voltage for the XR cluster. Move the brightness switch up a little and the flashing will stop.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #14
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks so much, this forum is a goldmine of information! Cheers, Matt.
Old 18-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Thanks so much, this forum is a goldmine of information! Cheers, Matt.
PM Sent.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the flashing to stop, as suggested it was just a matter of turning up the brightness! Anyway, the cluster is now for sale, I like my trip computer too much, so if any low series owners want to buy it, see the sales section. Cheers, thanks again for all your help, Matt.
Old 20-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
janek
Ripping it up

Default cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
I P.M ed you.

by the way go to the link I showed and keep scrolling down and it shows all the pis and wires on the clusters and what they are for to make things easier. hope you get some useful stuff.
Hey mate, i was wondering if that te cluster was S1 or S2?
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #18
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Series 1