Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default Head / Engine Swap

Had a bit of fun on the weekend.

Pulled the entire top end of my motor out so that i can spray everything under the hood, intake, exhaust, p/steering, coolant resevoir, everything and now am faced with a problem.

I have only had the Intech6 for about 9 months, but 2 years ago Ford had a sale on surplas Series II XR6 Engines, and i bought one.

The question is does anyone think I should swap my standard intech head for the XR one while it is apart? Been told possible advantages in torque and hp because of a better ported, higher flowing head, and slightly higher duration cam. On another subject i picked up my XR8 CAI snorkel from ford for $47 and it IS DIFFERENT to the XR6 one. Will post pictures of all this if asked too.

Anyway what does everyone think i should do? The XR6 motor is brand new and only been run in on the bench?
Also i'm going to have some money soon and don't know whether i should do Cam or Flash tuner? Of course if i swap the head over there is no point in doing cam?

Help somone plzzzzzzzz........................

james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to get alot of work done while you have the spare engine sitting there, I'd say go adecent cam, get some mild head work done, get the AU edit and then put it all back together.
Why not just swap your engine for the new XR6 engine, its only a blue slip and a trip to the RTA to change the engine details over on your rego and then you'd be running a new worked engine??
Definately go the cam and edit by the sounds of everyone elses positive results you wont look back
Just my two cents
Regards and happy motoring,
Tim
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

yeah that sounds good. But whats the point of putting in my new xr6 engine if i'm only going to rip the new parts out (cam etc) and rebuild it? Wouldnt i be better swapping the engine and doing the work to the old tired one, getting it off its head, then put it back in?
Old 20-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Also i'm going to have some money soon and don't know whether i should do Cam or Flash tuner? Of course if i swap the head over there is no point in doing cam?
Flash tuner last. Otherwise when you get the cam done you'll need to retune it.

Matching the cam to the headwork is probably important too. If you're doing things in dribs and drabs, I'd prob do the headwork and the cam first.

Quote:
Wouldnt i be better swapping the engine and doing the work to the old tired one, getting it off its head, then put it back in?
Yes.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
james22
With da Warlords

thanx for the help