Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford Blue to axe 8,000 salary jobs

Not so long ago, Bosch came out with a new diesel management system that basically increased temperature
in diesel exhaust that ensured super low emissions.

Unsurprisingly, the new system cannot be retrofitted to existing diesels but the same equipment is used to
get the desired output….perhaps Ford and others have one more card to play with diesels in Europe and ROW
markets where politicians have all but consigned diesel to perhaps a unnecessarily premature grave…..

https://www.bosch.com/stories/new-di...ne-technology/

Newly developed methods to ensure the exhaust-gas temperature at the catalytic converter stays above 200 degrees resulted in extremely low emissions by the test vehicle.

Bosch’s experimental test vehicle’s nitrogen-oxide emissions averaged 13 mg per kilometer. That is approximately only one-tenth of the maximum limit that will apply in Europe after 2020.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #32
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
T6 gets handed back to America in 2028, that’s under six years, so all of this development work here in Australia is no more, they’re just not ready to say it yet. It’s now one of the expendable wings of Ford Blue, I’d just wish they permit electric work to be done before everything folds up.
source?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Eng of First MCE begins soon and is delivered in 2025, second is by 2028…..
are you willing to bet that Ford will need any Aus based Eng support after that?

The way Farley is Talking about cost cutting in Ford Blue, we might see changes earlier than that….
If MCEs are just trim and power train upgrades from other areas, they’ll need fewer staff than some think..

It’s wonderfully optimistic for the leaders to speak of engineering support maintained in our region well beyond
2030 but I really wonder what form and size that will be, it’s great to show confidence but when your bosses
are set on taking the company in another direction, it’s hard to tell them they’re wrong/premature….

I hope this vision is flat out wrong and woefully misguided by grossly inaccurate unsubstantiated rumours.
To be clear here, I am in no way associated with Ford, so if this is all crap, I unreservedly apologise and withdraw.

Last edited by jpd80; 24-07-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 25-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #34
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

Wonder if there is a leper diesel island somewhere.
Isn't that Australia?!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
are you willing to bet that Ford will need any Aus based Eng support after that?

The way Farley is Talking about cost cutting in Ford Blue, we might see changes earlier than that….
If MCEs are just trim and power train upgrades from other areas, they’ll need fewer staff than some think..

It’s wonderfully optimistic for the leaders to speak of engineering support maintained in our region well beyond
2030 but I really wonder what form and size that will be, it’s great to show confidence but when your bosses
are set on taking the company in another direction, it’s hard to tell them they’re wrong/premature….

I hope this vision is flat out wrong and woefully misguided by grossly inaccurate unsubstantiated rumours.
To be clear here, I am in no way associated with Ford, so if this is all crap, I unreservedly apologise and withdraw.
Must explain why they are spending millions building new buildings, and renovating others at the Proving Ground then.

Did you miss the part about the T6 and T4 no longer going to share a platform anymore? That was confirmed in the media recently. Wheels recently had an interview with one of the highest level managers who basically stated PD's future had been secured into the 2030's.

Vehicle powertrains are pretty much irrelevant to what we do here, cause powertrain engineering was handed over to Europe and the USA 3-4 years ago, so it doesn't matter what powers it and we don't have much of a hand in it anyway. Just a skeleton crew.

Farley's plans for cost cutting revolve around production staff and powertrain development. He has spoken many times about GM and Stellantis having significantly lower production staff than Ford do, and hence their labour costs in the usa are much lower. He knows this has to change to stay competitive with them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #36
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe Farley will be smart and decide saving costs also involves using a team which produces excellent results at a cheaper cost than your other similar divisions around the world...although it would talk big ones to do so at the expense of a USA-based team.

Let's not forget part of why FoMoCo Australia won the Ranger work again was based on the decision making a vehicle that has to be sold in 180 markets was just too much for a US-based team which frankly doesn't even have any of that experience, what do they R&D in N/A that sells globally like Ranger?
In fact Ford Europe has more international focus and that hasn't always helped markets like here for vehicle specs etc..
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe Farley will be smart and decide saving costs also involves using a team which produces excellent results at a cheaper cost than your other similar divisions around the world….although it would talk big ones to do so at the expense of a USA-based team.

Let's not forget part of why FoMoCo Australia won the Ranger work again was based on the decision making a vehicle that has to be sold in 180 markets was just too much for a US-based team which frankly doesn't even have any of that experience, what do they R&D in N/A that sells globally like Ranger?
In fact Ford Europe has more international focus and that hasn't always helped markets like here for vehicle specs etc..
Maybe a mixture of rumour and things in the press spooked me into thinking there’s more to this…

It’s clear that Ford needs Ford Blue products to be profitable to pay for the roll out of BEVs
so the thought of high $$$ T6s plays right into that wheelhouse, maybe other products
that don’t really command high $$$ have more to fear.

Ranger and Everest are clearly safe until the end of the decade and slightly beyond,
adding hybrid/PHEV/BEV capability completely drought proofs Ranger and Everest
against rapid changes in buyer demand or even out there legislation as seen in Europe/UK.

As for personnel, 1st MCE work is in progress or starting soon, 2nd MCE should start
about late 2025…….what no one knows is if a 3rd MCE is approved, then that means
everyone is safe until at least 2032 - you just don’t get guarantees like that in the auto industry.

Last edited by jpd80; 26-07-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 26-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Maybe a mixture of rumour and things in the press spooked me into thinking there’s more to this…

It’s clear that Ford needs Ford Blue products to be profitable to pay for the roll out of BEVs
so the thought of high $$$ T6s plays right into that wheelhouse, maybe other products
that don’t really command high $$$ have more to fear.

Ranger and Everest are clearly safe until the end of the decade and slightly beyond,
adding hybrid/PHEV/BEV capability completely drought proofs Ranger and Everest
against rapid changes in buyer demand or even out there legislation as seen in Europe/UK.

As for personnel, 1st MCE work is in progress or starting soon, 2nd MCE should start
about late 2025…….what no one knows is if a 3rd MCE is approved, then that means
everyone is safe until at least 2032 - you just don’t get guarantees like that in the auto industry.
Of course there are no guarantees. Not many work places are infallible. But Trevor Worthington worked hard to future proof the place. Having the aussie dollar at 70c also makes it a hell of a lot cheaper to do work here than what it would in the usa as well. Even more so considering we have a long track record of doing it better and cheaper at the same time.

With money being pumped into new facilities it at least looks stable for the short to medium term. And that's all you can ask for in this game, cause you can never see too far ahead.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Of course there are no guarantees. Not many work places are infallible. But Trevor Worthington worked hard to future proof the place. Having the aussie dollar at 70c also makes it a hell of a lot cheaper to do work here than what it would in the usa as well. Even more so considering we have a long track record of doing it better and cheaper at the same time.

With money being pumped into new facilities it at least looks stable for the short to medium term. And that's all you can ask for in this game, cause you can never see too far ahead.
And I could easily imagine how the Americans would do T6, a Bronco, Ranger and maybe Everest that works
for their market and everyone else would be forced to take LHD/RHD versions of their domestic vehicles.
No finessing of the design, no countless crash tests to prove compliance to every location, lots of things left
undone to save billions of dollars, unconscious incompetence, no idea and no imagination of how immense T6 is.
Old 26-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #40
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And I could easily imagine how the Americans would do T6, a Bronco, Ranger and maybe Everest that works
for their market and everyone else would be forced to take LHD/RHD versions of their domestic vehicles.
No finessing of the design, no countless crash tests to prove compliance to every location, lots of things left
undone to save billions of dollars, unconscious incompetence, no idea and no imagination of how immense T6 is.
Daughter returned from Euro trip 2 weeks ago, tells the story of 3 American teenagers sitting next to her in an outdoor Italian cafe....one grabs his phone and asks Siri.."how do you say pizza in Italian?"..

I apologise in advance if any American members have taken offence.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: