Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #31
hayseed

Default Re: New Land Cruiser rival in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Beijing Foton Engine Company (ISF) and Dong Feng Cummins Engine Company (B Series) are joint ventures with Cummins except they aren't suppose to be sold outside of China. Not suprisingly a few snakes have managed to import them and sell them brand new but 'used' to operators who want to save a buck.
Type the ESN into Cummins quickserve for parts breakdown or workshop manual and nothing makes sense, the Chinese have used old parts like timing gear covers on newer engines, made up their own part numbers, fitted different parts like turbos/housings, they are just a nightmare if chasing parts or carrying out work on one.

I've got an ISF Cummins in a Foton Dual cab Ute.!
I've also got 3 other Cummins Engines in Trucks & a Cummins Quickserve account. Whilst I've only ever needed to Buy Filters for the ISF a quick trawl through quickserve doesn't show anything untoward (to Me at least) but Don't mind being corrected.

I should probably put something in the Great Wally Thread..
But I'm more than Happy with the Little ISF & the whole vehicle in General all things considered..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Beijing Foton Engine Company (ISF) and Dong Feng Cummins Engine Company (B Series) are joint ventures with Cummins except they aren't suppose to be sold outside of China. Not suprisingly a few snakes have managed to import them and sell them brand new but 'used' to operators who want to save a buck.
Type the ESN into Cummins quickserve for parts breakdown or workshop manual and nothing makes sense, the Chinese have used old parts like timing gear covers on newer engines, made up their own part numbers, fitted different parts like turbos/housings, they are just a nightmare if chasing parts or carrying out work on one.
I see some bloke is importing brand new Chinese B series and selling them for around $10k for Land Cruiser/Patrol swaps. Brand new genuine Cummins B series is near $22k.

As for the Land Cruiser rival. Do you need to buy aftermarket cup holders and arms rests? Do you need to fit 20 year/300,000km old XR6 seats so it doesn't feel like grand dads Kingswood? Do you need to option electric windows so the manual winder doesn't dig into your right knee? Do you need to fit an exhaust/tune/injectors/turbo so it makes more power & torque than an AU1 Forte? Might be onto a winner if No to all of them.
Main reason I couldn't bring myself to buy a JAC truck.
Older Isuzu cab, Dana axles, Isuzu gearbox, S cam brakes and Chinese Cummins.
Think I'll stick to rebuilding the trucks I have with the parts I've hoardered.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
how many 70 series are sold in Europe? I doubt he even thought about Australia
Nothing to do with LC 70 series or Australia, that vehicle is based on their
perceptions of an earlier Land Rover Defender altered enough not to be sued.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #34
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've got an ISF Cummins in a Foton Dual cab Ute.!
I've also got 3 other Cummins Engines in Trucks & a Cummins Quickserve account. Whilst I've only ever needed to Buy Filters for the ISF a quick trawl through quickserve doesn't show anything untoward (to Me at least) but Don't mind being corrected.

I should probably put something in the Great Wally Thread..
But I'm more than Happy with the Little ISF & the whole vehicle in General all things considered..
The online support for ISF/QSF isn’t as comprehensive compared to something like a qsb/m/c etc.
I’ve had to do a couple of jobs on a isf3.8 in a JAC and qsf3.8 in a skid steer. For both engines the parts and workshop literature was very vague.
The JAC ESN brought up an EGR engine despite it being pre EGR yet original to the truck. Just an example of one of the f. arounds it is with some of these Chinese derived models.
From memory part of the deal with the likes of Foton is their authorised dealers or agents are to carry out the work (including warranty), not Cummins. This also goes for Ram, and I’m pretty sure these run OBD2, their own Chrysler/Dodge ECM so Insite won’t talk to them. I’ve never run a Ram ESN into quickserve to see what it brings up though.

Whilst the F series info is vague, it’s nothing on some of the Dong Feng B series that is intended to stay in China, which as I said seems to be a bitsa engine with different parts and part numbers. A lot have made it here as gensets, or marketed as marine engines or viable swaps into 4wds.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Nothing to do with LC 70 series or Australia, that vehicle is based on their
perceptions of an earlier Land Rover Defender altered enough not to be sued.
Edit not worth it
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Edit not worth it
Sorry, life is too short to get all bent up about vehicles, everyone is entitled to like different things and if I stepped all over you with my last post I apologise
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #37
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Why on earth would you pay more in comparison to a proven Toyota 70 series
1. Hopefully F-R wheel track is the same
2. You may actually be able to buy one. Currently 9-10+month wait according to my brother who wanted to trade his 18 month old jigger on a new 'un a couple of months ago
3. Hopefully don't need to spend $$$ on it to make it "tough" in the eyes of your rev head mates. So it may actually end up similar in cost?
4. spare parts availability *may* be no different with LC70, it has been an issue, with lead times on some parts measured in many weeks, some in months. (Experience from When I was in the mining industry, Granted this was many years ago now, and may have changed)
5. Can't (couldn't?) buy an auto version of the LC70. Manual only, so for beach use....
6. If it gets wet and the starter motor needs to be swapped out, hopefully its only a few hours on the bill being a Straight six, not a 10 hr labour bill.

Hopefully it is more reliable then the the euro built Land Rovers of past...

But it could well be G-Wagen expensive to fix? But Magna Steyr have quite the rep. It will likely come down to how well they manage changes post testing, and how well everything is assembled (i.e. Germany or France? Monday or Friday?)
With a 4mm box ladder chassis it may not go so well in modern crash testing, but should be durable enough...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #38
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Sorry, life is too short to get all bent up about vehicles, everyone is entitled to like different things and if I stepped all over you with my last post I apologise
That's ok, we were clearly talking about different things.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post