Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 15-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default KQ Laser SR2 help needed.

Hi guy's I'm looking at a KQ Laser SR2, champange in colour, 5spd and 41,000klm, they are asking $16k for it, I had a look toady at it, it seem's very good, drove allright but it's down side was it had 2 dint's, one on the bonnet and one near the fuel filler, the ride was a little harder than most laser's I've had before I take it that's because off the sport's suspension and low profile tyre's, it need's a real good detail as the owner before never cleaned it much but it should come up allright, what are these like for fuel in town and on the hwy, my old KJII 1.8l used 8.7l in town and 6.3l on the hwy, are the 2.0l more thirsty or are they much the same on fuel, and I've noticed alot off laser have a ticking noise when ideling, sound's like hydrulic tappet's or something, is this just the norm with all Laser's, any help in looking for thing's in the SR2 would be good, thank's.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default information

VippiN is the guy to chat to find him in the members list and pm
he is the laser guru

$15.000 approx should be the going price but if you think its a good car with the low kms try to haggle
I dont know the laser
but for that money you are going to outlay I would get a independent vehicle inspection

look around for rust and corrosion in the usual laser places
cv boots and joints - accident damage - engine coolant and radiator condition - engine mounts - rear engine seal leaks

As for the tappets they should be hydraulic but i am not sure and find out if the timing belt was replaced - the car may have been poorly serviced and time may weaken the belt whats that 4 year old car
Old 16-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
VippiN
What a performer!

yes the sr20 is more thirsty than the 1.8, thats what you get when you buy a sport-ish car

it does have hydraulic tappets but shouldnt be making noise this early in its life imo unless the owner is using ИИИИhouse oil
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There's just something about this SR2 that worries me, I don't know what it is though, the book's have never been stamped, and when I looked at the air filter it was clogged with all this black soot, I was shocked to see, I tapped the air filter on the ground to clean it and I believe there was enough soot there to hold in ones palm, I'm trying to contact the original owner but the dealer doesn't have his number, something just seem's very suss with this car, it's a shame because it's a real nice looking car.
Old 16-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Exclamation buyer beware ?

leaves questions such as :
has the car been flogged and driven hard without servicing ?
is it the original speedo
is it the original engine- are the plates the original
does the interior look so knocked about and unclean that it may have done more miles than it says for a 4 year old car with 40.000 km
it should almost smell and look new
look at the pedal rubbers door trims seat belt for extrodinary wear

do more checks
next do a history search on the car if possible
vin number and engine and get a revs certificate
Old 16-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

All the number's match, I've checked that.but the vehicle is real dirty, there's dog hair on the roof linning in the back, the carpet's are dirty, the engine bay is full off dirt/dust and the rear is dusgusting, there's mould growing on the outside in crease's on the bodywork like I said it need's a full detail, and the funny thing is the sale's man said to me it's the best little laser he's seen so I should not worry about it and just buy it, huh, I told him if I was running a dealership and the car looked like this I'd have a good talking to the detailer's, I'm very fussy when it come's to thing's like this, I spent 3hr's looking over it/driving it, and he said to me I should work for the RACV, to see a vehicle like this on the lot is disgusting in my mind. It's a nice little car for the klm's but the previous owner has let it go.