Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Swaytan
Swaytan

Question Car Audio

I got myself some cash & need to put a proper audio system into my stock standard Fiesta. On or just over the 3k mark.

Which brands should I be looking at? I guess it'd probably be a purely opinion based thing.

I guess the question I should be asking is, if you had 3k & needed to buy an audio set up for your car, which brand would you go for?

I'm a metal head, so don't really need pounding, huge bass, just really punchy bass. Should I be looking at 10 inch subs as opposed to 12s or 15s? I ask that because in the band environment, smaller/mid sized speakers generally give a tighter more controlled sound.

The brands I can think of are Pioneer, Kenwood, Fusion & Audiobahn, that's about it.

Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I just asked a similar question in another thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=41015

Should save anyone repeating themselves. As for the subs though, I'm a metal head myself and I find smaller subs are the way to go. I listen to a lot of NIN and the like and they make short work of 12" and 15" subs. You need something with good rebound and the larger diameters don't allow for it. I've near on blown up a $5000 system on that theory, although a cynic would blame it on being Xplod equipment in the first place.
Old 19-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
I just asked a similar question in another thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=41015

Should save anyone repeating themselves. As for the subs though, I'm a metal head myself and I find smaller subs are the way to go. I listen to a lot of NIN and the like and they make short work of 12" and 15" subs. You need something with good rebound and the larger diameters don't allow for it. I've near on blown up a $5000 system on that theory, although a cynic would blame it on being Xplod equipment in the first place.
Thanks mate, will look to your post!
Old 19-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
joshf2
striped

i dont recommend any jap brand speakers, they are typically more suited to electronic and dance music.

stick with american brands, ie rockford fosgate, JL audio, kicker and mtx.

amp wise, 4x50wrms should be sufficient, and hopefully have a line out so you can piggy back a sub amp without have to use line splitters.

speaker wise, 6.5" co-axials will do, dont bother with 6x9's in the rear, i dont believe they sound as good as a round speaker.

amp - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=755 ($799)
speakers - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=784 ($179)
subs - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=765 ($219x2)

its not that im plugging doran, its just that theyre the only place i know that do JL audio.

so just for the components above, youre looking at $1416, plus you'll need another $300 on cables, line converters and another $250 for a box.

that leaves you with about $1000 for a headunit (if you want to replace it) or for installation costs if you dont do it yourself.

the only problem ive ever found i had with car audio is the amount of choice you're presented. the more money you have, the more things you can choose from, and when i built my last stereo, i went through 4 different decks, 5 different sets of subs, 3 different brands of amps before finally settling on a $10k system.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
i dont recommend any jap brand speakers, they are typically more suited to electronic and dance music.

stick with american brands, ie rockford fosgate, JL audio, kicker and mtx.

amp wise, 4x50wrms should be sufficient, and hopefully have a line out so you can piggy back a sub amp without have to use line splitters.

speaker wise, 6.5" co-axials will do, dont bother with 6x9's in the rear, i dont believe they sound as good as a round speaker.

amp - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=755 ($799)
speakers - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=784 ($179)
subs - http://www.doranproaudio.com.au/prod...asp?prodID=765 ($219x2)

its not that im plugging doran, its just that theyre the only place i know that do JL audio.

so just for the components above, youre looking at $1416, plus you'll need another $300 on cables, line converters and another $250 for a box.

that leaves you with about $1000 for a headunit (if you want to replace it) or for installation costs if you dont do it yourself.

the only problem ive ever found i had with car audio is the amount of choice you're presented. the more money you have, the more things you can choose from, and when i built my last stereo, i went through 4 different decks, 5 different sets of subs, 3 different brands of amps before finally settling on a $10k system.
All questions answered, thanks for that mate, can't wait to get things movin...
Old 20-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ur gonna be spending 3k i would definatly be getting good splits (splits are what make 99% of the sound and if these are crap u will get crap music). Don't bother with 2 subs, 1 is enough and much easier to manage.

Look to spend around $250 per speaker pair (Splits for front, co-ax for rear). $800 for amp (The rockford p4004 is one i would recommend). $500 for a sub and around $600 per headunit.

If your doing the work yourself $600 should get u buy. But be sensible and don't go overboard with the cabling, U DON'T need 0gauage power, $2000 RCA's etc.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I have a soundstream mule 12inch sub with custom box that i've had in 4 different cars now, it is AWESOME. It's tight on metal, and deep and clear on dance/rap. The sealed box looks like crap, but it makes it sound fantastic. I had it in a ported box but it polled and sounded shizen.

They're not cheap, but as far as subs go, soundstream rock.

As far as fronts go, i'd go for pioneer bullets, or for something better pioneer yellow cones, of if you have $600+ to spend on the fronts, go Focal Utopia, they are like nothing else. I left the rear speakers factory in my last system (ba xr6) and it was fine, but just chuck some pioneer 3 way 6x9's or 6.5inch three ways in for good measure. Most of the sound will be coming from your fronts anyway. I used to have a Coustic 4x50 amp running my sub/fronts and that was really good, cost a bit over $400 a few years ago. Go for something around that mark, or if you have a bit extra, go for an alpine (especially if you're going to get the Focals/yellow cones)

Deck ? Pioneer, or Alpine. Pioneer have got some pretty slick units out there for a few hundred, if you have a bit more to spend, go the Alpine.

Pioneer Head Unit: $400
Focal front splits: $650 (run off amp)
Pioneer Rear 6x9's or 6.5" two/three ways: $180ish (run off head unit)
Coustic Amp: $450
Soundstream sub & Box: $550 (run of 2 channels bridged from the amp)

Total: $2230 + fitting.. you'd be close to your $3000 target, and it would sound freaking awesome.

Hope this helps.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

The only problem ive had with changing the front and rear speakers is the lack of vibration control especialy the back there is nothing there. With subs its even worse. Ive looked into some sound deadening stuff and its like 100 bucks plus just for a tiny sheet. Mind you im only running a 330 watt amp which is powering the 2 subs and 6x9's and the car vibrates bad. Imagine what a 3g setup would do????
Old 20-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
The only problem ive had with changing the front and rear speakers is the lack of vibration control especialy the back there is nothing there. With subs its even worse. Ive looked into some sound deadening stuff and its like 100 bucks plus just for a tiny sheet. Mind you im only running a 330 watt amp which is powering the 2 subs and 6x9's and the car vibrates bad. Imagine what a 3g setup would do????
With 2 x 12inch subs AND 6x9's in the rear of a car the size of a shoe box, i'm not surprised it rattles badly! The setup in the Falcon was one 12 inch with factory rears, bias to the front splits and it sounded awesome. With 2 x subs you don't need 6x9's if you tune the frequency response right.
Old 20-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

At the moment ive only got the front and 6x9's running with no subs or amp and the rear rattles. Go figure??. But honestly there is absolutely no padding anywhere.
Old 20-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
At the moment ive only got the front and 6x9's running with no subs or amp and the rear rattles. Go figure??. But honestly there is absolutely no padding anywhere.
haha fair enough. My girl has a fiesta too, was going to kit that out for her, but as sound deadening is $100 a metre even for the lesser quality stuff, it could get pricey.