Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Self serve

Like many, I despise how the self serve terminals have left only one or two traditional check-outs open and thus leaving the customer to do the stores job. In peak periods, such as Sunday afternoons, customers doing there big weekly shop shouldn't have to queue with overflowing trolleys at the only manned checkout open. That is just plane poor customer service. Its a take it or leave it situation that also extends to the product range in these stores being reduced to increase profit.

Having said that, for the person in a hurry, self serve checkouts are fantastic. No queuing up in the "10 items or less" lane waiting for Beryl to count out her loose change, just in and out and on with ones day.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

i wonder if those whinging about the self serve checkouts also whinge about having to put their own fuel in their car, and check themselves in at the airport etc etc.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

During peak holiday season at the drive through bottlo in the coastal town my dad lives in they have 4 people who come to your window, ask what you're after, get whatever you are after, put it in the boot then hand you the eftpos machine. That's service right there. In a town with 3300 normal residents that swells to 9000 in peak holiday times and only one bottlo, even with top notch swift service, the line is often down the street. It's awesome.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #34
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely we must be close to the day where you can wheel a full trolley past a scanner that totals what is in it, with out it having to be individually scanned.
There must be a way to embed cheap wireless technology into the packaging.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Surely we must be close to the day where you can wheel a full trolley past a scanner that totals what is in it, with out it having to be individually scanned.
funny you say that. while not exactly the same, our local libraries have a system where you don't have to individually scan each item, but just put them on the scan area all stacked up, and it 'reads' everything that's on there.

so perhaps the idea isn't as far fetched as you might think.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #36
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Having said that, for the person in a hurry, self serve checkouts are fantastic. No queuing up in the "10 items or less" lane waiting for Beryl to count out her loose change, just in and out and on with ones day.
That was what they were for when first introduced, and I do use them like that when I need to grab some bread and milk, or 2 or 3 ingredients for dinner.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #37
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i wonder if those whinging about the self serve checkouts also whinge about having to put their own fuel in their car, and check themselves in at the airport etc etc.
Two completely different things, I am old enough to remember the 'service station' where the guy would fill up your car while another checked your oil and washer fluid and sometimes even tyre pressure, I was at the tail end of it as we had about 50/50 self serve and full service stations when I started driving.

I usually declined the service as I did not like people touching my car, my daily driver back then was an XB GS Coupe, and I hated people touching it and still do hate people even standing too close to it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 27-02-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #38
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great idea, you could be on a money maker here

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #39
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
During peak holiday season at the drive through bottlo in the coastal town my dad lives in they have 4 people who come to your window, ask what you're after, get whatever you are after, put it in the boot then hand you the eftpos machine. That's service right there. In a town with 3300 normal residents that swells to 9000 in peak holiday times and only one bottlo, even with top notch swift service, the line is often down the street. It's awesome.
Sounds like good service a lot of smaller towns still have this service.

In saying that unless I am in a huge hurry I hate drive through bottle shops, I like walking around, checking out the specials, usually end up buying something I never planned to buy before I walked in or I often walk in knowing I want some grog but have no idea what I will buy till I have a look around.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

Our local Coles used to employ 4 or 5 check out persons, now they only have 1 so what are the other 3 or 4 people doing now?? Probably collecting the dole
No, they are probably packing "Click and collect" orders.

When I use to work at Coles, during a regular day there would only be a few people throughout the store stacking shelves. Now at my local store sometimes when it's busy there is a staff member in every aisle packing the click and collect online orders. Plus the people still stacking the shelves.

So those people who no longer work checkout's probably pack these orders.

My current local store is a similar size to the one I worked at, but my local seams to have more staff on duty than my workplace ever did.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #41
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
No, they are probably packing "Click and collect" orders.

When I use to work at Coles, during a regular day there would only be a few people throughout the store stacking shelves. Now at my local store sometimes when it's busy there is a staff member in every aisle packing the click and collect online orders. Plus the people still stacking the shelves.

So those people who no longer work checkout's probably pack these orders.

My current local store is a similar size to the one I worked at, but my local seams to have more staff on duty than my workplace ever did.
There you go, did not know that, but I do wish they still had people working registers for people like myself who actually walk into the store to buy stuff.

When I used to work at Franklins a long long time ago, we had around 10-12 check outs open manned by 'check out chicks', 2-3 men working the back dock (get your mind out of the gutter), 4-6 male and female staff stacking shelves and two trolley boys a store manager, an assistant manager, and a check out supervisor.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #42
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I like the self serve checkouts. I always use them where possible.

It's a faster option. And I can pack bags how I like them. Most checkout operators pack bags terribly. 2 or 3 items per bag. WTF is wrong with them?

I fill my bags full. And as a benefit, less waste, less pollution.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #43
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
That was already developed years ago .
Problem is the cost to be put on every item.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I went into the local Coles to get a slab of water for the workshop, they had a bazillion self serve checkouts going and one person on a register, the one person on the register was packed but I jumped in line anyway with my one slab of water.

The lady in front with the full trolley let me go first
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #45
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I went into the local Coles to get a slab of water for the workshop, they had a bazillion self serve checkouts going and one person on a register, the one person on the register was packed but I jumped in line anyway with my one slab of water.

The lady in front with the full trolley let me go first
Thats just common curtousy. It doesn't happen often, but I allow it when I'm the one with a packed trolley. I even do it when the lady behind has a more so packed trolly with 2 or 3 screaming kids.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #46
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another way to look at the problem is to rewind the clock back to the foundation of the country.
Australia was set up from boat loads of convicts being sent here, often for crimes like stealing.
240 Years later it is still happening......go figure.
You could almost argue it is in the DNA of some of the people of the country.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Another way to look at the problem is to rewind the clock back to the foundation of the country.
Australia was set up from boat loads of convicts being sent here, often for crimes like stealing.
Bit of a stretch, I doubt petty theft runs in peoples genes. Especially since many British convict were just poor people trying to feed themselves, not career criminals.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From personal experience I think many (most?) of those doing the stealing have no DNA links to the first fleet, most seem to be people who have English as a second language and arrived much much later.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 AM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
were just poor people trying to feed themselves.
Welcome to Australia in the 21st century! This percentage of the population is growing fast. The lucky country?? Ha.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #50
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bit of a stretch, I doubt petty theft runs in peoples genes. Especially since many British convict were just poor people trying to feed themselves, not career criminals.
Travel to Port Arthur for a propper history lesson. The whole being sent here for stealing a loaf of bread idea is a myth. Those sent here either stole far worse, stole much more than once and/ or committed far worse a crime and it was most unlikely their first time.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #51
4stanger