Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
JG3282
Awake after dark

Default 4.1 Litre Cleveland

had an interesting conversation tonight, i pulled inot the convenience store to get a bottle of drink on the way home and as i was in & out i left the car idling. before i go further, it is an XE Ghia six cylinder that has a nice lopey idle and admittedly sounds different out the exhaust.

anyway this guy who was wearing an fpr shirt and pirtek hat was there with his ba gt-p and as he walked past he goes "nice sounding machine you got there chief, wazitgotinit? A 351 clevo?"

i reply "thanks mate but its a 4.1 litre."

he then says "ahhh thats a 289 then?"

i just agreed and said "yeah its a windsor mate, wanna take a look?"

"Yep why not"

So I lift the bonnet and there staring him in the face is an Inline six cylinder engine to which he says "looks a bit different to my boss 290 but then v8's have changed a lot since then"

Luckily for me my phone rang and I beat it very quickly :MrT_anim:

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Big_Fella
TROGDOR!! The Burninator

Rotflmfao
Big_Fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

lmaoooo

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunatley some people think they know all and know jack, like all thinkgs ba gt owners (a small minority of em) think that they know all fords or that fords started at BA, just like every muzza thinks his vl was an ex BT1 with a cop chip
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282
had an interesting conversation tonight, i pulled inot the convenience store to get a bottle of drink on the way home and as i was in & out i left the car idling. before i go further, it is an XE Ghia six cylinder that has a nice lopey idle and admittedly sounds different out the exhaust.

anyway this guy who was wearing an fpr shirt and pirtek hat was there with his ba gt-p and as he walked past he goes "nice sounding machine you got there chief, wazitgotinit? A 351 clevo?"

"Yep why not"

So I lift the bonnet and there staring him in the face is an Inline six cylinder engine to which he says "looks a bit different to my boss 290 but then v8's have changed a lot since then"

That's classic... Reminds me of my supervisor... He's chevy mad, reckons he knows everything there is to know about the damn things. Says he's got some imported chevy piece of crap which no-ones seen, keeps forgetting to bring the photo's to work... Oh, and it's got a 454ci Clevo in it... ИИИИen dunce...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

AAAAAAAAAHHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Some people have no idea ... and shouldn't open their mouth.
Had a guy at work ask if i had a BOSS motor in my ute ... cos it has a lumpy idle (mind you it's just an AU EGAS engine with exhaust and filter on it).

I just gave him a WTF look ... umm ... no mate ... it has OHC stickers on the side of it ... it's not an 8.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmmmmmm and blokes like that guy with the GTP shouldnt own 1 stupid bozo crunts...... good u got outa there mate as my quote says............
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

You think you know f^ck everything, but in fact you know f^ck all.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Terina: Fords suck, I only love Holdens and Mustangs
Shane: .... I'm going to go shoot myself now...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a moron!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Leave the poor bloke alone.

He probably just defected to Ford. Bought a new car and all the clothes to try and fit it.... :

I'm surprised he didn't say 253!!! :P

Oh well, now he will tell his mates about this XE 289 he saw with monster cam!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahaha gosh, but even if you dont know a hell of alot about cars, the difference between a straight 6 and a v8 is massive..
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
hahahaha gosh, but even if you dont know a hell of alot about cars, the difference between a straight 6 and a v8 is massive..
LOL. yeah, something to do with the shape...
Old 09-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
Group C

But 4.1 litre is 250 cubic inch.
289 cubic inch is 4.7 litre.

Looks like he doesn't even know the capacity of the thing.

But I guess he right with the 'V8's have changed alot since then'.
They sure have.
They've gained 2 extra cylinders for starters..
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yeah i got a mate that tries to say he knows everything about fords so when i got my xd, i took off the air cleaner and just sat one on it off a 250 X-flow (just sitting there, not bolted on or anything) and he come up and said "wazzinit?" i said "4.1 straight six"..... he did not click....i tried to give him a clue by pointing out both sets of extractors...no response.... he later went to school and told everyone about my 250 V8!!!

yes he was laughed out of our group that day.....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282

"Yep why not"

Hah, crazy, can't blame the bloke for being enthusiastic though, hopefully he'll learn. I used to cop that sorta thing a bit when I had the XE, usually from locals. I always told em it was just the six, if they then started rambling about the "good old ford V6" it was time to walk away. :

Had an interesting experience a while back that was kinda the opposite though. I pulled up at a servo to fill up and after a confusing coupla seconds I realised that the bloke on the other side of the LPG bowser was using BOTH of the nozzles. Started chatting to him about his setup, it was a beaten up old brown XB or XC panelvan with 4.9 badges on it nothing special. Took a look under the bonnet, and daaaang, neatest engine bay I've ever seen on an X series. Old mate said it was a 380 something cube stroker, and given how quickly it dissapeared down the road when he put the boot in, i'm inclined to believe him. Awesome howl from it too. And to think I had just assumed it was just another crapheap with a tired baby clevo. :

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

What a MORON!
The thigs ya see when ya on the the way to.........(Opens up conversation for, a funny thing happened on the way to...)

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post