Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Default Help!

The situation: i want a new car
I need help in what to get. I want to get old school, something before XE with a v8, 9", c-series box etc.... My aim is to run 12's within 3 years.
HOWEVER, i can only really have one car. This is due to space at my house (still live with parents) and it would have to be a daily as well.
i drive about 50-60 k's to and from work and get caught in a bit of traffic on the morning and afternoon, which on a hot day is not ideal for my current ride.

I need help, should i go with my gut and go a worked old school car or should i get something a little more reliable (e-series onwards) and do the old school later.
I want as many opions as possible. Am i dreaming with having old school and should go newer?

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
aimzes
...fairly odd

newer and reliable.

can you afford to run an old worked V8 60kms a day in traffic? will it be safe to drive in traffic when its p***ing down? can it be parked off the road where it wont get stolen? will it be a car the cops are gonna pick on, which could make you late for work? worked motors that dont have s**t loads of cash chucked at them can be unreliable, can you afford to be late to work because it wont start?

just some things you should think about... im sure there are more "hardcore" people out there who will disagree.
Old 26-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey_XF
The situation: i want a new car
I need help in what to get. I want to get old school, something before XE with a v8, 9", c-series box etc.... My aim is to run 12's within 3 years.
HOWEVER, i can only really have one car. This is due to space at my house (still live with parents) and it would have to be a daily as well.
i drive about 50-60 k's to and from work and get caught in a bit of traffic on the morning and afternoon, which on a hot day is not ideal for my current ride.

I need help, should i go with my gut and go a worked old school car or should i get something a little more reliable (e-series onwards) and do the old school later.
I want as many opions as possible. Am i dreaming with having old school and should go newer?
well my mates car is an XE falcon with a 383(if i remember correctly) and it puts out bout 250rwhp.....now it hasnt done a quarter mile as of yet but it has done a 1/8th of which it got a time of 8.something. which equaits to around a 12sec 1/4. the 1/8 was done in full street trim etc. now he would drive to and from work during the week and then a little on weekend. it costs him on average 400 dollars for petrol a week plus 2 tyres every 2-3 weeks _2:

so yeh basically it will all depend on your driving style :dr_Evil:
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

it costs him on average 400 dollars for petrol a week plus 2 tyres every 2-3 weeks _2:

so yeh basically it will all depend on your driving style :dr_Evil:[/QUOTE]

Must need a wheel alignment to use that many front tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Been investegating. Enquirying about a car tomorrow ;)

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Tell me more
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
Must need a wheel alignment to use that many front tires !!!!!!!!!!!!!
i didnt say fronts :monkes:

mind you it does have a mini-spool....... :
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post