Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #31
Bngoold
Starter Motor

Default Re: Holden Wont Close Early Over Emissions Standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what Thailand buys from Australia or how they benefit Australia? What was the free trade agreement all about anyway? All I can see is them flooding Australia with vehicles that aren't real competitive in price but probably assembled for next to nothing, and illegal sex workers posing as student visa holders.. I for one will never buy a Thai built vehicle , as they are part of the reason why our car industry is no more.
Ultimately consumers made their choices. Ford rangers and Toyota hilux are both made in thailand and are the most popular cars on the road. Consumers killed the market by betraying local products. As with steel and as with every other industry that has failed in Australia. Time for consumers to take responsibility for their mistakes and quit blaming everyone else
Bngoold is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #32
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bngoold View Post
Ultimately consumers made their choices. Ford rangers and Toyota hilux are both made in thailand and are the most popular cars on the road. Consumers killed the market by betraying local products. As with steel and as with every other industry that has failed in Australia. Time for consumers to take responsibility for their mistakes and quit blaming everyone else
That is a very simplistic conclusion. The local car manufacturers didn't help their cause by not properly engineering and backing up their products and not making them the best they could be. That flowed on to the attitudes of the dealers. Many people got burnt with their local car purchase and many were ready to move on when the opportunity presented itself. It was a home goal by the local car industry.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #33
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
So it is the consumer's fault they found a better product in a Hilux/Ranger?
It was one they found suited their needs better and it is their fault? It's not the car maker that delivered a mediocre product? Not the business fault for rarely providing decent aftermarket service? Not the government's fault for not introducing better policy to encourage local industrial innovation? Not the local company's fault for stopping a globalisation of the car (V6 instead of I6, etc)? it's not the fault Australia sells as many cars in a year as others would in half the time, making manufacturing here really impossible to justify?

What you're suggesting here is that people waste money (usually the second biggest purchase) on a product that isn't fit for purpose, that their life is to evolve around a car? That's frightening. So, here's the deal, we're going to scrap ALL car makers here. We're going to only make one car here, it'll be a sedan and one type of engine. It's the only car you are allowed to buy.

Easy to blame consumers but when it is your own money at stake here, you want what is near the best for the price for what you need.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #34
Struggo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
That is a very simplistic conclusion. The local car manufacturers didn't help their cause by not properly engineering and backing up their products and not making them the best they could be. That flowed on to the attitudes of the dealers. Many people got burnt with their local car purchase and many were ready to move on when the opportunity presented itself. It was a home goal by the local car industry.
Both valid points, that said poor government policy has lead us to where we are today.

I myself try and buy Australian made whenever possible. For example a quick around my home and have the following,

G6E T (Gone in 2016)
TL Magna (Gone)
Westinghouse Fridge (Gone in 2017)
Westinghouse Oven (Not sure if the oven division is shutting up shop)
Furniture (when possible)
Mattresses
Clothesline (Austral - purchased last week)
Local produce first and foremost

However as my home which was built in 1997 ages, everything I go to replace has gone offshore. Here is a small example,

HPM Electrial Switches
Door Hinges / Latches
Door Hardware

Then GovCo spruiks a service based economy, yet these jobs are often shipped offshore also.

It depressing that so much industry and knowledge has or is about to disappear in the time it takes a child to grow from birth to adulthood.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #35
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
Both valid points, that said poor government policy has lead us to where we are today.

I myself try and buy Australian made whenever possible. For example a quick around my home and have the following,

G6E T (Gone in 2016)
TL Magna (Gone)
Westinghouse Fridge (Gone in 2017)
Westinghouse Oven (Not sure if the oven division is shutting up shop)
Furniture (when possible)
Mattresses
Clothesline (Austral - purchased last week)
Local produce first and foremost

However as my home which was built in 1997 ages, everything I go to replace has gone offshore. Here is a small example,

HPM Electrial Switches
Door Hinges / Latches
Door Hardware

Then GovCo spruiks a service based economy, yet these jobs are often shipped offshore also.

It depressing that so much industry and knowledge has or is about to disappear in the time it takes a child to grow from birth to adulthood.
No offence but -

G6E T (Gone in 2016) - Ford is a USA company and did not invest wisely in Oz
TL Magna (Gone) - Mitsubishi is a Japanese company and did not invest wisely in Oz
Westinghouse Fridge (Gone in 2017) - is a USA owned company
Westinghouse Oven (Not sure if the oven division is shutting up shop) - is a USA owned company

Have a read - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_of_Australia
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #36
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^
Still keeps some aussies in jobs but.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
No offence but -

G6E T (Gone in 2016) - Ford is a USA company and did not invest wisely in Oz
TL Magna (Gone) - Mitsubishi is a Japanese company and did not invest wisely in Oz
Westinghouse Fridge (Gone in 2017) - is a USA owned company
Westinghouse Oven (Not sure if the oven division is shutting up shop) - is a USA owned company

Have a read - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_of_Australia
No offence taken.

Regardless where the parent company resides, it's good for Australia,

Quote:
Research published by the Industry Capability Network shows that for every $1 million of new or retained manufacturing business in Australia, the following effects flow through the economy:
$333,900 worth of tax revenue generated
$985,000 worth of value-added generated
$95,000 worth of welfare benefits saved
10 full-time jobs created
It makes sense to buy things that have been made right here in Australia. 1 Industry Capability Network. Economic impacts of the manufacturing and services sectors 2008. (www.icn.org.au)
http://www.australianmade.com.au/why...stralian-made/
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #38
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Holden

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #39
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blind patriotism doesn't turn you into an intelligent consumer.
In isolation, assume any car built in Australia today was an import, then compare it to the wider market, would you buy it then? What benefits does it bring to the table that a car built elsewhere doesn't?
Twin cab utes are built in Thailand by virtue of their market for twin cabs is HUGE, cars must be made where the volume is.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
There is a big tax benefit in buying these vehicles. Government policy manipulating the market.

Get rid of the rorts that is the fleet industry and we will get a proper representation of the car industry.