Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #61
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Default Re: Another 'I'm in the wrong business' moment.

Back on thread.
I want to be in the business that Zilo does.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #62
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Guy that gave me the quote called me to ask why I hadn't made a booking for the work.

I explained that the price for installation was over the top and that the supply of materials was also over the top.

Tried to tell me that they don't like joining stuff together, yet he didn't have an answer as to why it was then ok to put a join over a 4m span when the product come in 3m lengths.

He then explained to me that Installation wasn't 2.5 grand. That the mounting hardware (glue / nails / sandpaper) wasn't part of the installation costs... and shouldn't be factored into the cost of installation.

He then went on to tell me that the job needs 5 'man days' of work spread out over 3 different visits. Their installation workers get $400 a day and the discrepancy is that 2 visits need 2 workers. This wasn't mentioned when I was getting info. I still recall that this whole job could be done on a Saturday.

Why 3 Visits?

1 visit to drill 8 holes and insert steel pins (using existing scaffolding).

1 day to come and install.

Final day to make sure it is right and run a bead of silicone along top join.

Yep - that's 3 whole days of work right there....

I think the guy saw the plans (it is a pretty large house) and rubbed his hands together salivating....

Anyway. The call ended with the guy saying that the price is the price and that's it...

I'm tempted to use the scrap piece he gave me and try and mount it myself on a wall that is to be rendered and see what happens...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #63
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could be the person earning good money to do the work or the person who has enough to pay them and not have to do it yourself.

Pay to get it done properly and properly is not cheap.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #64
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
You could be the person earning good money to do the work or the person who has enough to pay them and not have to do it yourself.

Pay to get it done properly and properly is not cheap.
Yes, that is true. If it was something I doubt I could do I would find other options. I have owned several investment properties and did all the maintenance work / renovations / repairs myself. Myself and my wife make good money, but I'm pretty hands on as well.

The work in question is to stick a foam backed molding to a brick wall that is to be rendered. I have a sample and a whole heap of walls that are due to be rendered.

I'll give it a shot with the sample and if I think I can do it I'll buy the materials and do the lot.

If the price was right I would give them the job. I'm certainly NOT paying over 2k in labour to stick 3 bits of foam molding over 3 windows.

The guy on the phone couldn't explain where the money is going for the install. Nor could he explain how such a simple job turns into a job that requires 3 site visits. Each site visit would be no more than 2hrs, and that is really stretching it, yet he is charging me a whole day rate x 5...

C'mon...

Myself and my builder scrutinize every quote weather it is for $3k or $100k. When we think the price doesn't justify the work we find other options.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 30-03-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 30-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #65
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Yes, that is true. If it was something I doubt I could do I would find other options. I have owned several investment properties and did all the maintenance work / renovations / repairs myself. Myself and my wife make good money, but I'm pretty hands on as well.

The work in question is to stick a foam backed molding to a brick wall that is to be rendered. I have a sample and a whole heap of walls that are due to be rendered.

I'll give it a shot with the sample and if I think I can do it I'll buy the materials and do the lot.

If the price was right I would give them the job. I'm certainly NOT paying over 2k in labour to stick 3 bits of foam molding over 3 windows.

The guy on the phone couldn't explain where the money is going for the install. Nor could he explain how such a simple job turns into a job that requires 3 site visits. Each site visit would be no more than 2hrs, and that is really stretching it, yet he is charging me a whole day rate x 5...

C'mon...

Myself and my builder scrutinize every quote weather it is for $3k or $100k. When we think the price doesn't justify the work we find other options.
Sounds like he didnt want the work. Usually that's what happens when a company just isn't interested unless its a killing. Good to see you are trying to keep them honest. By the sounds of it, its a 1 day job at most. Even at $80p/h + gst for 8hrs that's $704 maximum for labor If they added materials, what is that? $200? So inflating the price to 1k would be worse case scenario. How can those clowns justify 2k I dont know.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #66
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These guys are generally dumber than my dog so it is slightly irritating how they make such a killing $$ wise..
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #67
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
These guys are generally dumber than my dog so it is slightly irritating how they make such a killing $$ wise..
Just wanting to clarify your statement, are you referring to tradespeople in general or just the percentage that try to rip people off? The opinion is rather ambiguous.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #68
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Smarter than you if they run a business that generates good profit?
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
A lot of white collar workers think that us tradesman should be like the USA, get paid $10/hour cash in hand like heaps of illegal Mexicans, find us sitting around at our local Bunnings on the kerb, wave ol mate Banjo Patterson at us out the window and we'll jump in the back of your ute.

No hablo Inglés!

The way wages are for auto tradies I'm not too far above the illegal Mexican to be honest, you can find me sitting on the kerb at Bursons/SCA, wave Queen Elizabeth II at me and I'll fix your car LOL.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-04-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #70
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bit of an update....

Toyed around with using the product from the original quote but pondered it for a while and thought that there must be a better way.

The original product was a foam cored profile similar to below. The sample I got was slightly smaller in size, around 130mm at the back and perhaps 200mm deep. The profile then has a 5mm thick flexible render-like coating over the foam.

Would have set me back around $800 to just buy the profiles alone.

These are the 3 windows I needed covered:

Side window:

Long profile above garage door and windows:

Above round window:

Have a friend in the building supply industry that was able to score Hebel 'seconds' for free. Put in the order for picked up 15 of 600x100x200 and the same qty of 600x75x100. They have various chips and gouges but were fine for what I needed.

The idea was to add a splay to the top surface to create a slight down hill ramp for rain to not pool. This took around 2hrs to do as I needed to cut from both ends as the saw only had a cut depth of 70mm.

Bought a bag of Hebel adhesive and 12x130mm dyna bolts to glue and bolt them into the wall. I ended up getting the bolts for free from my neighbour as he is also in the building game and had about 40 sitting around.

I did intend to use Gal bolts but they will never be exposed to water as they are totally sealed. So far I'm out of pocket $30 for the bag of Hebel glue.

Counter sank the dyna bolts and started with the first course of 100mm blocks. Added washers under the dyna bolt nuts as this Hebel stuff is really brittle. The washers set me back around $9.

Had my better half helping me.. she is a bloody champion

And our supervisor was so pleased with our work she decided to take a nap:

I filled all the gaps and left that to dry overnight. That Hebel glue dries like rock - the first course isn't going to be moving any time soon.

Started on the last layer - cut a drip line into it like the profile using a router:

Used an offcut from the 100mm deep section to check that they match:

Stuck on the 2nd layer using glue and 100mm gal roofing screws. Started with a half panel so that the joins overlap on the centre of the first run.

Didn't get pics of the other windows as it was too dark and I was working under lights.

Renderer has been and has rendered around the first and 2nd window. I'm very pleased with the results... it's solid, you could walk on the ledge if you wanted to and I bet you couldn't do that with the foam filled stuff.

Didn't have time to do the 2nd run on the round window so renderer did up to the Hebel and I finished it off last night.

He has done away with the drip channel I noticed.

Free Hebel, free dyna bolts, $30 for the glue, $9 for the washers, $17 for the 100mm gal roof screws and I chipped in lunch for the mate who was helping me.

Took 2hrs to cut the 100mm bits, 2hrs to cut the 70mm bits and 30min to do the drip groove.

Took 3hrs to mount the first row and prob less than 2 hrs in total to do the 2nd row.

Had I started with the correct materials I would not have needed to do any cutting so in all honesty it really was a job that could have been knocked over in half a day by 2 guys that knew what they were doing and had the right tools at hand.

Once it's all rendered over it more closely matches the plans as well, the side pillars nearly match the Hebel in terms of width - to top section would have been much thinner should I have used the foam stuff.

I'm not a builder but I personally think I did an alright job considering I have never done this sort of work before. The $3000+ I saved will go towards other expenses

All up, I would have got change from $100 for actual expenses...

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 13-05-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 13-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #71
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

you did a pretty dam good job there if I do say so myself. The finished product looks spot on. Was there any need for articulation joints in the plinth itself?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #72
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
you did a pretty dam good job there if I do say so myself. The finished product looks spot on. Was there any need for articulation joints in the plinth itself?
Thanks! The original product was going to be installed in much the same way.

When this render dries it will be done over with a second layer of acrylic render and that stuff is really flexible. The renderer gave me a sample on a bit of plastic the size of a smokes box and I could near bend it into a circle.

The renderer is happy with my work and I gave instructions to not go over it if he thinks it wasn't a good job...

He himself suggested a wooden frame clad in blue board as another option when I met with him on site a few weeks ago. I think (hope!) my way is better.

Old 13-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #73
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I think your way is definitely better. lightweight framing and blueboard is a cheap way out of it, but I have found that unless the corners have been flushed properly, you can kind of tell it's a little fake. Of course the quality of the renderer makes a lot of difference too.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #74
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate, youre in the wrong game!
Nice to see Yellow Jr in the pram helping out

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #75
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Top effort fella, great work..............
Old 14-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #76
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Good job.
They will be getting you to do some repairs to the Sphinx in Egypt, if they find you out.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #77
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
Good job.
They will be getting you to do some repairs to the Sphinx in Egypt, if they find you out.
Thanks,

Had a close look at it last time I was there... does need a bit of work!

The other ironic thing about your comment is that my builder and many of my tradies are Egyptian lol

3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #78
towtaltowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
$600 to have a dishwasher installed in my new house a few months ago.

Was for a new house, so all the connections were there, plumber just needed to run the piping for the plumbing and then push the dishwasher into place. Took him 2 hours to do apparently.
and i thought i was charging too much at doing them for $50
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post