Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drivers licence suspension - Anyone had one before?

Just finished my courtmention applying for a restricted licence, denied the application. Magistrate said restricted licences are for people who would be putting extreme financial hardship, for example single income home owners where the worker requires their car for work (tradie, living in the country etc). So I'm off the road until April 2015). Some fellow in front of me was caught driving on a two year disqualification, was given 1 month in prison. Well, I have no plans of following in his footsteps
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like it's time to make way in parliament for the AMEP.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
Just finished my courtmention applying for a restricted licence, denied the application. Magistrate said restricted licences are for people who would be putting extreme financial hardship, for example single income home owners where the worker requires their car for work (tradie, living in the country etc). So I'm off the road until April 2015). Some fellow in front of me was caught driving on a two year disqualification, was given 1 month in prison. Well, I have no plans of following in his footsteps
If you are going to use something with a motor, such as an motorised bike or skateboard, just make sure you can ride it without a licence.

You can still get booked for being in control of a vehicle while under suspension if your "Vehicle" (motorised bike or Skateboard) has a motor that exceeds limits.

I am unsure what the limits are, but I would check just in case.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #34
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
Some fellow in front of me was caught driving on a two year disqualification, was given 1 month in prison. Well, I have no plans of following in his footsteps
If he had beaten his wife, kids and or bashed the living hell out of someone irreparably changing someone's life, he would have got less....
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #35
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel like if a cop pulled me over on a skateboard it would just be bad luck because I caught them on a bad day lol

Or even better just to stick to bike paths etc
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #36
XW-BAXR6T

Never ever lost / got license suspended since i first got it in 1985, so dont know!!

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #37
noddy383

There may have been updates, but I remember the laws being pretty strict on power limits of electric bikes etc. found this while looking: http://www.ata.org.au/wp-content/upl...gistration.pdf

200W and 10km/h isn't much, but it's still easier than walking if you have a fair way to go. I suppose it just comes down to how the cops feel if they happen to pull you over. If the bike is designed to be primarily pedal-powered and the motor is a backup (even if you really us it all the time) it is classified as a bicycle and not a motor vehicle. Nice little work-around if you have the gear to fit a little engine to your pushy.
noddy383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #38
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's what I figured too. I mean people use those ebike scooter things all over surfers paradise and they're all 800w+ so surely it's not as heavily monitored or enforced. I mean ebikes, powered bikes scooters and skateboards etc are all unregistered anyway. It really does seem like if a cop pulled me over and said "mate are you licenced to ride that skateboard?" I would feel he is really just having a bad day

"are you aware that your skateboard is a high powered vehicle there mate"

If that happens I feel like the court may be confused on charges of operating a high powered skateboard
Old 10-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People get killed riding pushies so I'd say it would certainly warrant more attention if you were riding some powered form of the same thing. Just make sure you can do so without a licence.

If were in a trade I could imagine it would be painful unless someone is willing to pick you up and drive you around. Hell I ride a desk and it would suck to ride a bus

Last edited by MITCHAY; 10-10-2014 at 11:56 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy383 View Post
There may have been updates, but I remember the laws being pretty strict on power limits of electric bikes etc. found this while looking: http://www.ata.org.au/wp-content/upl...gistration.pdf

200W and 10km/h isn't much, but it's still easier than walking if you have a fair way to go. I suppose it just comes down to how the cops feel if they happen to pull you over. If the bike is designed to be primarily pedal-powered and the motor is a backup (even if you really us it all the time) it is classified as a bicycle and not a motor vehicle. Nice little work-around if you have the gear to fit a little engine to your pushy.
yes 200/250 watts is fairly weak, my brother has a 250 watt hub motor kit mounted to an old cheap chinese mountain bike, it winds up eventually to about 20 kph with a tail wind, its slow, but it beats pedaling for short distance.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #41
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lost my licence twice back to back. First 6 months then the week after getting it back another month. Being a consultant and needing to visit clients my boss wasn't too happy. Worst part was taking two trains to work then a long walk. From work the company paid for taxis to get me around.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 days into being without a licence and it still kinda sucks. As I said here is the frankenboard which is currently at the auto electrician having a 1500W motor being retrofitted to upgrade from the 800W

Regarding the laws I figured it's worth talking to someone who knows and so I spoke to Legal Aid (seemed the best people to ask about any ambiguous laws) and they had stated over the phone that any vehicles over 250W of power are not to be ridden on footpaths or bike paths along the road and they require no licence. However off road paths, skate parks, on your own land etc there is no licence or power requirements. Basically means I am able to stick to bike paths which aren't alone the side of a road with no barrier etc although I'm able to ride along dedicated bike paths through parks, under freeways etc etc.

Also when I picked up Frankenboard on the weekend it is a friggen monster of a skateboard and it weighed a good 30kg lol so I wouldn't really be able to take it comfortably on trains or buses etc so I also picked myself up a longboard with decent bearings to cruise around the gold coast on

I've also picked up a pushy from someone here in Burleigh who removes old buggered and rusted bikes and fixes them up, bought it for $30 and it's at the bike shop having the brakes and gears tightened for a total cost of another $30. So that's three modes of transport plus public transport I'm able to use now however my travel time has increased a fair bit as I skated to the gym and back in what was normally a 7 minute drive is now a 30 minute skate along the canals in Burleigh. Plus a skate to the bus stop and taking the bus to work in Robina is a total of 30 minutes with what was normally a 15 minute drive as well. Not too bad as I was thinking it's going to take me hours to get around everywhere but as long as I have access to work and the gym I'm happy haha. I had to quit my weekend job as a wedding DJ as I needed to drive to gigs, and so now I'm looking for other DJ work in broadbeach and surfers paradise clubs which obviously have their own equipment so I only have to show up with music and do my thing

I also gave my keys to my cars to mum as I was feeling tempted to drive, thinking 'it's only just a short drive I'll be right' so I have had a few moments of weakness but I know it's probably a lot better to ride and skate around for 6 months instead of risking 2 years disqualification or prison! so now even if I do convince myself I'll be ok to drive I don't know where any of my keys are lol