Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
cowboy
Cowboy

Default Importing tyres from the States - anyone done it?

I'm chasing some 11.00x16 Michelin NATO military tyres, reasonable cheap and easy to get in the states but seem to be impossible in Aus. Has anyone imported tyres and can recommend a carrier? I'd rather buy them is Aus but just can't find them.

1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Importing tyres from the States - anyone done it?

Try www.tirerack.com

I bought four 33" diameter 4wd mud terrain tyres, saved $800 and had them on my doorstep six days after sending the international money order from my netbanking. This was in 2011 when the dollar was at $1.09, so the savings aren't there any more, but still worth a look.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

OK here's what I wrote up on my tirerack purchase, for the myswag.org camper trailer forum. I actually bought eight all up - another four after the success of the first purchase.

For those who have asked about the costs etc. with importing tyres through Tire Rack:

285/70R17 BFG TA KM2 - US$260... that is AUD$247 today*.

The best over the phone quote I got was AUD$490... hands up who thinks that's a reasonable mark-up? but that's not why I'm doing it, I simply want KM2s and there is no other way for me to get them.

I am doing it in two lots, to avoid undue attention at the border post. In each lot Tyre Rack have split the order further, so in all there are four separate shipments of 2 tyres per shipment. This is because things get a bit hazy as to whether freight is or isn't included in the total that Customs applies for the Gerry Harvey Memorial Import Threshold of $1000. Indications are that freight is excluded, and four tyres at US$264 works out at AUD$986 today* which means they should scrape in without attracting duty etc. but I decided their split order suggestion would be good to ensure we are well under the threshold. Freight costs were relatively unaffected by the split i.e. four tyres in one order or two tyres in two orders, freight was about the same.

* Only 5 days ago the same tyres went over AUD$1000 so make sure you know the conversion rate on the day you commit the funds

With the split orders, I paid US$799 per pair, inclusive of freight - so on face value there is no reason for Customs to look twice at each shipment. There are two sets of two tyres in transit right now, they use Fedex and I am tracking the orders online. The moment they touch down in Oz, I do the next order for the other four.

They say 3-5 days from confirmation of payment to delivery, I paid Thursday 26-May, online tracking suggests they arr on schedule to be here on Thursday 2-Jun and will be fitted within a day or two. The other four will go onto the spare and CT a week or so later (anyone want to buy the never-used STT 285/70R17 off my spare?)

Additional costs

Payment - Tire Rack will not accept Australian credit cards, or Paypal. Wire transfer only. This is actually even simpler than cc's or Paypal, assuming you have cash in the bank for the transaction - I just went to my NAB internet banking's 'Funds Transfer' section and selected 'New International Transfer', then put in the details Tire Rack sent me. The fee here was $22.

Fitting - Make sure your preferred tyre supplier/fitter is ok about fitting your imported tyres before you even request a quote. I went into my local small-town tyre guy and explained that I knew he could not get KM2s for me - no-one can - but if I could source them could he fit them? Yep, no problem. If lots of people start doing this then fitters might start baulking... but anyway, this method will only last as long as the AUD$ is strong so make hay while the sun shines, I say I'm getting them fitted for $15 per tyre (and as an aside, bloody cheap fitting cost because he uses a $7k balancer that holds the wheel by the lug holes, rather than a cone in the centre hole - which is never accurately machined to be in the dead centre of the wheel)

So... total cost for 8 imported 33" KM2s including freight, wire transfer fee and fitting is AUD$3130

That compares to a local cost of $3920 - a saving of $790, or near enough to $100 per tyre. Not bad, but as I said my main driver here is simply getting KM2s onto the rig, so I am a very happy camper I'd have paid local prices if they could sell the tyres to me.

The last thing worth noting - no warranty on the tyres as they weren't sold locally. I think the KM2s are fairly well proven now but maybe don't do this with a tyre that's new to the market in case any design issues surface later.

In a nutshell:

1. Determine how you are going to have your tyres fitted locally
2. Check current exchange rate to ensure it is financially viable, and do calculations re. import duty threshold
3. Go here and request a quote; ensure you provide all the information they request. I used Damon as my customer contact and he was great to deal with: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/derric...t-to-australia

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:57:40 AM by Squalo »
1969 Kombi
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a set of continentals thru tirerack in jan if not dec. I got it done as 2 separate orders to keep under 1k. Didn't work out much different if I had of paid gst but anyway..
I tried to get them in Aus but no one kept the size I was after for the rears so I got them altogether.

They were great to deal with & as above took about 6 days to get here
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
cowboy
Cowboy

That's some great info there guys, thanks. I had a look at the Tirerack, unfortunately they don't sell what I want but have sent an email follow up anyway. Back to the drawing board.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you tried Antique Tyres in Melbourne? Catalogue lists a range of Military tyres but most are Firestone. Give them a call as they may be able to get what you want.
I imported a set of Silvertown Redlines about 5 years back, all looked good in theory but didn't save much after duty, GST and then getting them from Coffs Harbour(came in a mate of a mates container) down to Melbourne.
Cheers, Dave
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
cowboy
Cowboy

Last time I visited Antique Tyre it cost me 7 grand! Definitely worth a call though. The point of importing these isn't so much to save money, I just can't find them in Aus.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Last time I visited Antique Tyre it cost me 7 grand! Definitely worth a call though. The point of importing these isn't so much to save money, I just can't find them in Aus.
Exactly why I went to Tirerack - the BFG KM2 is the most kickarse mud terrain tyre going, and there was a six month wait for 17" ones when I needed them. No way I was waiting that long to pay 25% more!

I gave my local tyre guy the chance to price-match as he had mentioned a contact in Canada, and if it had been close his mate would have got the deal - but the difference was too much to ignore. Local tyre guy gets all my other business though.
1969 Kombi
Old 16-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Robos F6

Tire Rack just quoted me $248 Freight only for 2 tyres 255/35/19 To Vic. Plus the $250 each tyre so comes to $748 US Dollar. By the time i pay exchange and fitment its not worth it. Tyres rougly sell 350-400 Aussie.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Bosko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guy's,

Tyres in Australia have come down substantially in the last 18 months and will continue to come down in price but to a lesser extent. Do your homework first and always check locally as well.

By the time you pay freight and then have to pay to have them fitted and balanced it will probably end up the same or more expensive!

Previous
1973 XB GT Coupe 351 4V, 4spd Top Loader and 9" Diff
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I did it late last year for a pair of BFG G-Force Comp Sport in 255/50x16. Very hard to get here. The only place that had them was Stuckeys and I thought the price was steep.

Tire rack were very quick on delivery but I thought not accepting a credit card or PayPal was a pain in the butt. By the time the bank applied a fee and an unfavourable exchange rate I still saved a little off Stuckeys price but not as much as I thought.

Where I did win was the tyres were factory fresh whereas the ones at Stuckeys were nearly 2 years old.

Unless you're chasing a size or brand you can't get here it's not really worth doing.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Robos F6

$500 US quote to ship 4 tyres to Australia from tyrerack. Very steep.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I got 4 tyres off tirerack a few years ago, from memory shipping was under $300. Paid about the same shipping on 4 wheels previous to that, things have obviously changed if that's the case.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Tirerack have obviously seen how much extra gouging us Aussies are prepared to accept with the freight going up as much as has in the past few years. That all cant be due to exchange rate.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I got 4 tyres off tirerack a few years ago, from memory shipping was under $300. Paid about the same shipping on 4 wheels previous to that, things have obviously changed if that's the case.
Unfortunately this is often the case.
Sellers will always try to charge whatever the market can handle, and the easiest way to differentiate to charge Australians exorbitant freight rates.

I have also noticed that freight prices seem to vary a lot over time. I guess when there is a lot of spare capacity prices fall, but in the lead up to Christmas they would skyrocket.

NB: For tyres, do you really need airfreight, or can you afford to wait?